“Incredible”

Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #3 of 530 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Wausau, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We wandered Glasnevin Cemetery on a cold, rainy day and it was beautiful, in the way that cemeteries can be. I regret not taking the guided tour because I feel that we missed out on a lot of interesting stories that a guide would have shared. I picked up a few books in the visitor center: Glasnevin - Ireland's Necropolis and Dead Interesting, both authored by Shane MacThomais. The books contain a wealth of information and are perhaps the best "souvenirs" I purchased in Ireland. Glasnevin was one of the highlights of my trip to Ireland and I would definitely go again.

1 Thank trixie_95

• Polish first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Fantastic, well worth a visit!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my family on a Sunday. Having grown up in the area I was delighted that the tour and musuem did such justice to the history and culture. Niall was our tour guide, he showed a wealth of knowledge and a huge passion for the history of our country.

Dublin, Ireland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Excellent or visitors or locals!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a Dubliner, Ive been meaning to go to Glasnevin Cemetary for years. I ended up getting a Groupon deal and went with my mum and I cant believe I waited this long. It really was excellent.

Our ticket covered the tour of the cemetary and the museum. The tour took approximately 1hr 15mins although I suspect this could go to 1hr 30mins, it was just very cold the day we were there. Walking wise, there is not a huge amount of walking involved (depite the amount of time it takes so it is suitable for all ages). One word of caution on the weather front is to be aware that you are outside for the entire tour. We went on an especially cold day so we were freezing. So just consider wrapping up if its cold out. The tour content is excellent and the visit to Daniel O'Connell's crypt is very interesting. Note - this is the only part of the tour where you have to walk down some steps so not pram or wheelchair friendly but the rest of the tour is.

Our guide was very informative and knowledgable which was great. One thing I would say if you are a visitor, is that it would be helpful to know what the 1916 Rising was. Our guide assumed we knew but then the majority of the people on the tour were Irish so you would expect them to know!

There are so many famous people buried here that you could spend a whole day walking around if you wanted.

After the tour we got a cup of tea and treat in the Tower Cafe which was excellent. It served a variety of buns and caked to paninis and full meals. Excellent facility.

Finally, we wandered through the museum which provided very good information about the cemetary. Personally, the tour was the highlight for me so I would highly recommend it.

1 Thank meenamara
Ireland
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“City of the Dead – the tour”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Despite both my parents and my parents-in-law being permanent residents of the Cemetery, I was embarrassed at not having previously taken the tour. Because of time constraints on my German relation, I had to choose a cold, wet Thursday afternoon in March to visit the place.

The cemetery is 3.5k north of the city centre, with plenty of parking opposite. Some requires payment and some is free, while the following buses stop opposite the gate - 40, 40b, 40d & 140.
The tour and museum access cost €12 per adult [March 2013].

The cemetery has a population of 1.5million (in a city of 1.2miliion) and contains the remains of a huge number of significant Irish men and women since it opened in 1832. It was co-founded by Daniel O’Connell, whose mausoleum is marked by a huge round tower.

The tour lasts about 1hr 15mins and includes the graves of some prominent figures in Irish history from O’Connell himself to the revolution and civil war of the early twentieth century. It starts with a re-enactment of Pearse’s oration at the graveside of O’Donovan Rosa...”the fools, the fools, they have left us our Fenian dead” and works its way around to the grave of Michael Collins, hero of the revolution. It will be difficult not to get emotional at the stories of our savage civil war, as one time friends became bitter enemies, killing each other, only to lie finally at peace, side by side in Glasnevin. I was so absorbed by the tour that I only realised I was cold and wet when the tour finished and I stepped back into the Museum building..

Our tour guide, Niall, was excellent. His explanations catered for both Irish and foreign visitors, his diction was clear (much needed in a strong wind) and as he’s a Dub, his sense of humour was perfectly suited to his stories. He presented the facts and left us to decide how we felt about them.

The museum itself is somewhat Spartan. The top floor mainly comprises touch screens giving info on famous residents and computer screens allowing access to research one’s ancestors. As part of the entry fee, you get a voucher for 10 credits. This allows you to do a certain amount of research either on site, or later on your own computer.
The basement is more atmospheric, with an AV story of the cemetery, several life size exhibits of grave diggers and grave robbers and a wall of items that had accompanied their owners into their graves.

In conclusion, if any part of you is Irish this is a must see. If not, spend a couple of hours in Glasnevin and you’ll understand us better.

1 Thank JoeFrancis
Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great history!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I spent an afternoon here way back in April and it was the most enjoyable and interesting afternoons I've had for a long time. Glasnevin has got an amazing amount of history, much more than I realised. It follows the line of Irish history and all the major events through it. The best part was being allowed in to Daniel O'Connell's crypt. Its been recently restored and is very colourful! Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions. The only part of the tour that I didn't stay for was the commemoration sequence they do at the end. A must for all visitors to Dublin who want to know more about Irish history.

Visited April 2012