“Impressive energy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Glasnevin Cemetery Tour in Dublin
Ranked #2 of 483 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Burghausen, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Impressive energy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I like cemetries, but I didn't visit one yet, that made me feel so much "with the dead". Even if I don't know anybody there personally.(Well.... didn't know....)

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Highly enjoyable - even in the rain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The two of us took a tour yesterday with Laura - we couldn't believe it had taken us locals so long to get around to it!

Our guide was pleasant, funny and incredibly well informed on Irish history and its relationship to the cemetery - we felt that we could have asked her anything! After first asking our group if there were any specific places/people in the cemetery that we would like to visit, we set off on a walking tour of the cemetery, seeing almost every figurehead Ireland has to offer. She took the time at each stop to explain the historical, cultural and political relevance of each person, including very interesting modern-day facts on how the sites and anniversaries were being treated by members of the public.

Highly recommended - an educational and enjoyable experience for tourists and locals!

1 Thank Timeoutofmind
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Did the tour today,didnt think it would be our thing.Have to say we really enjoyed it!Bridget our tour guide was great..i learnt more off her in 2 hours than i did in my history classes in school .We found it very informative would now go back to the cemetary and have a better look around in the summer.

“Glasnevin Cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I would highly recommend this tour. I was a bit reluctant initially. Did I really want to spend two hours in a cemetery? I did not feel the time. Bridget, the tour guide was so interesting and informative. We had a light lunch afterwards. All were happy.

Visited January 2013
Kerry Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Here the dead are brought back to glorious life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Having had it on my list of places to see for a long time, it was with relief that I was finally there that I entered Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum on a cold Sunday in January. And what a delight awaited us - a fantastic museum that was interesting and accessible, anticipating the interest levels of the different people that might visit and how much they might want to read or view. The history of the cemetery itself is presented through video, artefacts, sound and images and gives a great introduction to visitors to the multi-cultural and all-embracing nature of this unique all-denominational burial grounds. Along with those of some fame and none, are some of the best known names in Irish history. The flick of a touch screen allows you read more about these while the majority of a floor is - rightly - given over to detailing the life of the Liberator, Daniel O'Connell, who was a man of huge international importance - something I had forgotten despite being a fellow Kerry person! He was the founder of the cemetery, among many other things, and his life's work and colour is presented in a very engaging way. People can also get details on family members that might be buried in Glasnevin and the ticket in entitles you to a discount on that search. When we were all historied out we headed for the Tower Cafe for refreshments which were fine - nothing too exciting despite the many cookery books that were strategically placed around the place - a bit more innovation here would be welcome.
There are guided tours during the day of the cemetery itself which is a fabulous place - a garden and home for the dead - and the one I joined was full of information and humour - a good mix for those of us still on this side of the great divide.

Visited January 2013