“Glasvevin Cemetery Tour is Excellent”

Glasnevin Cemetery Museum
Ranked #16 of 514 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Brilliant tour today of the Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin. Excellent guide who was very knowledgeable . Anyone who loves Irish history will love this as well as those who just love to stroll around outdoors or wander around old graves. The museum is also great and cafe has indoor and outdoor seating which was nice especailly on the lovely hot day we spent.there. Also it is only a stones throw from the Botanic Gardens.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,163)
All reviews
"historical figures"
in 80 reviews
"o connell"
in 64 reviews
"interested in irish history"
in 127 reviews
"city centre"
"visiting dublin"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The tombs around the circle are crumbling, at the necropolis I wandered for hours reading stones. Found one with Devereux died 1859 cool. No one in there so very good solitary strolling.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had heard so many people raving about the New Museum and tour in Glasnevin Cemetery we just had to go and see what all the fuss was about. Having been born less than 3 miles from Glasnevin it was a place I had visited over the years growing up and thought I knew quite a bit about the place but how wrong was I. The museum and the guided tour have to rate with me as the best attraction Dublin has to offer and a “Must See” on any visit to Dublin and I learned so much about Irish and Dublin history during the visit.

I will be going again but this time I will give myself some more time to explore after the guided tour as it is an amazing place and now has the added bonus of a gate into the Botanic Garden which was recently opened to allow easy access between the Cemetery and Botanic gardens.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The youngest of our 'group of 7' is 7 years old, the eldest is almost 75 - 3 generations of the family - all piled into the car and headed to Glasnevin Cemetery for a 'Family Tour'. When I suggested it, I thought they'd think I was mad (my 7yo DID think I was mad), but they all jumped at it! It was excellent - our tour lasted just under 1.5 hours and we'd all have happily trooped around for longer. It was fascinating - pitched towards a child's understanding, I found it perfect myself - I am no historian!! All three of our generations were inthralled and we all want to go back, explore at greater length, find out some more...

The indoor museum is really very good too - I loved the bench where you could sit and listen to a recording of the gravediggers - recorded in 2009 - brilliant...

We had a fantastic tour guide, it's a stunningly well kept place, steeped in history, and beautifully maintained visitor areas (toilets, cafe, shop). Highly recommend!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Whether you are a Dublin native, visitor or tourist this is a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. The cemetery itself is really beautiful and the museum, with all of its interactive displays is truly fascinating but you would be missing a fantastic experience if you do not take the tour. Our guide was Doireann, whose knowledge of Irish history was only surpassed by her razor sharp wit. She walked and talked us through the main ‘stars’ of Irish history, with enough background information to keep us all interested and engaged. I will be back, both to do some more of the tours and to explore Glasnevin more fully.