WINNER WONDERLAND

Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #2 of 486 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Newtownards, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Everyone should take this tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Bridget, our tour guide was just wonderful, charming, informative and just loves her subject. It was a cold day but I was so busy listening to Bridget I forgot about the weather. There is so much history in that cemetery and I learnt so much.

3 Thank Niamh3

Burghausen, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Impressive energy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I like cemetries, but I didn't visit one yet, that made me feel so much "with the dead". Even if I don't know anybody there personally.(Well.... didn't know....)

Dublin, Ireland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Highly enjoyable - even in the rain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The two of us took a tour yesterday with Laura - we couldn't believe it had taken us locals so long to get around to it!

Our guide was pleasant, funny and incredibly well informed on Irish history and its relationship to the cemetery - we felt that we could have asked her anything! After first asking our group if there were any specific places/people in the cemetery that we would like to visit, we set off on a walking tour of the cemetery, seeing almost every figurehead Ireland has to offer. She took the time at each stop to explain the historical, cultural and political relevance of each person, including very interesting modern-day facts on how the sites and anniversaries were being treated by members of the public.

Highly recommended - an educational and enjoyable experience for tourists and locals!

1 Thank Timeoutofmind
ireland
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Did the tour today,didnt think it would be our thing.Have to say we really enjoyed it!Bridget our tour guide was great..i learnt more off her in 2 hours than i did in my history classes in school .We found it very informative would now go back to the cemetary and have a better look around in the summer.

Dublin
“Glasnevin Cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I would highly recommend this tour. I was a bit reluctant initially. Did I really want to spend two hours in a cemetery? I did not feel the time. Bridget, the tour guide was so interesting and informative. We had a light lunch afterwards. All were happy.

Visited January 2013