“Horrible”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Horrible restaurant. The worst Japanese food I have ever had.
Overpriced as hell... and no words to describe the restaurant itself.
I will never come back to this restaurant even if they pay me to do it.

1  Thank Xema M
There are newer reviews for Mitsuba Japanese Restaurant

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Four of us dined at Mitsuba a couple of days ago and it was one of my worst experiences. We ordered the teppanyaki dishes which are practically most expensive on the menu and are listed as three course meals. The only nice thing about them was the miso soup but it is difficult to imagine it could be bad.
The dishes were prepared on a pan somewhere in the back of the kitchen. Teppanyaki grill in front of us remained untouched. We were served nasty rice with no taste both over and undercooked at the same time. How does an Asian restaurant achieve this is a mystery to me. Starter was a bowl of wilted iceberg salad leaves with TWO tiny prawns hidden there.
We were asked if we enjoyed our meal and when we said we did not, we heard OK....
There was nothing authentic about Mitsuba and overall experience was highly dissapointing!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went to this restaurant with a Groupon voucher. Everyone else who came into the restaurant after us also appeared to have Groupon vouchers. In my opinion this is the only way they have been able to make any money...by getting people to pay in advance! My first instinct on arrival at the restaurant was to turn around and walk back out again! The first thing to greet us was a
horrible smell..a bit like dirty drains or toilets! Hardly a good first impression. If we didn't have the voucher, we would have left immediately. Decided to give it a chance as there were other people eating there, and the waitress was very friendly and welcoming.
First we were given a glass of tap water each..it was not even very cold, and no ice cubes were given. I ordered a glass of wine, which was not included in the voucher deal and cost me €5.50. We were given an 'appetiser' which consisted of 3 tiny cold prawns, some shredded lettuce and a very watery dressing. We were then given some miso soup, which was clearly from a packet, but was the best part of the meal! We both ordered the steak with prawns teppinyaki. Firstly, it was NOT teppinyaki. Secondly, the 'steak' was chopped into strips (obviously to make it look bigger), and we only had about half a steak each. There were 5 prawns on the plate, which were overcooked and rubbery. The boiled rice was ok, but the vegetables (cabbage and courgette) were soggy. The carrots were sliced into thick circles and were raw! The whole thing seemed to have been stir-fried in oyster sauce from a jar. We were not even offered the tea or coffee which was supposed to be part of the deal, but we just wanted to leave this place asap so were not bothered about this. Overall, a very disappointing experience. Wish I had trusted my instinct and left before ordering any food. Don't think this restaurant will be open for very much longer.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had heard great reports about this restaurant and while I was looking for somewhere to go on Parnell St I came across it. My first impression when I walked into the place was that it smellt of damp. I was ordering to take away. I was told that they only take cash so I had to head off to O'Connell Street to take out money. I ordered endame beans and a katsu curry and a coke. I asked if I could sit and I sat at the window. I was quickly moved down towards the back of the restaurant even though there were only a few people there. Beans arrived and were fine - can't really go wrong with them. The curry was awful. I ordered chicken and it came in a murky brown sauce and I am sure there was beef or some other kind of red meat in it. There was no atmosphere in the place and then my bill came to €23.50!!! I could not believe it. I think the curry was about €16... RIP off is all I can say and I will definitely never go back.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I got a Groupon voucher for 2 people for Mitsuba. The restaurant is tiny, not very pleasant atmosphere, I had booked the day before but were still placed on a long table with other pleople:(
the food was ok but would have never paid full priced- even with a voucher I found it was not good value...desserts are 6.95 euros where thay are 4.95 euros everywhere else. We asked for the dessert carte and 20 minutes later we were still waiting to order (a 3 years old child was with us!).We ended up asking straight for coffee which were included in the voucher but never checked if we wanted desserts...I would say they are not use to be full.
In my opinion staff is not organised at all. Staff is nice but this is not enough to plan to go again...