“Tourist in my own City”

Rebel Tour of Dublin
Ranked #77 of 224 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Rebel Tour of Dublin - The City that Fought an Empire. Follow in the footsteps of the Irish Rebel leaders Michael Collins, James Connolly and Pádraig Pearse. Hear the story of Ireland's fight for freedom as told by Irish Republicans. On the Rebel Walking Tour you will hear the story of the 1916 Easter Rising and how the forces of the Irish Citizen Army and the Irish Volunteers came together as the Irish Republican Army (I.R.A) and took on the might of the British Empire. Learn how the Easter Rising came about and what happened before and after it. Visit the places where Ireland’s history unfolded and in the words of W.B. Yeats “a terrible beauty was born”. Small Group Walking Tours with Dublin’s best guides. TOUR TIMES: Mon - Fri at 11.30am (The tour is also available on Saturday via booking only - please book over the phone). Departing from the Sinn Féin Bookshop.Duration: 1hour 45mins (approx) at an easy going pace. There is no need to book (Mon - Fri), just show up and we will be there. Feel free to call us for more information. (PLEASE NOTE: Tours may not run on certain public holidays and bank holidays)
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tourist in my own City”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went on this Walking Tour on a visit home from London with my boyfriend on his first visit to Dublin. Our guide, Padraig, was very knowledgeable and a great storyteller. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned an awful lot. I would highly recommend the tour to all Dubliners as well as visitors.

2 Thank BaldwinElmes

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fascinating walking tour”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you only have time to do one thing in Dublin take this walking tour. Passionately recounted, incredibly detailed and very moving: learn about Ireland's tragic history of resistance to British rule and retrace the events of 1916 Easter Rising through the streets around the General Post Office.

3 Thank phemefilms
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hidden history”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My sister and I joined this tour with one other participant. We had been staying two blocks from Parnell Square and had no clue about the rich history of this area. Recommend this to anyone looking for the "story behind the story" -- there always is one!

2 Thank YvonneRose
coventry
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“An amazing, compelling crash course in Irish history”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were in Dublin for a day as part of a cruise round the British Isles. Many of our fellow cruisers went on organised tours with the cruise company at a cost of 100 euros plus (to be driven round in a big coach with 50 other people). We decided to do this alternative tour which we found via TripAdvisor; we paid 10 euros each to be given an incredible glimpse into Irish history. It was an outstanding experience. This wasn't a professional "blue badge" guide who spurted our lots of interesting facts. This was Padraic, the Irish history teacher, cigarette in hand, who was hugely knowledgeable, passionate and opinionated. These historical figures were his people and it really mattered.

I went on lots of tours during the cruise but I remember what Padraic told us more than any other guide. That was because he was a wonderful storyteller and the stories came from the heart. We were told that the tour would last around one hour 45 minutes but we were still going strong after two and a half hours and we had to leave before the end to catch our ship.

I recommend this tour thoroughly. It isn't always comfortable and there is certainly another side to some of the stories but this is one amazing, compelling crash course in Irish history

1 Thank helencoventry
Saginaw, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great way to understand Ireland”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This tour was a highlight of our trip to Ireland, especially since my wife is related to two of the men who were executed for their role in the uprising. Our Tour guide Lorcan Collins provided an insightful description of the events of the uprising. He is a co-editor or the book series 16 lives about the 16 men who were executed. Even better than the factual information was the personal color commentary he shared.

Visited July 2013