“Excellent food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Excellent food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've tried to book this place a few times, but have been told they don't take bookings,,, However upon arrival on Tuesday night on spec, we were told we could only have a table for an hour because they had another booking at 8pm... Still not sure what their policy is... Also felt we were frowned upon to some degree because we wanted a table for 2 rather than a bar stool. I'm not long over back surgery and can't get comfortable at the best of times at a table never mind a high chair! I can understand why some people are taking offence to it and leaving, and I would like to say that I've heard the same story a few times out and about..,, not good for a reputation, when in fact the offering is really good...

In saying that once we were settled, waiting staff were friendly. Food was wonderful, chorizo taco (€4 for 2 as it was taco Tuesday), tuna sashimi tostado (as good as Nobu food!), oysters.... We stared one main between us a beef skirt steak with chimichurri and some really delicious crispy fried potatoes and a black bean puree (to my recollection)... Truly delicious, testament to the fact that tougher cuts have a gazillion times more flavour... Himself had Mexican flan for dessert, and having lived and worked In Mexico for a couple of years declares himself an expert in good Mexican food, he adored it! Great value, partly because we only shared a main and had starters to share instead, and I was the only drinker... I had two gorgeous gin & ginger cocktails, to die for, but boy did I feel it the next morning! The total bill came to €85 aprox...

Good value, great food, mediocre welcome, but that warmed up.... I will be back, but I would ask the management to try warm up the welcome, and loosen the one hour rule somewhat. It puts people's backs up and that in itself is a viscous circle!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Beaded

• Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Atmosphere but at a price!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Visited here on Saturday night for a birthday treat and have been dying to try it for awhile.
We had to wait awhile for a table but did not mind this, its very easy to wander somewhere local for a drink whilst waiting.
Got seated at the bar which I also didn't mind, it lent to the fun atmosphere being so close to where all the cocktails were being mixed.
The starters and small dishes were really good and typical Mexican, however although the mains were nice, these were definitely overpriced, we got the ribs and the steak and at between 20-25 for each of these, both tasted good but were overpriced for what you got.
I would go back and stick to the starters and small dishes as I feel these are better value and more authentic.

• Visited March 2013
“The future is tacos!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Ate here for my girlfriends birthday while in Dublin for the weekend with friends from Dublin that had heard it was good. First impressions the decor is really cool, not too over the top and tastefully finished. The music was loud but added to the elating atmosphere. We ordered cocktails which were all fantastic, mine was a frozen margarita which was the best Iv had. We ordered a mix of 'small' plates to share to start all tasting fantastic and full of mexican flavours: spicy, citrus, salty, sweet, fresh, an explosion of flavours! For mains I had steak medium rare and was cooked to perfection! I have to say it's a big risk opening a place like this because not everyone will get it but they tend to be quite bland people which this place surely isn't! Everything about this place is flavourful the decor, drinks, music and staff! I 'got it' and will be back

2 Thank me_daz
“Avoid”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I don't mind spending a lot on food when it is good food I'm actually getting and as much as I wanted to like 777 I left with a bad taste in my mouth. The food is far too expensive for what you are actually getting and the staff were rather rude to one of my colleagues. I thought the cocktails would be a saving grace for the evening but again too expensive and overrated. The whole experience was a let down and the cuisine incredibly uninspired, I shall not be returning in the future.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank alice g
“Great spot”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Came here on a Sunday night with two other couples (6 top). Got a booking for half 8. Got a call to confirm the booking and was told in advance about the limited menu in operation on a Sunday (the 777 Sunday promotion).
To get the negatives out of the way. Music was too loud for my liking. The DJ girl seemed off her head! Plenty of booze flowing behind the bar!! The waiter was on the verge of being awful but we loved him. He kinda disappeared for ages at a time but we went with the flow and he turned out to be a gem!
Our group - one pregnant lady with a shellfish allergy. One vegetarian (doesn't eat fish or meat). The rest have no particular needs.
Waiter sorted out the vegetarian and got the chef to make an additional plate for her which wasn't on the menu.
Margaritas were awesome! Mocktails (non alcoholic cocktails) were superb!
Food was sensational. Nachos, shrimp and grits, salted cod was my lot. Excellent. All other dishes were enjoyed thoroughly.
Bill for 6 people on a boozy night was 210 approx. Excellent value.
All in all a fantastic spot and I can't wait to go back!
PLEASE TURN DOWN THE MUSIC A BIT!

• Visited February 2013