“U want to relax? Go somewhere?” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The George

The George
Ranked #39 of 286 Nightlife in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The George is not just any bar or any gay bar. It is the first port of call for young gay people in Ireland, it is the venue where gay and straight people mix together and where international visitors stop to check out the gay scene in Ireland. The George has been the lynchpin that holds Dublin's gay scene together. Having been around for 30 years it has been a home to the development of the social evolution of gay Ireland. "A mix of styles with a sprinkling of fairy dust thrown in", The George features two bar areas; the front bar affectionately known as ‘Bridies' after one of the bar's longest serving staff members; with its low lighting and leather clad barstools is the perfect spot for a quiet drink and a chat. The main club venue has been graced by the presence of some of the hottest international acts including Alexandra Burke, Daniel Johnson, The Saturdays and Bananarama. It is also where you can see some of the best weekly performances in the city Space'N'Veda, Davina's House-Party and featuring International Cabaret Artiste Extraordinaire TM and former child-star Shirley Temple Bar at Sunday night Bingo!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“U want to relax? Go somewhere?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

U want more stress? Then go!
I went to The George,wearing givenchy,the doorman,extremely arrogant and rude said: Do u know it,s a gay bar? I said yes,then he started to investigate my case,asking a lot of questions,i just left and i went instead at Pantibar where i spent a very good night.
The owner of The George should keep in mind that when people go to a bar or a disco,they just want to relax and have a drink,they dont intend to join the army.
At the George they grossly chek you as if you were about to join the army.

Visited June 2012

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Bit of a dump”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was my first time here. I wanted to see what it was like but my friend said not to bother and to go to the dragon bar instead. The dragon was closed so we went to the george.
My friend was right to say don't bother. Its terrible.
The DJ was dirt, I mean absolutely awful music, mostly bad remixes. Not only that but it was so loud I was expecting my ears to start bleeding at any minute. The only song we danced to was the eurovision winner 'Euphoria'. Plus she was on a complete ego trip, refusing any requests for a decent song.
The price of my two vodka and cokes was over €15, was not impressed. And the place was manky. Even the walls were sweating.
I'll give the same advice I got about here - Don't Bother.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Meraxes
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“a good night out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

this is a gay bar but we went in a group of 9 - none of us are gay... I am not sure what your chances would be of hooking up with someone here if you are gay but we had a great time dancing to lots of cheesy music like Cher, S Club 7, Gina G and Janet Jackson. It opens until 3am on a Thursday so it was a good option after the pub closed. There are lots of pictures of gay icons on the wall like Britney Spears, Bosco & Madonna which is a nice touch - it's not really the place you go for a conversation. The music is very loud; basically from the minute you go in you can forget about talking and even though it was only a Thursday night it was very busy...The toilets are up a lot of steps so not great if you are not very mobile

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Tbh i have been going here for a few years on and off, some staff are nice, some are just rude. My friend went to bar for me for a bottle of sav blanc and returned with chardonnay and told me the bar man said " there was no sav blanc left, [--] him it'll do." I mean what kinda of way is that to speak about someone or treat someone. Sound was absolutly terrible, sound engineer needed, dj awful. Bingo is brilliant and drag entertainment is fantastic. I find the bouncers ok, well most people who dont like bouncers have had run ins with them.

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Please stay away.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I visited this club at the weekend. While I was at the bar I was picked on for no reason by two horrible women who I am sure had an ulterior motive. Bouncers got involved and took the women's side, took myself and my partner outside and then after talking said we were able to go back in. We went back to the hotel and spent our hard earned cash there. It could have turned very nasty and as a tourist who are the Garda going to take the side of?? Please stay away from this place and spend your money somewhere else. This place is full of trouble!!

5 Thank sputwesthampstead