“Would not stay here again.”
Review of Pembroke Townhouse

Pembroke Townhouse
Ranked #74 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Would not stay here again.”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel could be so much nicer.The double room booked was two singles pushed together which made it quite uncomfortable.No bath...just a shower.Our ground floor room had a small window with no view as there was a bush growing over the whole window so it was very dark.Had to go downstairs to get your own tea and coffee.It would be nice to have tea making facilities in the rooms.We did not have the breakfast.The reception staff need to be more helpful and cheerful...a smile would be nice.The hotel was in a nice area though...about 10 euros for a cab into town or a 20 minute walk.Dublin is well worth a visit...just take plenty of euros with you.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank trewince31
FionaTeehan, Manager at Pembroke Townhouse, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear trewince31,
Thank you for writing and we are sorry to hear you would prefer not to return.
But if you do decide to come back, please remind us you perfer a bath as we have different rooms with Bath, on different levels, different views, etc and we will do our best to give you a room to you personal preference. We have afew roosm only with shower only.
We offer complimentary tea / coffee room service 24/7 by dialing "0" - maybe you were'nt aware of that.
I do hope we do get the opportunity to welcoming you again on another occasion.
Our warmest regards,
Fiona and all the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This nice looking hotel in a pretty Ballsbridge street is a great base for exploring the city without being in the hustle and bustle of the centre.
You can walk to St Stephens green in 15 minutes, an aircoach bus stops 1 minute away and the aviva stadium is 5 minutes away, all whilst being in the heart of BallsBridge - the Mayfair/Chiswick of Dublin.
The hotel itself has some nice touches - a lounge with free coffee, cake and papers, although the rooms aren't perfect;
-Double bed was two singles brought together
-No tea/coffee making facilities
-some worn carpet in the corner
-tiny TV's
-cold tap that took 3-5 minutes of blasting hot water before getting cold (room 107)
As long as you're not using this for a honeymoon you'd be pretty happy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear UK_BANDD,
Thank you for writing and I hope we get the oportinity to welcoming you on another occasion.
Our best regards,
Fiona and all the team
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Nice place, just a quick walk to the city (20m) with lots of nice coffee shops and restaurants along the way. The room was very clean and quiet with a great breakfast buffet! Did not get 5 points as shower was a bit unpredictable with changing temperatures... Good value for money and we would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 494AnnaK494
Dear 494AnnaK494,
Thank you for writing and so gla dyou enjoyed your stay.
Someone else told us about that a shower you mentioned and it is fixed now!!
I hope we get to meeting you again on another occasion.
Best regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I booked this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday. Pretty much chose it for the mezzanine room, which looked like a great novelty and something a little special/different.
I even e-mailed to tell them of the occasion and look at their celebration packages. They said they would upgrade us for free (great) but when we got there they'd let the rooms go (not great.)
We got "upgraded" to a "better" room, but this was grotty, dated, and the curtain rail hung off - and wasn't a mezzanine room so it was a bit pointless paying the money to go with them in the first place.
One receptionist was brilliantly helpful; the other was rude. The location is really good: a nice 10 minute stroll away from the centre and far enough out of the city so the noise levels aren't that high.
Just a bit disappointing that they messed up the rooms really.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 26MarkH26
Dear 26MarkH26,
Thank you for writing.
I am sorry if the comp upgrade meant you didnt enjoy your stay... I am afraid a complimentary upgrade is always subject to availabilty, which we always explain upon reservation. One would have to pay for the upgrade to guarantee they have it.
I hope we get the chance to welcoming you on another occasion.
My best regards,
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel - the building and décor are very pleasant, the rate was good value, and the area is nice (though it is away from the city centre - about 9 - 10 euros in a cab). However my stay was marred by a series of disappointments, and I would look for somewhere else to stay when returning to Dublin.

When I first went to my room, the key didn't work (it was an actual key, not an electronic card). I had to wheel my case back to the lift and down to reception (and incidentally, there were 3 steps in the corridor to negotiate too). The receptionist came back to the room with me and demonstrated how you need to pull the door hard towards you while unlocking it - "this works in any hotel room anywhere in the world" she pointed out (perhaps I should have known this?)

The room was freezing when I went in, and took about 1.5 hours to warm up after I switched the radiator on (by which time I was about ready to head out for the evening). It didn't help that two chairs and a table were directly in front of the radiator, which was small, and located under the window. The room itself (described on my booking as a 'Superior Double') was quite small so there was nowhere to move the furniture. The bed was small too - I'm about 5' 10" and my feet were pressed against the board at the foot of the bed. The bed was pushed up against one wall, so that if there had been two people sleeping there, one person would have been clambering over the other or the base board if they needed to get up in the night. Once again, the size of the room dictated this I suppose. I slept very poorly - the mattress was quite firm and the pillows were very hard. The window had a blind rather than a curtain, which allowed quite a bit of light in. The bathroom was cold throughout my stay and had very little room for toiletries.

The room did not have tea or coffee making facilities. These were available, along with free homemade cookies, in the drawing room next to reception, but sometimes I want a hot drink right before I go to bed, so I'd prefer to have a kettle in my room (I also had a hot water bottle with me and no way to fill it). Other drinks and snacks were for sale in the drawing room (2 euros for a small bottle of water) - the cupboards and fridge were both padlocked, and the member of staff who served me was fairly abrupt.

