“Delicious Sunday brunch”
Review of Whitefriar Grill

Whitefriar Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Whitefriar Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 2,639 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French, Irish, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Went for Sunday brunch with friends. The restaurant was very busy so you would need to book. After we were seated the waitress offered us a better table at the back, which had just become availbale. Staff were very friendly and the DJ was a fun touch. Food was delicious with a few nice twists on the standard brunch menu, and some very tasty cocktails, all reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Whitefriar Grill

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Visited for brunch on recommendation from a family member. This place doesn't disappoint! Lovely cosy bustling restaurant. Great atmosphere. Extremely busy which is always a good sign. Brunch was superb. Delicious generous portions of food. Hubby had the chicken parmigiana and I the Huevos Rancheros. Washed down with 2 good strong coffees. The staff here are very helpful and friendly too. Would highly recommend! Cannot wait to return and try their other menus, dinner etc

1  Thank Jenster30
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Myself and my wife went out of our way to lunch in the Whitefriar Grill this afternoon. The experience began inauspiciously, with 30 minutes spent shivering barely inside the door as we waited for a table. We were eventually seated close to the door, and I noticed that the couple adjacent whom were finishing their meal were both wearing their jackets. Odder still, the gentleman had his hood fully up (something I have never seen before in a restaurant, in my life).

I very quickly realised why: the temperature at the tables was no better than when we'd been standing just inside the door. Absolutely freezing. Seeing us put back on our jackets, the adjacent couple, standing to leave, recommended that we ask for a different table.

But we stayed put and waited to order. And waited. And waited. And by the time 20 odd minutes had passed, my wife had to leave her seat and approach a waitress to ask if we could please order. We honestly wouldn't have minded so much, had the maitre d' not handed us menus at the very beginning of our 30 minute wait for a table. Thus, we'd quite obviously known our orders for a considerable time before even being seated, yet there was simply nobody to relay our choices to.

By the time we finally ordered, we were petrified with cold. My wife eventually caved, approached a waitress, and asked could we move to a table farther from the door. The waitress (who was extremely friendly) kindly showed us to a table in the heart of the restaurant. It was marginally better, but still very cold.

The food was very nice, when it came. A couple of the waitresses were extremely friendly. But overall the service was shockingly bad (I say 'shocking' not for effect, but because our expectations were genuinely high). Myself and my wife are quiet, and don't like to cause a fuss. For my wife to twice leave her seat in pursuit of nothing more than some warmth, and to order our food? I'd never seen her do either before, and I hope to never again eat in an establishment that leaves her feeling compelled to do so.

All in all, very disappointing.

5  Thank Dubzer
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We ate here on Saturday night during a rugby international weekend and could not have chosen better. The restaurant has a lovely laid back yet attentive ambience and the red and rustic decor cocoons you in from the nearby madness of Temple Bar. Hoeel staff and taxi drivers were impressed with our choice of restaurant when we asked for directions which had to be a good sign and we were certainly not disappointed!

The restaurant has an upmarket grill menu with plenty of options if you feel the need to avoid red meat (though why would you when it's great!). After munching on bread and olives whilst sipping a cocktail, we had steak and prawns and the rump steak which came with a whole rack of ribs - absolutely delicious. Food is not necessarily quick arriving to the table but this is because everything is obviously prepared freshly and with real attention to detail. This is a place to come and enjoy a relaxed dinner rather than feed your face quickly and move on. There is no spirits license but the restaurant has done extremely well to create a range of prosecco-based cocktails and beers to cater for all tastes. After-dinner liqueurs are available for coffees so you won't miss out if you like your meal with a different alcoholic beverage for every course!

If you're visiting during the week there are are some great offers such as the Monday night corkage offer where you can bring your own bottle for a five euro corkage fee. I would definitely return and bring the hubby for some real 'man-food' in a lovely intimate setting.

Well done, Whitefriar Grill!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We had Sunday brunch here- it was completely full so you'd be advised to book in advance which we did- great brunch menu, lots of options from eggs to grill- the kids had ribs which they demolished, this came with perfectly poached eggs and fries, I had the lobster hash which was delicious and my other half had the Norwegian eggs and rosti, again delicious- deserts of knickerbocker glory and fudge brownie finished things off perfectly! Service was impeccable and the atmosphere is great! Great music and lots of buzz - Looking forward to returning soon!!!