“Friendly, welcoming and warm”
Review of Egans House

Egans House
Ranked #24 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Craigavon, United Kingdom
“Friendly, welcoming and warm”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and me stayed here last night for one night, for the Maddonna concert. The staff were so welcoming and helpful, Lisa on reception give us a voucher for 10% of nearby bar, and even ordered the taxi to take us to the stadium.Monica also give us a very welcoming greeting. Lovely place to stay weather it is one night or longer, breakfast this morning was very nice and lots of it. We hope to return soon and stay longer, I would recommend the friendly guest house to anyone! Thank you Egans!

EgansHouse, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you Jacqueline for your lovely review and look forward to seeing you again. Monica.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The place itself was nothing special, the room was small but I didn't expect much. Is close to the city by bus. The staff is very helpful but the housekeeping is not really efficient. If you want internet you need to pay extra 8 euros per day and for breakfast another 10 euros extra.

EgansHouse, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your review and especially your very positive comments about the reception staff. WiFi used to cost €5 per 24 hours but has been free since 11/6/12. It never cost €8 and so i wonder if you are mixing us up with another hotel or if it has been quite a while since you stayed here. In any case we have recently finished upgrading the lounge areas and some of the rooms. I am uncertain what you mean by the housekeeping staff not being efficient as the breakfast is self service. Perhaps it was a very busy time when you visited.
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Excellent value, clean, very convenient location, Heater, in-room hair dryer, tv , wifi , nice living room - enjoyed the family atmosphere with other guests. We felt like 'Guests' and not just Customers. Egans House is great place to stay, the owners are pleasant, and they make you feel welcome. This was our first stay and if we are ever in Dublin again, this would be our first choice for a place to stay.We wish Pat and Monica every success.

1 Thank Zayed_Abu_Dhabi
EgansHouse, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review. You were a lovely couple. Hope to see you again.

Pat
Lancashire
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in Nov 2011 and wanted a cheap and cheerful place to sleep - that's certainly what we got! The staff there are lovely and ever so helpful. The public areas were clean but could have done with an update but we weren't fussy. The room was bigger than I expected and the beds were comfy. The bathroom was small and a bit tired looking.

The guesthouse is on the outskirts of Dublin and you will need to catch a bus into the city centre but it was only a few Euros and worth it considering how much cheaper this guesthouse was than other city centre hotels.

Would recommend this guesthouse to anyone wanting a cheap alternative to a city centre hotel. Just be aware - you get what you pay for so as long as you're prepared for 3* standards (which we were) you'll be happy.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Kerrylg
, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments. Pat Finn.
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stopped here for the westlife concert. Was literally walking distance to croke park but you couldn't hear any noise from Friday nights concert. tidy hotel nice spacious room we stopped in a3. Hotel staff couldn't be more helpful. And was an.absolute bargain. Would deffo come back thanks

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. Hope to see you again. Pat Finn
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed in a single room. Could barely open my luggage without hitting a wall, the bed or window. Dated furniture, bed and dressings. Carpet had not been vacuumed in what looked like months. Bathroom light was out, wet cloth left on window sill, light outside room was also out so at night, you're feeling your way around to get your door open. I promptly mentioned these deficiencies to the front desk and the gent came and got the wet rag immediately and checked out my other complaints. Later that evening at 8:45pm, I get a knock at the door to fix my bathroom light. I was already in pj's, but offered to let them come in and fix it. First fix did not work, manager showed up 10 mins later and fixed the problem. Light outside my door was never fixed during my 3-day stay there. Internet was available for a fee. Got a code that did not work. Had to wait until gent at front desk was done with another guest so he could come and re-set the computer. The 2nd day, I ran out of toilet paper. Garbage was not picked up so my room smelled after I got back from a full day of touring around. There was no hot water in the shower so I resorted to using a towel soaked in my sink as this was the only place I could get hot water after it ran for 10 mins. I did not eat here, so I cannot comment. I could hardly wait to check out after the first night so I stayed away as long as I could until it was time to check out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ves C
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Both my husband and I stayed at Egan's for one night in June.....and I can honestly say that I've never ever felt strongly enough about any location either good or bad to write a review as I feel after leaving Egan's. And I'm sorry to say this is bad very bad... It all started well kindly greeted by the receptionist and then we got to our room. The room was tiny and whilst a double bed I had to climb over my husband to get in and out of bed. There was no access from one side of the bed because it was against a wall and bottom of the bed was approx a foot from the dressing table.. We couldnt get in or out of the room or ensuite without moving our modestly sized overnight bags because this was the only vacant floor space in the room.. But the straw that broke the camels back was that the radiator in the room was turned to the highest temperature and the control knob was broken off... We had no way to turn down the temperature.... Therefore we had to leave the window in the ensuite and door open when we returned to the room late at night to cool the room...... Whilst it did cool the room a little.... Didn't get a wink of sleep because of the dripping tap in the ensuite sink.....

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank AWalsh09
, Owner at Egans House, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for your review and especially for your nice comments about the staff. The recession has not hit us as hard as many Dublin guesthouses/hotels. Business is up nearly 20% for the first 6 months of 2012 as compared to the same period in 2011 and so we must be doing something right!
You stayed on a night when Westlife had a concert in Croke Park and this explains the high price you paid - supply and demand and so on.
The room is small but on the other hand it is at the end of a corridor and so is very quiet.
Appreciating that the room is small we put in a superb quality mattress which is a foot thick. There is a large wardrobe for luggage.
You may have accidentally knocked off the thermostatic valve but it was not broken and obviously is not positioned well in the room.
I re-connected it the following day, something that I could have done the previous night in less than a minute had reception been informed ( just dial zero).
When I checked the next day the shower was dripping and I apologise for this. Your comments have been very helpful. Pat Finn