“Lovely evening in Dublin 6”
Review of 161 Cafe Bistro - CLOSED

161 Cafe Bistro
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 161 is a stylish Café-Bistro situated between Rathmines and Rathgar where our philosophy on food offers our customers not only good value but best quality, locally sourced food served in a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I went here after receiving a reccemondation from a colleague, and I have to say I wasn't disappointed.
The restaurant is small but homly with an open kitchen so you can see what's going on behind the scenes. There is quite a buzz about the place so I'd recommend booking a table, especially at weekends.
When we arrived the friendly waitress informed us we were in time for the Early Bird menu - €17.50 for 2 courses - which is great value for Dublin.
I started with the prawns in chili and garlic, and I was tempted to lick the plate it was so good (I didn't).
I followed that with the steak wich was a decent size and cooked the way I like it. The sides were delicious too.
Because I was full I couldn't manage desert, so I opted for a coffee which ended my meal perfectly.
This was one of the best dining experiences I've had in a long time and I will definitely be back for more.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you find yourself in Rathmines take the opportunity to drop into this terrific little Bistro on Upper Rathmines Road. Have a coffee, brunch, lunch or dinner - whatever! The place is really tiny but there is a friendly neighbourhood athmosphere and a lovely ambiance. The menu is great with good variety and something to please everyone. The food is really good and a bit different. The winelist is short but good and all wines are sold by the glass as well as by the bottle.
The service is efficient and friendly with Greg engaging with all his customers in a really good humoured way no matter how busy the place is. People are certainly voting with their feet in terms of finding places which are good for food and wine and also really good value. 161 is a case in point and opening hours have now been extended to cater for the demand. Booking is advisable.
There is a really nice table in the window and another really nice one in a little alcove in the back.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

The 161 is a neghbourhood restaurant, it's small so fills up very quickly but the service is good, They do really nice brunches and coffee,scones etc. At nights there's an evening menu, very popular at weekends so worth booking in advance. Its the only coffee shop on Upper Rathmines Road, and one of only two bistros in the immediate area. Prices are reasonable, and there's an early bird which is good value.Burgers are really good,as are the chips, my friend had fish which he loved. We recommended it recently to some Swiss people who were staying with friends, and they loved the fact that they were the only tourists and there was a good buzz on the night they went.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The food was amazing. So different to what you would find in any other restaurants. The food came in good big portions. I expected it to be quite expensive since the food was so unusual and rich but it suprisingly not. The presentation was lovely. It's petite and bright. The restaurant it's self is cosy and small but so small that you are squeezed in against the wall. The service was great and the staff were lovely. All in all it was lovely, a great pace to eat or sit down and geta coffee and a cake.
A-

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Small but excellent cafe. Great breakfasts and service is very good. Well worth a visit but very busy.

1  Thank NorthernerCoDown