“Love the crack”

Dubai
“Love the crack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

To whom it may concern,

We stayed last year on a trip to Dublin in this hotel and have to say this is a real great location and a real good functional hotel with nice smiley team members.
Great comfort and excellent facilities.
Keep it up and hope to stay one day again.

Stayed July 2007
alexandergm, General Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2008
Dear Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
Bakersfield, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2008

We needed to stay in Dublin for one night at the end of our trip, and wanted it to be withing walking distance of everything. We found a good rate on Expedia, but decided to call and book directly. They offered the same rate, and a discounted rate at the carpark down the street. We were happy with the hotel from the moment we arrived. They checked us in early; our room was spotless and very comfortable. We had no complaints, and would definitely go back there again.

• Liked — New, clean and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Ken L, Manager at O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Alexander Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Your kind comments are much appreciated and I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Dublin

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun) in the Alexander hotel in April and couldn't fault the hotel. The location is great, set on a quiet side road, around the corner from the airlink bus stop (so easy to find from the airport), a short walk to some great bars and the shopping area and only 10 min's walk to the hustle and bustle of Temple Bar.

We arrived way earlier than the check in time but there was a room ready for us so we could check in straight away.

The hotel staff were knowledgeable of the local area and always willing to assist.

The room was nice, not the most luxurious room I’ve had but more than adequate. Flat screen TV, Tea & Coffee facilities and an iron & board in each room was useful.

Breakfast was lovely, a good choice of hot & cold delights to help get over the Guinness hangover!!

Only point I have to note is the bar prices. It's more expensive than most of the bars we went in, and Dublin is an expensive city to drink in at the best of times.

All in all a good time was had by all. I'd definitely stay here again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bar prices
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

My husband and I were finishing up our two weeks in Ireland with a couple of days in Dublin when, on Thursday evening, I began passing a kidney stone. The Alexander Hotel management and staff were wonderful. Not only did they arrange for a doctor to come to the hotel to see me, but they also let us stay an extra night in the hotel at our pre-arranged rate after I was advised not to travel.

Further, my husband told me that each time he went to make an inquiry or get breakfast, the front desk staff asked about me.

All of this is in addition to the large room, comfortable bed, and convenient location.

When we return to Dublin (which we'll do as I didn't get to see the city!), we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Cheltenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

We went for a weekend break to Dublin, staying at the Alexander Hotel. I cannot fault the cleanliness and comfort of the rooms, politeness of the staff and volume and quality of the Breakfasts. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of most of the attractions, but if you don't like walking - use the sightseeing bus. We had a very enjoyable weekend, especially as it was St Patricks Day during our visit until we came to pay the bill....
Unfortunately, as with most of us, the Credit Card is already authorised and we know the cost so a cursory glance at the bill is all that is required.
Please, Please, Please DON'T do this here.
I was expecting my account to be settled in Euro's, when I returned home I checked my account only to find they had billed me in Euro's but charged my account in GB Pounds and an exorbitant exchange rate + 3% handling fee. I have made contact with the hotel by email expressing my displeasure, and to me it is a simple transaction to credit an account in GBP and redebit in Euro's.
Not at this Hotel. All I am told is that they cannot change the transaction.
I am left with an exorbitant overcharge and what should have been a good time has been soured by what I would class as very poor customer relations by their Front of House Manager.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CheltenhamSKI_couple

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

This hotel left me with mixed feelings. On one hand it had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in but on the other hand the front desk wasn't able and wouldn't try to tell me where I could purchase postage stamps. Also, I received messages that were never delivered to me. This cost me a meeting with a fellow traveler . The location of this hotel was within walking distance to everything so I would probably stay here again but I would not expect much from the staff at the front desk.

• Liked — Th location and the super comfy bed
  • Disliked — the lack of service from the front desk
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank sksaledtan

Westbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

Excellent hotel, location great for city centre. Rooms quiet, clean and comfortable. Lovely large bed with quilt, so no fighting with top sheets and blankets. Small flat screen tv in room with good choice of channels. Breakfast excellent, plenty of choice from your continental to the full Irish or why not try everything! (Had been put off by a few comments from earlier reviewers re the breakfast but we decided to give it ago and we weren't disappointed). Found the staff friendly and courtious, even @ 3am when coming in from a night out with friends! We didn't use the restaurant or bar but did notice in the reception area lots of comfortable looking sofa's where I am sure you could enjoy a quiet drink or two and watch the world go by.
If you are looking for anywhere to eat for a quick snack, can totally recommend Eddie Rockets in South Anne Street, off Grafton Street (opposite the Phil Lynott statue). An american diner type restaurant. We only had a burger but boy was it good. The best we have ever tasted. Went back for breakfast as up too late for the hotel restaurant.
Would certainly consider this hotel for our next trip to Dublin. There are 2 sister hotels yards from this hotel, which look just as good but they are just off a busy junction, so probably wouldn't consider them incase of traffic noise.
Booked direct through hotel website, got a good price.

• Liked — Location, good price and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple