“Glasnevin Cemetery Tour”

Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #2 of 504 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Dublin, Ireland
“Glasnevin Cemetery Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent place. Great tour of a place a rich history placed in a enthralling narrative. Museum is great. Great place for anyone from eight to 88. Recommend you to walk around the parts of the cemetery the tour doesn't bring you particularly to older parts. A must for visitors to Dublin and Ireland but also us Irish ourselves.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
Monkstown, Ireland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Not surprised to learn that it is #1 attraction in Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had never heard about tours or a museum in Glasnevin Cemetery before and just went there today to locate my wife's grandfather tomb, after spending a 1/2 day there I am not at all surprised that Glasnevin Cemetery is the #1 attraction in Dublin according to TripAdvisor, this place is amazing!

I tagged along to a tour that had already started, my main reason for wanting to join a tour was that this is the only way to visit Daniel O'Connell's crypt, I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't known much about his crypt before, but after today I know a lot more.

Our guide was Laura, extremely informative, very happy to answer other questions and she had the knowledge to answer them, often guides only know "the script", but this was not the case with Laura. I also spoke with a very pleasant girl called Grainne at the desk. Grainne was able to answer almost every question I had, there was one she didn't know, so she took my details so the museum historian could give me a call, I went and enjoyed a cappuccino in the cafe, 5 mins later Grainne came in with a book which had the answer to my question, it is this sort of "going the extra mile" that really make a place special and for this I award a rare 5 stars!

Laura was very natural and really brought the people to life, particularly touching for me was the story of Kitty Kiernan, Michael Collin's fiancée.

Definite recommend, best place i've visited in Dublin.

The only problems I'd report were that parking was not really obviously marked and it took us a couple of attempts to find parking. The restaurant was also very busy as there seems to be a bus tour down from Belfast. As I said I was enthralled by Glasnevin, but perhaps it wouldn't be as interesting to non-Irish people, I'm not sure.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank rejoyce1976
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“strange but Great... Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

heard friends talking of this place and how they raved about their tour it so I went and what a visit, It has so much information on Dublin, its history and the famous people that buried there. The Guide was great and very knowagable, she knew her stuff!!!!!. This place is well worth a visit.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Sean D
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Not at all macabre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Take the tour. It is so worth it. Although a dubliner by birth and having spent many a day wandering through the cemetery I had no idea it was so fascinating. I found out more in one hour than in the last 30 plus years!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Jean S
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tour guide was excellent. Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Tour guide was excellent. Really knew her stuff and was very passionate about what she said. So many interesting facts and people buried there. Museum and interactive info. is great too. Highly recommended.