“Left a bit disappointed, wasn't as good as expected.”
Review of Whitefriar Grill

Whitefriar Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Whitefriar Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 2,702 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: French, Irish, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I visited Whitefriar Grill on Christmas Eve last for an early dinner and all in all had mixed feelings about this place. We ended up having a 3 course dinner as the food was actually quite tasty and nicely presented too. I liked their Vegetarian mains options; they didn’t look great on the menu, but when served my pumpkin pasta was really nicely balanced and way more tasty and just different than what I was expecting (in a very good way!). My first disappointment was the weird policy that they have in there - apparently they won’t serve you food or even let you in if you arrive “in between” meals. E.g. we arrived for early dinner at approx. 4.40 PM (no reservation), the place was moreless empty (there were small groups at 2 or 3 tables) but we were told we have to come back later, after 5, as they were “changing the menus in few mins”. When I suggested we can wait and maybe have a drink or two before dinner, they said we have to come back later and showed us the door. When we came back 20 mins later, the same 2-3 tables and same groups were still there, nothing else changed. Why keep us out on cold in this case... Another disappointment was the size of the place, it’s actually really tiny and the tables are all very close together. Would work great for a group, but wasn’t great for us and the other couples sitting next to us. All in all I had a good time but couldn’t help thinking the place is a bit overhyped. Because of this and fact that I was never ever before asked to leave and come back in few mins when the place was empty, I certainly won’t be coming back.

3  Thank Justine28
Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very cool brunch venue with excellent food and cocktails and a trendy New York vibe. Exposed brick and cool wall art add to the experience. Service was very good and the menu's reasonably priced. Book first though.

DCM1982, Public Relations Manager at Whitefriar Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

From Geoff Nordell; Chef & Owner of Whitefriar Grill: Thanks for the great review, look out for our weekday lunch opening in late spring.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

A la carte for 2 on Friday. Starters of marrow and gambas v nice. Swordfish not so good and was over cooked. Steak was cooked well. Desserts were again nice but not excrptional. Wine was priced well and pleased with selection. Other places to try so I doubt I would be back. Staff were v welcoming.

1  Thank seanpg

From Geoff Nordell; Chef & Owner of Whitefriar Grill: Thanks for the feedback.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We've been to the Whitefriar Grill several times since it opened, most recently for New Years eve. It's consistently superb and has gotten so popular that booking, especially at the weekends, is now becoming advisable. The relaxed decor and the reasonable prices belie the fact that this place is serving the sort of top quality inventive cooking that you'd expect in a much more formal/fancy fine-dining establishment. There's clearly a group of chefs in that kitchen who know how to cook and who love what they do. The menu includes several exciting dishes such as bone-marrow with oxtail marmalade and roasted rabbit (which is inexplicably very hard to find in Dublin). The daily specials are invariably interesting and the staff always super friendly. It'll be a serious challenge for them to maintain this standard but here's hoping that they do!

From Geoff Nordell; Chef & Owner of Whitefriar Grill: Thanks for the great five star review! Look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went here for a Christmas lunch. The food and wine were very good. I have to say that the service in particular was exemplary, very attentive and extremely friendly. I will happily go back in the near future.