“Home from home”

Ranked #80 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Richmond, Virginia
“Home from home”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

If you like quiet comfort, well-appointed rooms, elegant common spaces, and delicious home-cooked food, Pembroke Townhouse should become your home from home when you are next in Dublin. It is an easy walk to the cathedrals, art galleries, museums, shops, and restaurants that make the city so special. The staff are friendly and helpful, our room was airy and comfortable, and we enjoyed a quiet cup of tea in the lounge at the end of the day (especially the shortbread and melting moments!)The breakfasts were simply wonderful--fresh fruits and homemade compotes, home-cured bacon and sausage, free-range eggs, salmon, and some of the best just-baked bread we have ever eaten. Taking it with us wasn't an option, but getting the recipes was. The service and the presentation of the food were impeccable. Easily a five-star restaurant! The Pembroke Townhouse is quintessentially Dublin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PembrokeTH, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, February 15, 2015
Dear holyer6,
Thank you for writing. We are so glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us..and love the description "home from home"...and we are very glad to hear you felt the crew were helpful and friendly ...and we are blushing about our breakfast - happy to hear you enjoyed!
I hope we get to welcoming you again soon.
Fiona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I often need to travel to Dublin on business and have stayed in various places in the past, but I will make Pembroke Townhouse my regular 'home from home' after a lovely brief visit last month.
Rooms are spacious, staff are friendly and the cookies are great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vince C
Dear Vince C,
Thank you for writing. We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay..and love the description "home from home"... You are always welcome - I hope we get to seeing you again soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Difficult to know where to start really. While the information on the website was not inaccurate, I didnt get what I expected. The photograph on the website certainly didnt reflect what I got. On arrival, I was expecting a fresh contemporary luxurious room as per the website but this is not what I got. So what was the problem? I was in room 101, this was a room in the basement next to the car park (not a view of the roads of Dublin as advertised). Because of this, we needed to keep the blinds closed while we were room to maintain privacy so there was no natural light while we were in there. Also, being next to the car park, the room was very noisy, the fact that deliveries were made through a door next to our room didnt help. There was one free socket to charge phones etc and the tv was a 14inch low definition CRT high on the wall. This is not my idea of a luxurious room although I understand that this is subjective. The website says you can "choose from one of 41 luxurious rooms" but when I asked to change my room, I was not able to because the hotel was full (understandable).On the positive side, the room had a fantastic shower.
This hotel is in a nice part of Dublin and was perfectly located for the purpose of my trip (event at the Aviva Stadium). There are some nice restaurants around it and it does only take 15 minutes to walk in to the city. Had I got the room I was expecting, I'm sure my rating would have been higher.

Room Tip: avoid 101 and possibly floor 1
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PembrokeTH, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, February 8, 2015
Dear Spidy365, Thank you for writing and so sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay or felt our website not representative of what we are - we do try to portray what we think we are.. (I am not sure we use the word "luxurious", more "cosy" anywhere on websites we have a control over..maybe third parties - but would love to know where we could make a change on that if so..)
I hope you decide to come and stay on another occasion - maybe drop us a line and will try allocate a room that suits you better (you might be interested to hear we will have new upgraded tv's too). Best regards, Fiona and all the team
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The staff at Pembroke Townhouse were gracious and helpful to us. It's a charming place, and our rooms were unique.The breakfasts offered great options and were scrumptious! The Pembroke is located right around the corner from the city bus line, which was very convenient. If you're a walker, it's a pleasant walk to St. Stephen's Green and the city center. We also enjoyed walking around the Pembroke neighborhood, finding nice places to eat and shop. You won't go wrong if you choose to stay at the Pembroke Townhouse!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FionaTeehan, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
829Jean - thank you for writing and I hope we see you again soon!
All the best from Fiona and all the team
Ballymena, Co Antrim
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed two nights during Dublin Horse Show. Helpful staff, comfortable rooms, great breakfast. Best little touch is the lovely complimentary tea/coffee and SERIOUSLY DELICIOUS HOMEMADE cakes when we came back from a long day at the show. I can't think of a nicer place to stay. Well done!

Room Tip: Very close to the RDS and AVIVA Stadium. Perfect for Horse Show and Rugby Matches.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 4Kathryn
FionaTeehan, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Julie Teresa Olsen,
Thank you for writing.
You are very welcome. Glad you liked our cakes!!
I hope we get to welcoming you again some day.
Fiona and alll the team
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Where to begin... We stayed two nights here and could not wait to leave. As we first arrived and brought our luggage up the steps, the hotel MANAGER just looked on and did not even bother to hold the door for us though she was standing right next to it. The hotel staff were cold and not helpful. We felt as if we were bothering them and they appeared as if they did not want to be working there. One would expect a more hospitable welcome.
Then the room....quite drab and unfinished (web photos were very deceptive). We had two twin beds which were separated by at most 2 feet which then only left room for luggage along the wall. The room was sooo small that I felt as if I were in a college dormitory. Unable to walk around the room, we were stepping over the beds and luggage to get around.
DEFINITELY, not worth the money especially given the many choices in Dublin. They should convert it to a youth hostel.
Our trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland was beautiful and the people were wonderful except for this one experience.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Kirig06
FionaTeehan, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Kirig06,
Thank you for writing.
I am sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy your stay and mostly that you felt the staff were unhelpful. Also, I am so sorry if you feel I did not help you with your luggage. I usually offer help if I can at any time, unless the phone is ringing or the likes, so have to tend to it - I am so sorry if you felt that way.
The rooms shown on our website show some of our bedrooms which vary, but we havent made any changes since we took the photos. The sizes do vary and we have 2 small rooms... if you decide to come stay again, please drop me a line and I will do my best to personally lok after your preferences.
I hope we get the chance to welcomingyou again some day.
Fiona and all the team
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

At the beginning of July I had the pleasure of staying at the Pembroke Townhouse. There were so many nice touches that I cannot list them all, but they made me feel completely comfortable and relaxed. From the larder offering complimentary hot drinks and home made biscuits to an outstanding breakfast it was a memorable stay. I usually choose to have breakfast out of a hotel as they are generally mediocre, but this was tremendous. All the staff that I came across were friendly and represented Ireland in the way that you would expect.
I would consider going back to Dublin on the strength of this hotel alone - it was that good.
I can't praise it enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We are blushing!
Glad you enjoyed you stay and I hope we get to welcoming you again some day.