“Very Informative”

Rebel Tour of Dublin
Ranked #77 of 232 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Rebel Tour of Dublin - The City that Fought an Empire. Follow in the footsteps of the Irish Rebel leaders Michael Collins, James Connolly and Pádraig Pearse. Hear the story of Ireland's fight for freedom as told by Irish Republicans. On the Rebel Walking Tour you will hear the story of the 1916 Easter Rising and how the forces of the Irish Citizen Army and the Irish Volunteers came together as the Irish Republican Army (I.R.A) and took on the might of the British Empire. Learn how the Easter Rising came about and what happened before and after it. Visit the places where Ireland’s history unfolded and in the words of W.B. Yeats “a terrible beauty was born”. Small Group Walking Tours with Dublin’s best guides. TOUR TIMES: Mon - Fri at 11.30am (The tour is also available on Saturday via booking only - please book over the phone). Departing from the Sinn Féin Bookshop.Duration: 1hour 45mins (approx) at an easy going pace. There is no need to book (Mon - Fri), just show up and we will be there. Feel free to call us for more information. (PLEASE NOTE: Tours may not run on certain public holidays and bank holidays)
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very Informative”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

if you find yourself in Dublin, dont miss out on this great tour, it takes you through the events of 1916. its very informative and i learned lots. Padraig is great and very patient and will answer all your questions. It s a nice walking pace and finishes back at the Sinn Fein shop.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank fenian32

Austin,TX
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Sinn Fein view of Modern Irish History”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Got to the Sinn Fein book store only a couple of minutes before the tour was supposed to begin. Was informed that no one else had booked and that they needed two people to do the tour. Since the other Rebellion tour wasn't running in November, I offered to pay double, they said that wouldn't be necessary if I would pay 15 euros, which was more than fair for the 100+ minute tour.

Pauraic is a passionate patriot for his cause and incredibly knowledgeable. I asked him several questions and he offered fact and opinion readily. The tour itself was incredibly low key, essentially making the block around Parnell Square. He points out all of the relevant buildings around the square where people helped lead to the revolution.

It was a fantastic lecture on the rise of the IRB and IRA, how the GAA became the recruiting ground for the army. He tried really hard to draw out he story behind the story. I wish I had a more solid foundation on Irish history to draw from so I could get some of the subtleties. This is one of those rare tours where a Dubliner may get more from the tour than a visitor.

I'd like to have heard more about the Easter uprising, and take advantage of the fact that we were only a block from the GPO to bring that to life. However, if you want to have an understanding of the birth of the IRB & IRA, I can't imagine a better guide.

Visited November 2011
5 Thank hnewburn
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Brilliant tour and excellent value for money, the tour only cost 10euros and is a steal in comparison to alot of the tours in Dublin. The was just two of us on the tour, which was brilliant as we were able to ask questions and converse with Pauraic, who was a fantastic guide, and was able to answer all questions and provide endless information on everything he spoke about. We enjoyed the tour so much that we stayed in the bookshop (which is also a cafe and sells books and artwork) for a further half hour, where Pauraic/Pádraig (from the Sinn Féin offices) chatted with us and provided us with lots more information. Definitly worth a go, especially as most of the history is right in front of your eyes but hidden above shops etc! :)

Visited August 2011
6 Thank 190hols
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Brought the history alive”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Was recommended the tour by a friend. Went in early and had a coffee and alook at the books in the shop. Very friendly staff and the coffee is very good.

The tour was very informative and really got me thinking about the streets I walk down every day where amazing things happened like 1916 just 90 odd years ago. Guide was a fountain of knowledge and easily answered every question I had, and I had lots as the tour was very thought provoking, I was left just wanting to know more. I'd definitely recommend this and I'm glad that there are great tours like this in Dublin having been on many in othger cities I've visited.

Visited July 2011
7 Thank OisinGD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing what I didn't know about the city I love”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

With not much to do last Thursday I went into Dublin city to pass a few hours. While strolling down Parnell St, I noticed a sign at the Sinn Féin shop in Parnell Square for a Rebel walking tour of the city. It was just gone 11am so I was in plenty of time for the 11.30 kick off, I paid my €10 in the shop and had a cup of coffee in their cafe before we headed off. I won't go through the whole lot because what I learned would take about 2 day's to write. I will just say that if you want to really know about Dublin history, this is the most interesting 2 hours you will ever have. I will definitely do it again soon.

Visited July 2011