“First Time in a Hostel”

Ranked #5 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Canada
“First Time in a Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Generator Hostel was a decent place to stay while in Dublin. The location of the hostel is excellent, as it is easy to walk to any of the sites within the city. We had booked a 6-bedroom dorm with ensuite and when we arrived both the room and the bathroom were very clean. On the final night of our stay we were told by a woman who worked there that they were going to be putting 2 more beds in our room. We were a little taken aback by this, but she soon returned and told us that this was not going to happen.
The shower in the bathroom was the only downfall of the place. The drain was either very clogged or broken as the floor of the shower flooded every time you showered. As well the poor ventilation in the washroom has lead to the accumulation of some mildew/mold around the shower.
Overall a decent value for the money paid.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wyto_13
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments and the housekeeping department has been informed of your feedback.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed there for one week and it was good value for money. Although, when I was looking for a hostel in Dublin about a month later it was more expensive.
I stayed in a six bed with private bath dorm. It was clean and quiet. Each bed had its own light and sockets and there are lock up storages in the bedrooms so you can leave your stuff with no worries. The window didn't open much and that might be a problem if there is a stinky person in the same room as you are.
The common area has a great atmosphere and it's really nice, playing good music. There is a bar inside the hostel, which is great. It has a pool table and couches to enjoy the company of other guests.
The only problem is that there is only one big common area and if you want a quiet place to read or some privacy to work or do your stuff you may not have if, since you might be sharing a room with strangers - and some of them spend a lot of time in the bedroom.
The price doesn't include breakfast and the food there is not cheap. I didn't know if there was a kitchen in the hostel because when I checked in I wasn't told about anything. They just gave me my key card and a piece of paper with the room and bed number.
The laundry is 7 euros to wash and dry, but there are only two washing machines for a large number of beds. On top of that, one of the machines was broken, so one washing machine to be shared. If you need to do your laundry, hope that you are the only one.
Part of the staff was nice and friendly, but not all of them. I was received by a rude woman with bad English on my arrival.
I made my reservation directly at their own website and at the end I had to choose the time of arrival. I chose between 12-1 pm, but when I arrived, at 1 pm, I was told that I would have to wait, because the check-in time was only at 2 pm, so I had to pay for a locker in the basement while I went to have lunch, when all I wanted to do was to take a shower.
The location is not ideal, but it's a walking distance to Temple Bar and other attractions.

Room Tip: There are supermarkets around, but they are expensive. Walk a little bit and you'll find a cheap...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments good or bad as it gives us a great guide on how we can improve our customer service and facilities.

All your comments will be shared with the relevant departments for review.

We hope to see you back in the future.

Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

My family (myself, husband and 2 grown young adult kids) stayed one night at the Generator. We booked a private room with 4 bunks and an en suite bath. The staff was friendly. The common areas were very nice (lobby, restaurant/bar). The bunks were comfortable and had reading lights/outlets on each bed. My only complaint was that our room was toward the front of the building and there was a loud group of people outside the entire night, drinking and carrying on. Was not conducive for a good night's sleep. The food was so-so, bar drinks on the expensive. Self-serve automatic luggage storage available. Good location (we walked to the Guinness Storehouse and Temple Bar areas). Would recommend to anyone looking for an inexpensive stay in Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the front of the building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for all your nice comments.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a view nights in Oct 2012 and I was q bit weary of staying here as it was a hostel and I've previously stayed in one which put me off but to be honest I wouldnt class this as a hostel, was very clean, clean sheets and room also all areas of hostel was clean! We booked a double room private and we got what was on the tin two bede very basic but it was alright for what we paid! The bar and entertainment was good at night and cheap bar! The hostel has loads of old jamesons things around which is a lovely touch! I heard no noise after 12pm so was alright to sleep :)
Staff are friendly the only let down is thelocation bit far from central but the bus stops right by :)
Will definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all your positive comments and we hope to welcome you back to Dublin in the near future.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hostel looks really nice and the location is not too bad. But: we booked a twin room which was not available on arrival, and they didn't offer to fix this. When asked to call the manager, the problem was solved by moving rooms the next day, but we had to check out and check in again, which was a bit annoying because there was a 4 hour gap between check out and in.
The thing to know: DO NOT get breakfast here: it costs 4 euro for only marmelade on a white bun or cornflakes with yoghurt - way too simple for 4 euro's, and the worst hostel breakfast I have ever had. There is a great place across from the hostel that offers a wonderful breakfast for basically the same prices, so just go there in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Leolike
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We welcome all feedback as it gives us a great indication of how we can improve our services/facilities, so I would like to thank you for sharing yours with us.

We hope that you will return sometime in the future.

Omagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hostel for two nights and really enjoyed it. The best looking hostel I have probably ever stayed in. The rooms were fine although the are pretty small. It's a short distance from temple bar and the sight seeing bus stops more or less outside of it. Staff are not so friendly but at less you don't have to look at them for long!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the Generator Dublin. Thank you for all your comments which I have shared with the team.

Novi Sad, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

As someone who stays in between Sofitel and hostels, I give all my recommendations to Generator. Basic clean rooms, super interesting hall, just behind the Old Jameson distillery, quiet at night... Easy to reach Temple Bar, Guinness Storehouse just across the river. I have not tasted food here, except breakfast, but that really does not count. Stayed for only one night, would gladly go again...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Dublin Generator. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.