“Cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in!”

Generator Hostel Dublin
Ranked #5 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here in August 2012 (it wouldn't let me select that option) Great Location, Friendly staff, easy to meet other solo travelers. Very new and clean, with each bunk having its own power-point, light and under-bed locker with padlock-able catch made security really easy which was a relief. Not a huge amount of character, but the atmosphere was still really good and it seemed almost hotel-standard for a hostel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the positive review.

We hope to see you back in Dublin very soon!

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here in May 2013 for 4 days. It was very easy to get to and was in a good location with easy access to the tram. It was a 2min walk to the Jameson distillery if you wanted to explore that. The people working reception were really friendly and nice, even though I couldn't check in for an hour. When I checked in I was told I had been upgraded to a larger room which included a jacuzzi. When I went to my room the first problem was that my assigned bed was already in use by another person. So back down to reception I went. That got sorted quickly and I was able to go back up to my room. My room was a disaster, it looked liked it hadn't been cleaned in a few days. Yes, my roommates were messy but the state of the en-suite was disgusting. There was 2 showers, 2 toilets, a jacuzzi, and a 2 sinks. The jacuzzi still had water in it from the night before, the toilets had not been cleaned recently and showers needed a good scrubbing as well as the rest of the floor. The nice thing about the room was it was extremely large with large windows and there was extra space even with 8 beds in the room. Another issue I had was access to cooking and refrigeration which was extremely limited so I ate out most of the time. My roommates were also able to bring in strangers they met on the streets at night which did not make me feel safe, I feel like these people should have been stopped at the door. The storage room you only could access with a key card and you were able to store your items before and after checkout which was handy. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone else based on the cleanliness, safety, and access to kitchen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mauko13
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I would like to thank you for all your comments as this helps me to investigate your issues so they can be resolved immediately.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We were completely told off twice by two different Polish reception girls.very unfriendly and unwelcoming. Spoiled our whole stay here. Plus the room we stayed in was very very cold.heating was not working. Not coming back here for sure

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank rickyfly
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. Firstly I would like to offer my apologies that your stay was not enjoyable. Here at Generator we pride ourselves in our customer service so I am very disappointed in your review. I would like the opportunity to discuss this further if you could send me your contact details to maureen.meegan@generatorhostels.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thessaloniki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

The place was great, the location was ideal, and the lounge bar area was really welcoming. There's a super market and a tram stop very close to the hostel. Also a great breakfast cafe right in front of it.
The biggest problem (apart from the free wifi not working most of the time) was the hearing. It was terribly noisy while it was on, and it was event turned off during the night.
Finally, the staff has been most helpful whenever we needed instructions.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the first floor (you will hear the bar noise).
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise that the wifi was on and off, it is under re-construction at the moment and will be resolved very shortly.

Lorena, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Generator is close to a LUAS station and also, you can walk to the main atractions of Dublin. The room should be more clean. Great staff, bar and lounge room. The Wifi doesn't work very well, but it's free. Laundry is good and cheap, be careful with hot water and the dryer, it may shrink your clothes.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a floor that is close to the toilets, it's better for showering.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MoniqueMascarenhas
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all your comments.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at The Generator with my 10 yr old son 22,23,24 dec. 1st of all any negative reviews, totally dismiss them. Generator Hostel is a hidden gem. Totally blown away by the cool and hip atmosphere. Everything you need is here. Bar,breakfast, late bar snacks entertainment.The main lounge area is seriously funky. I stayed in room 410 with private bathroom which was clean comfy and modern. There's no Tv's in room but free wifi on your tablet sorts that. I arrived early at 11 o'clock and it was no problem for reception to sort out my room. Reception are so helpful and friendly. I just wish barman was more friendly but that is just being picky. (Guinness 5 euro,Fosters 4.50 euro)Tram is 2 mins away. Bus 5 mins away. Main train station 2 stops on tram (1.90 euro)Airport is 6 euro on bus every 15 mins. Takes about 20 mins. There's a cinema 1 min away.a supermarket 2 mins away and couple of wine bars. I found a traditional Irish pub The Cobblestone which plays live Irish music every night for free. That's only 3 mins walk. How Amazing is this Hostel. I paid 75 euro for me and me son for our stay WOW. Trust me,book here and be blown away.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank deepgoat
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted to hear that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope that you will return to Dublin sometime in the future.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days 3 night s with a group of 8, in a 8 person room, in ground floor room 022.

This hostel is near to everything, cafe, bars, grocery shop,and the bridge to other side to dublin. I personally love the bed, super comfortable, I felt like lying there whole day,hahaha! the space in lobby and bar is cool and chilling, very lovely, and the staffs are friendly. For the price, it's really cheap, it's really cool for this type of hostel. It is clean, and the interior design is cool. One small thing I'm a little disappointed is the bar and the pool area closes pretty early. I hope it's open until 2 3 midnight. And the internet is pretty slow. But if you use pc it's fast. They provide you maps and must visit destinations on maps, so it's really useful. They also have live bands performing on certain days, and events/ parties, all you need to do is check the notice board.

Overall, I like it. :D

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angel T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your positive comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Dublin in the near future.