At one point I pulled a plug out of the socket on the wall in my room, and the whole front of the socket almost came away in my hand. There were two candlesticks on the dresser without candles, so the 'spikes' were exposed. I felt they could have put a guard of some kind on them (corks work just fine). There was a safe in the room.

There was a charge for WiFi - their website describes it as a small charge, but I felt 15 euros for 24 hours was quite expensive, and it worked out much cheaper for me to use the roaming facility on my smartphone.

Continental breakfast was 10 euros - the food was good (much of it homemade) but I don't feel it was great value. The menu said toast was included in that price but the server did not offer any to me. I believe they had the full breakfast on offer (12 euros instead of 15).

Parking is free (the car park entrance is in the lane behind the hotel). I don't know if there are enough spaces for all the rooms, but if not I imagine it would be very difficult to park. The lane behind the hotel is quite narrow and has many garages, so is full of 'don't park here' notices. You have to be buzzed in to the car park - on arrival the gates opened before I even pressed the buzzer, however I had to wait a few minutes when I left.

I know that many of these complaints are small, and had there just been one or two, I'd probably have been happy to return to the hotel. Unfortunately it just felt like one irritation after another.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank sometimesong
Dear sometimesong,
Thank you for writing.
We are so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I hope you will give us the opportunity to personally looking after you on another occasion.
We are always happy to fill a hot water bottle for anyone at any time - maybe mention it to uis next time you are here.
Warmest regards,
Fiona and all the team
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As I was reading many of the two star reviews, I noticed that many of the people who gave this hotel a poor review came from the United States--so I suppose it's possible that some cultural differences may be affecting our perception of the place. That said, of the three places we stayed in Ireland, we enjoyed Pembroke Townhouse the least.

Pros:
* Room was very clean
* Room was quiet
* Hotel was close to downtown Dublin without being so close that it was unsafe or loud.
* Room had a nice little view of Dublin houses.
* On our last day, the man at the desk helped me carry my VERY heavy suitcase out to our taxi in the cold rain. I thought it was very chivalrous and sweet of him.

Cons:
* Room was very small.
* I've seen this in other European hotels before. . . As mentioned by others, our "double" bed truly was a double--two beds pushed together, rather than one queen or king sized bed that a couple could enjoy. I wonder if there is another name for this there?
* The bed was extremely uncomfortable. Some might say it was firm, but I would say it was just plain cheap and unpadded. We slept on top of the comforter to create at least a little bit of extra padding. We requested an extra comforter to cover up with, but all we were given was a sheet.
* The staff was either worried about breaking rules to help us or didn't feel like helping us to the full extent. On our anniversary my husband and I bought a bottle of wine to drink at the hotel. We asked for an ice bucket to put the wine in. You would have thought we had requested a free bottle of wine--not a bucket to put it in. The man helping us looked asthough he felt like he was helping us steel the ice bucket rather than borrow it.
* I came downstairs to get help from the main at the front desk at about 2am because we had to leave to go to the airport. The receptionist was asleep on the couch in the lobby! Because of this, he seemed very foggy when he woke up and seemed to have a hard time helping us.
* My shower was very unpredictable. I went from having warm water, to freezing water, to no water at all, to a little bit of warm water, then a lot of warm water, back to cold water. . . you get the idea. This was all within about 5-10 minutes.

Overall, this place just did not feel comfortable to us. If my shower had been warm and predictable and my bed had been easier to sleep on, we would come back. As it was, however, we will find a different place to stay the next time we are in Dublin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Beth W
Dear Beth W,
Thank you for writing and we are so sorry to hear we won't get to seeing you again.
Maybe you are right with about the cultural difference and it is food for thought! We do find that guests from the US have different expectations of the guesthouse concept as we have here - this might be part of it.
Maybe I will address some of the comments briefly -
Our matresses are orthopaedic (and very expensive!), so they are considered very highly here and are very good for ones back of course! These are what we are more used to here, though we are finding that guests from the US seem more accostumed to sleeping on softer matresses and "comforters" (something we don't use in Ireland)....again a cultural difference.
They are also called "zip and link" beds, so they can be used as a king or twin bed, depending on what is required - these quite common in European hotels.
Ah I am sorry about that with the wine bucket - we have no bar (just a lobby wine license), so no need for wine buckets, it is sometinng we don't really get asked for. Due to us having increased amounts of visitors from the US, we have purchased an ice machine lately and bought some ice buckets (not wine ones) to go with it since, so we have more to offer now!
Ah the night porter was being very bold .. I have had a chat to him since about that! Thanks for advising me of it.
Maybe you will give us a chance to stay agai - we wodul love to welcome you. Some things we can maybe change, but not everything is in our control )- :.
Warmest regards,
Madison94
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I liked pembroke townhouse. The secure car park is a huge plus. On arrival we got two glasses of bubbly and chocolates. The room was a bit small so putting out luggage was a bit tight. They offered tons of cookies and cake that I helped myself too so that was another bonus. The bathroom was large, super clean and included complimentary toiletries. The girl working the front desk (Fiona?) was very friendly. I did wake up twice during the night due to hearing the cars going by on the road so I'd recommend asking for a room in the back. The breakfast was very nice tons of banana break, yogurt loaf, and scones. I ordered the smoked salmon potato pancake and it was delicious. Although 15 euros for the breakfast is definitely too high. I'd recommend and come back to Pembroke.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madison94
Hi Madison94,
Thanks for writing.
We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay.
I hope we get the chance to welcoming you again on another occasion.
Ah and guesss what - we have special offer brekkie running now @ €12.50 !!
Best regards,