“A Guided Tour is a Must!”

Glasnevin Cemetery Museum
Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #3 of 530 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Guided Tour is a Must!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked a tour of Glasnevin Cemetery over a year ago. I live near by and have always wanted to do it but i think the tour was always during the day once a week. Now it's so popular I believe it's on every day. Definately worth doing this Tour and I would do it again. It's very interesting and the Guides are passionate in their story telling. I learned about those who fought and died for Ireland who were buried here and to be there takes you back in time as our tour guide goes into the history of the various famous and not so famous graves. We went down into the Crypt of Daniel O'ConnellI and there were about 5 other coffins in at the back to the left who were related to him. Near the end of the Tour it's fascinating and funny when you get within reach of the Grave Diggers Pub and that has a different story to tell to add to the tales of the Cemetery. I won't tell you that bit you need to take the tour but it's worth it. It's a must for every Irish Citizen for sure, I found out facts about History I must have been asleep in school for!! I appreciated History more now! There is a beautiful Museum near the gate and you can trace back to your roots and the Tower Cafe.

Visited April 2012

• Polish first
Essex
“Guided tour”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Excellent tour of Glasnevin Cemetery, absolutely full of history, and a great tour guide Niall. My sister in law discovered her grandmother is buried there and the staff were very helpful in helping her find out more.

Visited February 2013
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very good tour”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Being a local I wanted to do the tour to be able to recommend it to visitors. I would definitely recommend it. Very interesting and fascinating tour, I learned so much about Irish History in the process. The centre is very modern and organised. Strange as funerals are still going on in the background so requires a degree of quiet respect.

Visited January 2013
“Glasnevin Cemetery Tour”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent place. Great tour of a place a rich history placed in a enthralling narrative. Museum is great. Great place for anyone from eight to 88. Recommend you to walk around the parts of the cemetery the tour doesn't bring you particularly to older parts. A must for visitors to Dublin and Ireland but also us Irish ourselves.

Visited March 2013
Monkstown, Ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Not surprised to learn that it is #1 attraction in Dublin”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had never heard about tours or a museum in Glasnevin Cemetery before and just went there today to locate my wife's grandfather tomb, after spending a 1/2 day there I am not at all surprised that Glasnevin Cemetery is the #1 attraction in Dublin according to TripAdvisor, this place is amazing!

I tagged along to a tour that had already started, my main reason for wanting to join a tour was that this is the only way to visit Daniel O'Connell's crypt, I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't known much about his crypt before, but after today I know a lot more.

Our guide was Laura, extremely informative, very happy to answer other questions and she had the knowledge to answer them, often guides only know "the script", but this was not the case with Laura. I also spoke with a very pleasant girl called Grainne at the desk. Grainne was able to answer almost every question I had, there was one she didn't know, so she took my details so the museum historian could give me a call, I went and enjoyed a cappuccino in the cafe, 5 mins later Grainne came in with a book which had the answer to my question, it is this sort of "going the extra mile" that really make a place special and for this I award a rare 5 stars!

Laura was very natural and really brought the people to life, particularly touching for me was the story of Kitty Kiernan, Michael Collin's fiancée.

Definite recommend, best place i've visited in Dublin.

The only problems I'd report were that parking was not really obviously marked and it took us a couple of attempts to find parking. The restaurant was also very busy as there seems to be a bus tour down from Belfast. As I said I was enthralled by Glasnevin, but perhaps it wouldn't be as interesting to non-Irish people, I'm not sure.

Visited March 2013