“Last Experience Turned Me Off Completely”
Review of Keshk Cafe

Keshk Cafe
Ranked #10 of 2,699 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had been to the restaurant in Leeson street (now known as Aladdin's Cave) about 4 times and would have rated it 4 out of 5.

It was my birthday and as I knew that there was one on Mespil road that was bigger, I booked a table for 17 people before going out in town to have a bite to eat. I had emailed the menus to friends during the week to give them idea of the food as they hadn't eaten there before. There would be a mix of people skipping starters and maybe 2 starters as a main course and so on...

To start with, the waitresses were very friendly and had a joke with everyone arriving and the ambience and decor was really nice.

HOWEVER this quickly changed. They provided set menus on the table already for €27.00 per person. I know this is good value IF everyone wanted a starter and main course, but that wasn't the case and they didn't make me aware of this over the phone and I didn't see anything on the website.

This issue didn't bother me as much as the way that it was handled.
I asked for the a-la-carte menus, but the head waitress was insistant that it had to be the set menu and that I was told this over the phone.

I said that there was no mention of this otherwise I wouldn't have booked the restaurant or let my party know in advance. Also, it isn't mentioned on the website and if it is, it is hidden well.

After the waitress had spoken to the manager, she came back and said she would take €1 off the price and also that the manager was 'pissed off'?????.
I explained that I'd like to get the a la carte menus as about 50% of the table didn't want starters and a lot of choices people picked out weren't on the set menu. Didn't budge on it.

On top of this, she implied that I was getting a great deal as it's BYOB and didn't see my point to any of this. I wanted to speak to the manager about this as they were 'pissed off', but I was told they were busy and she didn't have a great attitude. She didn't really seem apologitic at all.

Coming from working in restaurants for years as a manager/supervisor and handling every issue known to man, in my experience couldn't be handled worse. I couldn't sit down and enjoy myself afterwards and they didn't give the table much attention after the issue.

Everything I had issues with was said in more than a reasonable manner and tone and the waitress couldn't be more defensive/semi-aggresive. She just didn't listen or understand my point of view.

So here, 3 months on finally getting around to it, I think that the experience was bad enough to finally put it up this amount of time on.

The food was nice on the night for everyone (although there was a delay of 15 mins for some after the first mains arrived to the table), but they way I was trained in restaurants, it's down to the staff to make the customer's night and they accompished the opposite, hence the 1 star.

Had the supervisor/manager not tried to squeeze the extra €7 per person, there would have been 17 satisfied customers going back and also recommending friends and family and an extra generous tip. Their stubborness cost the business in hard times when they were wrong in the first place.

Won't be going back even for a table for 2!

5  Thank William D

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Was here recently and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Delicious food and a great price, main courses are about €17. Portions are huge and the food was gorgeous. There is no wine on sale here so you can just pick up your own bottle on the way and they don't charge any corkage which really reduces the price. I will definitely go back

1  Thank coco55555
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Was recommended by a friend to go here and really enjoyed the experience. Nice relaxed atmosphere, pleasant food (haven't had Lebanese before so can't compare), very friendly staff and of course the BYOB policy can't be beaten. Worth trying out and I would certainly return.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Much better Lebanese restaurants in Dublin. Very dry falafel. Disappointing, doesn't deserve the good reviews its getting but that mainly seems to be down to their BYOB policy.

2  Thank holdend
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Soft on the eyes, making everyone beautiful and allowing us to see the content of our plates, I must admit that the lights at Keshk are the best I ever experienced in the past 6 months.
Enough said? Not at all! It's a "Bring Your Own Wine" restaurant and believe it or not, NO CORKAGE CHARGE!!! Now, is the food worth bringing your Petrus 1961? Maybe not.
The food is somewhere between Lebanon, Armenia, Turkey, Greece and Dublin, a nice surprise in Dublin but the type of cuisine should be a little bit more advertised. Anyway, our party enjoyed the food in a happily noisy atmosphere. The staff is friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this restaurant for an evening with friends.