“Genealogy help”

National Library of Ireland
Ranked #46 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Library of Ireland holds the most outstanding collection of Irish documentary material in the world. There are three reading rooms and a Genealogy Advisory Service to assist family history researchers. The Library also has two major exhibitions, the multi-awarding winning 'Yeats : the life and work of WB Yeats' and 'Strangers to Citizens : the Irish in Europe 1600-1800'. Entry to the Library and exhibitions is free.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The library has great service for genealogists whether new or experienced. There is a bank of computers that are free to use with links to many genealogy sites and archives. I had some specific genealogy queries and this was my second visit to this department. On both occasions, the staff have listened and helped me greatly with my research.

The library itself has lots of resources and a day can pass vey quickly if your are interested in Irish history!

There are newer reviews for National Library of Ireland

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was wandering in Dublin early having left my dreadful b&b accommodation Springfields at the crack of dawn - when I saw this exhibition.Also free admission . I thought it brilliantly curated and very interesting. It was pleasing visually and erudite which such luminaries as Seamus Heaney - no mean poet himself giving video commentaries.
There was a good section on Yeats magical thinking and other works and on his unrequited passion for the lunatic Maud.
I enjoyed it you might too.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was in the city with my son who is 18 trying to kill an hour before a family celebration. It was too early for a drink & we visited the National Library (NLI) right next door to the. Dail on Kildare St. It is an oasis. We were gob-smacked with the whole place. It should be. Built into transition year trips for students as my son is convinced he will return during his 3rd level studies over the coming years. There is an amazing amount of historical material. It was just an eye opener. No charge & very very enjoyable.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Check out the Yeats and Joyce exhibitions. Unusually for Dublin, the library is free, unlike everything bar fresh air in Dublin. Good audio exhibits, a trifle dark down there but still good. Makes me go and want to find out more about Yeats n Joyce.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Only visited the free and informative William Butler Yates presentation.
On the way down there you pass a short but interesting presentation on James Joyce.

The Yates audio visual presentation downstairs is in partial darkness, presumably to protect the delicate exhibits. Personally I found it difficult to read some of the exhibits.

As a none iIrishman I found the life of Yates as presented interesting and it left me wanting to find out more. So I might look for a good biography. There is a good audiovisual reading of some of his poems.

Well worth visiting if you have any interest in Irish literary figures. Very good. Bur bring your reading glasses.

1  Thank Robbie G