“Dublin Rocks!”
Review of Ingenious Ireland - CLOSED

Ingenious Ireland
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique, hidden, different! Discover how the Irish changed the world, and other hidden Dublin stories on this fun, friendly and fascinating tour. Our enthusiastic and knowledgeable guides will open your eyes to fascinating Irish inventions. Then you can amaze your friends afterwards with all you've discovered! Regular tours in summer, or enjoy a tour whenever you want with our 'ready-to-go' MP3 tours and apps.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Thanks to Patrick for the wonderful tour through geological Eras in Dublin!!
The tour is well designed, with a mix of history, architecture and geology. Patrick was our guide and he is very knowledgeable and very good at engaging with the people, keeping attention levels high. He is funny,too!
Three of the people on the tour were geologists and they were enthusiastic by the level of details and precision in geological terms.
If you like to discover details of Dublin which might otherwise go unnoticed, take the tour!
You'll look at buildings with a different eyes...asking yourself with that stone is from Jurassic or Carboniferous times!

1  Thank Roberta B

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The science walking tour is terrific! Who knew that Dublin is so full of wacky, downright amazing links to major, life-changing science of the past – and the future!! Not to mention fascinating insights into the lives of scientists – they’re not just plaster statues (with wigs on)! The 'geeks' are bright, friendly and great fun. Highly recommended!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm reviewing the recorded Dublin Rocks tour, aka Dublin on the Rocks. I can't praise it highly enough. As one who loves rocks, stones, and history, I am not sure a more suitable tour could exist for me, and this one was first rate. I wasn't surprised to learn at the end that it was made with the support of the Heritage Council and the Geological Survey of Ireland. It crams lots of information into a 90-minute stroll without ever getting stuffy or stodgy. The recording was clear, lively, and beautifully narrated by the author. Traveling a fairly short route from High Street to Saint Stephen's Green, it reveals the geology as well as the history of many buildings and other stony things that you pass every day in Dublin. I was delighted over and over again by the things pointed out to me on the tour, and since taking it I have been noticing things in Dublin I overlooked before.

I had never taken a recorded tour before. Normally, I would have signed up with a live guide, but as it was the middle of winter, I downloaded the tour instead from the Ingenious Ireland site. My husband and I walked the route on a cold December day, and I must say we were grateful for the opportunity to pause the program twice when rain showers started up. The first time, we nipped in to a cafe, and the second time, on Dame Street, we stopped for lunch. We used an iPod in an iHome so we could play the tour loudly enough to hear it over traffic. The only time we couldn't hear was outside Christchurch, where the bells rang almost incessantly since it was Sunday, and we gave up and ducked into the Jury's across the way to listen to that section. Sunday is probably the least advantageous day to take this tour, because some things you can visit during the week are closed. But it was still excellent!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great way to get 'new eyes' on your own city, and learn lots of gruesome facts to impress your friends! For example, we learned that the word 'gala' originates from the word 'gallows', from back when hangings were a public spectacle. We were transported back to the times of the Black Death, leper colonies and when gentlemen used goatskin sheaths as condoms. Was glad to return to modern times at the end! Fantastic tour guide, good craic, great story-telling. Recommended.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked the Ingenious Inventions tour for a group of 70 academics from about 30 different countries, hoping the language barrier wouldn't be a problem. I needn't have worried - the old 'Irish banter' kicked in and everyone was immediately put at their ease! We split into 3 groups, and each of our guides was fantastic. Their in-depth knowledge of the history of Dublin and its inventors was quite simply amazing, and they were well able to understand and deal with the many 'curved-ball' questions that were thrown at them! We were delighted with our 'goody-bags' at the end, and the group was really fascinated with and appreciative of the whole experience. It was a wonderful, novel way to showcase Dublin, and I would highly recommend this tour.