“Basic rooms in need of some tlc... lovely bar.. great staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ballsbridge Hotel

Ballsbridge Hotel
Ranked #90 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Basic rooms in need of some tlc... lovely bar.. great staff”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was my SEVENTH stay at this hotel and i have always been happy with this hotel... Firstly I have to say what I look for on my stays in Dublin is somewhere to put my head at night..mostly my trips are based on nights out, going to concerts, girlie weekends etc... I was suprised when I arrived for our stay.. the hotel has been nicely renovated on the ground floor (due to a flood last year) so it is mostly the ground floor which has been updated. With it the hotel has taken away everything I loved about it, the pizza parlour, the hair dressers, the shop, the coffee dock. Our stay was perfect, the staff were all lovely.. we ate in the bar twice and everyone was happy with their meals... prices were reasonable and portion sizes were huge. I have no complaints we had a lovely stay.. I just wish they bring back the best bits of the hotel ( well what i consider the best bits) :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mail4ter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Yes - the location is away from the heart of this sort of charmless city (Cork is way nicer)...but that's just the part of this hotels issues.

Car park (btw...do NOT drive in Dublin) charges and stale linen get there before the location. On the plus side we encounterted a very helpful man at front desk.

I would not recommend this hotel; but again...maybe we just hit it on a bad day (it was very busy.)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jarleth H

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Boston, MA
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I'm a pretty no frills traveler - all I require is "safe and clean". The hotel was safe, but cleanliness is an issue. Mold on the bathroom walls, peeling paint from the ceilings, broken telephone, stained blanket, and a mattress that was stained by something that could have been blood or old coffee (I only discovered this as I was checking out!). The heater rattled loudly at night, and there is noise from the street. The walls are thin, and I was woken every night by other guests in the hallway or in their rooms.

The hotel is quite a walk to city center (about 20-25 minutes), which can be hard if you are the kind of traveler who likes to put your feet up for part of the day.

The property is in massive need of refurbishing. You can tell the hotel was once very lovely (perhaps in the early 90s), but has not been cared for much since then. I would not stay here again. I was not sad to leave.

On the neutral side, the bed is quite firm. That's great if you like firm beds. It's not great if you prefer soft beds.

On the positive side, I will say the staff was very nice and kind.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SuezqBoston_MA
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Having booked in to this hotel with Sergio the most ignorant member of staff I have ever met, I knew it was going to be a long night. The hotel is fine after that but I advise their management to get rid of this member of staff or they will suffer in the future,,what an ignorant person

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Parkingmad
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights over St Patricks day weekend. Lovely and peaceful apart from the night of Paddys day thanks to noisy drunks at 4am. But that isn't the hotels fault. The hotel is really easy to get to from Dublin Airport as Aircoach stops right outside and buses operate regularly. The hotel entrance is very grand but the rooms are not to the same standard yet, the hotel was clearly doing room updates whilst we were there. I stayed in a triple room, which was a very good size. Rooms were clean and comfy. If you can live with a little bit of peeling wallpaper, then for 60euro a night its a bargain.The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. City centre is only a 20 minute walk away. Will definately be staying again next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Juliette R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at the Ballsbridge Hotel for three nights on business. I took an Aircoach from the airport (€8 single or €14 return), which stopped right outside the hotel, on the corner of Lansdowne Road and Pembroke Road. The bus driver referred to it as “D4 Ballsbridge”, and I had my reservation booked for me by work as ‘Ballsbridge Inn’, but the hotel livery clearly states ‘Ballsbridge Hotel’.

An uninspiring looking building contains a more impressive lobby, where I was greeted by a very cheery receptionist who, in her charming broken English, thanked me for staying with them at least four times during check in. Access to the rooms is through a door requiring a room key card for added security, and is monitored by CCTV.

My triple room (i.e. with a double bed and a single) was on the second floor, and was very large. The décor is rather ‘traditional’ and in need of an update, but the room was very clean. There were unsightly cup rings on the desk, the wired-in hair dryer had no actual hair dryer attached, and the phone in the bathroom was so smashed up it looked like someone had been bashed in with it. Surely it would be relatively cheap to replace these appliances, even cheaper to remove them altogether. The heating system must be very arcane as it made a horrific clunking sound when it kicked in so I simply switched off the radiator. Moreover the room overlooked the flat roof of the dining area with the associated perpetual humming of industrial air-conditioning units.

I was surprised that there was no information folder in the room, so I had to ring reception to confirm when breakfast would be served and how to connect to the wifi. Internet access was €11.95 for two days, and I was surprised in a conference hotel that it was not offered for free, and even more that I had to go to reception to obtain a code.

There is a decent pub restaurant in the hotel (The Dubliner) which serves wholesome pub style dishes at around €10-14 for a main. According to the waiter if gets very busy when there are games on at the nearby rugby stadium. There is also a restaurant (Raglans) which serves a fixed price menu. This is also where breakfast was served, which was the usual hot and cold buffet. I ordered two poached eggs from the waitress, with only scrambled on offer, and they were excellent. The sausages were a little disappointing, but the black pudding, tomatoes and bacon were all very good. Items for the continental breakfast were very varied, including several types of salami, rye breads and a myriad of cheeses.

All in all, the hotel needs some updating, especially in the down-at-heel bedrooms. I was cheered to see that further down my corridor there were painters and decorators at work in a couple of rooms, clearly giving them a total overhaul. Until this work on the rooms is done, I would stay for business, but go elsewhere for a holiday hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor or above to avoid the possibility of being kept awake by the resta...