“Really dirty - avoid”

and 1 more site!
Apache Hostel
Ranked #92 of 130 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The room was so dirty that we could not wait to leave again. There were hairs on the floor everywhere and stains on the wall and a tea stain on the bedside cabinet, proving that they had not cleaned the room between guests. It was absolutely terrible.

The bathrooms were really dirty as well - with so many people using them, they need to get cleaned regularly but the only time they were cleaned was once in the morning and by noon they floor was really dirty, full of muddy shoe prints and hair.

They obviously don't know anything about hygiene. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

And it gets really loud in the evenings because the windows onoly have single glazing and people in the streets are shouting until 4am. Luckily I had earplugs but my brother didn't - I felt so sorry for him.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank S M

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location is great...everything else is bad. On arrival, we waited for 15 minutes for someone to take us to our room (we showed our reservation to one of the staffs and he asked us to wait. Afterwards, we found out that he went to make his pizza. And the other guy who in charge of the accommodation showed up after 15 minutes). A smell of mold in the room. Also we didn't sleep well at night as we could easily hear people closing their doors or walking/talking in the corridor. I should blame the soundproof instead of the quality of residents (we did ask them to lower their voice). To be honest, I definitely will pay more to avoid this kind of accommodation net time when I visit Dublin.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

But if you don't mind a staff that barely speaks more than 1 word English (rare in Dublin!) and a rock for a bed.. (probably a rock would sleep more comfy) then this hostel will do..

Have to say, the location is very good ( noisy at night, but good) the hostel is beyond bad! Saw a few, but this one is ridicilous! For example; be aware of internal bleeding due to the springs in the matrass.. hard to sleep when they're poking you everywere! Place is very noisy, but that's not necessarly a problem.

A problem could be the staff.. The guy we met mumbled a few words (only thing that he said quite clear was the amount of money we had to pay) he basicly lived in a sort of closset in the hallway, so when we wanted to check out (around 10.00 am) we woke him up.

Can't blame the guy, but the whole atmosphere was kinda depressing..can't recommend it if you're in for a fun stay in Dublin to be honest!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Bombarie
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Cheap for Irlande ; well located right in the center Temple bar area... can be clean depending on who are there .... People from the hotel clean everyday but some customers are really discusting.
rooms are tiny beds are awfully uncofortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in in my life! Rented a double room for one night which was dingy and just appalling. We could hear everyone next door and we mostly just wanted to get out of there. There was an actually a dump on the bathroom floor that we had to share with other rooms and the staff actually sleep in the luggage room! Avoid!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank generator5000
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Apache Hostel is not only the worst hostel I've encountered anywhere in Europe, the staff are the least helpful/most disorganised/biggest downright liars and the place itself is the filthiest.

I'm going to dot point some of the more flagrant false advertising/lies/problems, because once I've finished this review/character assassination, I need to repress the memory of my two nights there, and apparently lists are the easiest things to forget.

So, here goes ...

1. Upon arrival, the receptionist wasn't aware of the booking. Then demanded an additional 10 EURO (not advertised and never encountered in any other hostel) as a "deposit". For what?
2. Offered 50% off food at their adjoining "restaurant". The adjoining "restaurant" did not support this offer.
3. Offered self-catering kitchen. The kitchen didn't exist.
4. Offered tea and coffee making facilities. The facilities did not exist.
5. Offered inclusive breakfast. The breakfast didn't exist.
6. Upon returning to the room after some time in Dublin, was unable to enter my room, because three of the staff members (and/or their friends) were giving themselves haircuts OUTSIDE my room, laughing drunkenly and ignoring the fact that in most civilized, English-speaking countries, this kind of behaviour would be considered impossible. I had to remind myself that I was in fact in Dublin.
7. Going out the next day, I was stopped by one of the staff members, who told me due to an error in booking, I had to change rooms. I implied that his life was in danger if he told me one more lie or broke one more health/safety regulation. He saw the wisdom in withdrawing his demand and I escaped a charge of Justifiable Homicide.
8. Trying to check out Sunday morning, the reception (as usual) was unattended. A nasty woman (who seemed to be more or less wandering around the premises vacantly for the duration of my stay) was loitering in a foul mood in the foyer, and through a series of grunts and finger-poking, indicated that whoever was meant to be attending was in a room next to the counter. True enough, when I knocked on the door, a young gentleman in underwear blearily stumbled out of a filthy, stinking bedroom (NEXT to reception??) and grumpily accepted the keys.

So. Worst hostel EVER ... they really need to be shut down. Avoid.

Room Tip: Rooms in any other Dublin hostel are better. Choose another hostel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2012

After having done a lot of traveling and having stayed in a lot of different hostels, I've got to admit that the Apache Hostel in Dublin is definitely the worst place I've ever stayed in. I was not expecting much as it's very cheap and it offers a perfect location right in the city centre. It's a nice hostel for those looking for a good location, though but bear in mind that you will not get any sleep all night.
First of all, its official website doesn't show what the hostel is really like. The pictures on it are misleading and its facilities leave much to be desired. The rooms and the bathrooms were dirty. The rooms are too small for such a large group of people. The beds were SO uncomfortable that it was impossible for me to fall asleep after a long day in the city. Actually, everyone in the hostel complained about that. The staff seemed to speak very little English and very little professional.

I don't recommend it at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo