“beautiful venue, but very empty. hardly any exhibits”

Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA)
Book In Advance
Ranked #114 of 530 things to do in Dublin
Hastings, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“beautiful venue, but very empty. hardly any exhibits”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

disabled facilities. cafe do nice coffee/cakes. not many paintings, more installations and to be honest i wasn't impressed by any of them, esp the one with the cat cut in half....ewwww

1 Thank chrissy181961

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“WARNING!”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

There was a dead cat (split in half) as an exhibit...totally caught me off guard. This was another stop off the hop on/hop off bus tour. I wouldn't say that was a must see. Lots of modern stuff. But I will say, the grounds were incredible and I really enjoyed the coffee shoppe.

2 Thank Molly S
Rhos on Sea, North Wales
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Is this art?”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Ah yes. Modern art!!! The building and grounds are great. The exhibits inside leave a lot to be desired. Can you call moving light tubes to put them on hooks on a wall art? Or can you call moving four wooden boxes around a floor art? Not really. That is of course after you have managed to find the building.

3 Thank MalcolmC
Castletownbere, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“good museum experience”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

has a varied programme of exhibitions and a restaurant and book shop worth a 1/2 day out. Have a look at some of the sculptures in the grounds too

Visited January 2014
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“impressive Building and grounds”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Royal hospital itself is worth a visit, even if you have no interest in modern art. When I visited it was with my college, they had begun to take down the recent Eileen Gray exhibition, we did get a guided tour of the In the Line of Beauty exhibition, some of the exhibits really caught my imagination and some were completely over my head. Our guide Joan was excellent and I didn't feel like I was on a guide tour at all , more like a day out with a very knowledgeable friend, her easy way of speaking, her passion and enthusiasm were a great help in understanding what the artists were trying to portray. Before this visit I might have felt a bit unsure of visiting a modern art gallery, now I know what I could be missing I wont be a stranger anymore.

Visited January 2014