“Crypts and Mummies!”

Dublin Gravedigger Ghost Tour
Ranked #43 of 567 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Underneath the church are five long burial vaults containing the mummified remains of many of Dublin's most influential 17th, 18th and 19th century families, including the legendary Shears brothers and the highly decorated coffins of the Earl's of Leitrim. Since Victorian times visitors have descended the vault steps to see the mummies and Bram Stoker, creator of the "Dracula" stories is believed to have visited the vaults in the company of his family. In one vault can be seen the remains of the "Crusader" though in fact he is only 650 years dead. The early visitors to the vaults were responsible for many of the myths and legends surrounding the bodies, though modern scientific investigations have cast doubts on many of these stories. Nevertheless, a visit to the Crypts to see the historic mummies is a remarkable experience.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our cab driver grew up in Dublin and had never heard of the crypts below St. Michan's church. The church itself was not impressive but the tour of the crypt was fascinating! We paid 6 euro for a very small group tour (very few people were there) and were led down to 2 separate crypt areas under the church. The tour was short but very interesting. The most amazing part was that we were actually able to go into the crypts where 4 mummies were lying in the open. The oldest mummy was 700 years old. The bodies had mummified naturally and were very well preserved. The guide told us a story that had been passed down through the years that it was good luck to shake the old mummy's hand and would shorten one's time in purgatory. Tourists are no longer allowed to shake the hand but the guide did tell us to touch his finger! Amazing and shocking but still respectful. Well worth the small fee and short amount of time. Walking distance to all other Dublin attractions

Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"organ"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I went there after hearing about the mummies. I decided to check it out and the mummies are really cool -- you can even touch them! The tour itself is interesting, but the tour guide is very....strange. I still don't know what to think about him, he was really peculiar. I think he doesn't match my sense of humor, so I'd prefer having a 'regular' tour guide. Other than that, go and see it if you can!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This place was high on my list of things to see in the city. We only had two days there but I was interested in going to some of the offbeat attractions that wouldn't be overrun with tourists. The only problem that we had was in not reading our guidebook correctly. I am generally a very organized and prepared traveler, but we decided to head up here mid-afternoon, and I accidentally skimmed my book and only read the opening time. Unfortunately, they close the whole place down for one hour for lunch. We arrived just in time for that. So, we crossed the river again and had a pint at the pub, and went back when they reopened. I hated to lose that time, but I'm glad we went back. The church itself won't astound you, unless you really like Handel and believe he rehearsed The Messiah on their organ, but the crypts are the reason to go.

Our guide was very weird and perfect for the job. At one point I was certain he was going to turn to someone and say, "Mr. Potter, 5 points from Gryffindor". He just had a quirky and slightly creepy quality to him that was absolutely perfect for showing people mummies.

The most interesting thing for me was the fact that some of the chambers could still be used. You could do a thorough inspection of your lineage and find that one of your distant relatives was the original purchaser of that vault and you could have your remains placed there tomorrow if you want. I think that is amazing. Because those are active vaults, there are no lights inside for you to see. This just makes things that much creepier.

The grand finale is the vault with the exposed bodies. The dryness of the rock and the general atmosphere of the crypt has essentially mummified the remains of these bodies. You can see delicate finger and toenails of a woman, the broken legs of a man too big for his coffin. And if you're really brave, the guide will let you inside and you can rub that mans finger for luck.

Maybe not suitable for small children!

2  Thank SarahsAdventures
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I didn't realize that St. Michan's was across the street from Jameson Distillery until we walked out. We decided to see what these corpses were all about and took the "tour".
It was a strange experience but well worth the small fee we had to pay. I think what was so good about this was the guy gave us the tour. He made it eerie but interesting and was funny at the same time. I don't think you will be disappointed!