Generator Hostel Dublin
  • Room Service
Harding Hotel(Dublin)
The Clarence(Dublin)
2,231 results
All reviewsjameson distillerybunk bedssmithfield squareprivate bathroomluggage storagetemple bartram stopcommon areasgreat barminute walkcity centrebar downstairsdormroommateslockbackpackerscomputers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The location was Right by a tram stop and only a short walk into the city centre, the room was basic and the eds and bathroom were clean. We had no shower mat included, no soap and no toilet paper holder. The only window we could open was in the bathroom which was than shut off by a heavy bathroom door that wouldn't stay open? It had a kitchen which couldn't be accessed. And to access the laundry we needed a different key, which we weren't given when we brought tokens for it, we had to go back and ask how to get in to it. The reception staff were however helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate your feedback and have passed all your comments to the relevant teams. If you wish to return in the future please feel free to contact us directly to book.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Let me start by saying that this is one of the best hostels I’ve ever stayed in however it could also be a whole lot better if it wasn’t for a few small things. The location is pretty good, only a 10-15 minute walk from the centre and other attractions and it also has a tram stop just down the street so I couldn’t fault it on that. The building itself is massive and everything inside it looks almost brand new. Most of the staff were really nice but there was a couple of staff members who I believe were Eastern European that let the team down a bit by being a little rude and unfriendly. The rooms were very nice and clean but our room was also very hot and stuffy and only had one small window which didn’t open enough to let much fresh air in. They had a bar in the hostel which looks really cool and it had a large projector screen which was showing most of the Olympic events whilst we were there. Unfortunately though the bar seemed to lack any real atmosphere, perhaps it was because of the awkward layout and god awful club music they were playing but we just found it hard to want to stay there and drink, the prices were no better than any where else in town also which is usually why you would stay in the hostel bar. Every hostel we’d visited so far had a kitchen and so did the Generator, but we were told that we were not allowed to use it and only certain people in the hostel were given access which was very strange. They did have a cafe however which sold excellent burgers but we felt a bit like we were almost forced into buying them as we couldn’t use the kitchen and there wasn’t any good places to eat nearby. All in all though the Generator was a very nice hostel and definitely one of the best we’ve been in so far, but I have to score it down a bit due to the fact it lets itself down with such small things that could easily be amended that would really aid the average backpacker on their journey.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JennyBones
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. Thank you for all your comments and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We take all guests feedback very seriously and discuss with the team on a regular basis.

Now that we are open one year we are undergoing a few changes which coincides with some of your comments and will improve our operations futher.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

A group of 8 of us stayed at this hostel for a friends stag doo. Having never been to either Dublin or the hostel before and knowing that it had not cost us much expectations were not high. So imagine our surprise when we got there to find an ultra modern, very clean hostel with all of the amenities you could need and brilliant spacious rooms with en suite shower/toilet to boot!! Furthermore the location was just perfect and within easy walking distance of the city centre!
Having never stayed in a hostel before I really didn't know what to expect but this place more than exceeded my expectations and would give most regular hotels a run for their money!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank David28macfarlane

Dear Guest,

Thank your for taking the time to post your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that the hostel exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked the Generator for a weekend in Dublin for a friends Hen Do in June.

I have to say that I could not fault the place one bit. Having previously stayed in a Dublin Hostel around 5 years ago, we were a bit apprehensive, but the website gave a good impression, and we were not disappointed!

The place is modern, clean, and ideal for a group of friends.

The rooms are spacious, with an en suite bathroom. The bunk beds are really comfortable and each had their own light and plug socket (for the all important phone charger!)

Location wise the hostel is ideally situated right next to the Jameson's Distillery. The tour bus stops outside, and there is a tram stop and the end of the street.

I would definitely consider this place again when visiting Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My actual rating is closer to 3.5 but I will round up because I had a good time over there.

The Vibe:
This hostel has hands down the coolest vibe I have seen at a hostel. There is a very fun atmosphere and a great space to be social. The hostel has a very corporate feel to it. You need to buy alcohol from their bar (you cant bring in outside drinks; making drinking there fairly expensive) and food is fairly pricey for mediocre quality (6.50 Euro for a burger and fries). There is a super market nearby (across the square) which helps to keep food cost down.

Location:
The location is neither great nor poor. Everything in Dublin is walking/biking distance. Generator isn't what I would call stumbling distance from the party scene but it is very close to tourist attractions and the train station (i walked from the train to the hostel in about 15 min).

Staff:
The staff was pretty helpful although there was some unwarrented attitude when I first checked in. It could have been because they were busy but this adds to the corporate feel of the hostel. They were not especially helpful when I asked questions and always seemed like their attention needed to be elsewhere.

Cleanliness:
This is where the marks really came down. I had an 8 person en suite. I do not think the place was cleaned once in the 3 days I was there. For sure not the bathroom. I highly recommend bringing shower shoes to this place bc I was afraid of gangrene if I walked barefoot. I complained to the desk staff and they said someone would look into it, which didn't resolve the fact that it was still dirty the next 2 days (points off for ignoring my request to keep my bathroom disease free).

Beds:
Super comfy, 2 outlets, private light, locker underneath. Perfect.

Bottom Line:
If you need a cheap place, Generator has a fun vibe and is a great spot to meet people; as long as you don't mind less than average service and a lackluster cleaning staff. Overall I would consider staying here again but it is about 50/50 at this point.

Room Tip: In the summer the first floor rooms get super hot and there are very small windows. Open the door to create a cross breeze and you should be ok.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dshulman100

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin. We appreciate all your comments and for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

The policy in Generator is not to clean the bathroom everyday but rubbish is emptied everyday from both bins. The room is cleaned thoroughly every 7 days regardless if people are checking out or not. However I do apologise that your request was not fullfilled.

If you wish to return to Generator please contact us directly.