“Engaging and Educational”

City Sightseeing Dublin Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #4 of 551 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I really enjoyed this tour. Our guide was a young guy called Neill. He was very engaging, clear and interesting. The information was accessible without being dumbed down, as I have experienced in many history tours. I thought it was a shame that I didn't have Neil for Irish history in my school years because never have the rebellion and wars been so interesting. And a respect was maintained for those buried there and their families who mourn there.

The museum is beautiful with excellent displays. The information is again accessible while informative and wonderfully presented.

The staff were all friendly and helpful.

One of the best museums I have ever attending. I was wonderfully surprised by my visit here.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,657)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Century old tombstones, very interesting to walk through and read whats on the tombstones and see how old people were when they died.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our hour-long tour was conducted brilliantly by an eloquent and knowledgeable guide, clearly passionate about Irish history. On a freezing cold afternoon, with a drops of rain too, this could have been a very gloomy experience, but the quality of the tour made the event memorable for all the right reasons.

If you don't know O'Connell from Parnell or Collins, this must be the best place in Dublin to get an overview of the last 200 years of Irish history, including stories of many of the individuals who shaped that history. And surely no trip to Glanevin would be complete without a drink in the 'Gravediggers', otherwise known as John Kavanagh's pub on the edge of the cemetery.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

First the museum: Very attractive building - very modern design made up of glass/chrome and full of light. Downstairs was the opposite as it had dark displays which created a different atmosphere altogether. The glass cabinet made up of lots of little windows each containing the name and age of a person buried there with a few momentoes to represent their lives was really poignant. The graveyard was initially initiated to allow anyone of any demonination to be buried there and as a result has many religions represented. The display which explained each relgions beliefs on death and the afterlife was really interesting and informative.

The outside tour lasted about 90 minutes which was so interesting it passed in a flash. We went inside the crypt of Daniel O'Connell as well as visiting about a dozen other prolific figures from Irish political history. For anyone who has no knowledge of Irish history this is the place to learn it.

While I did find this tour really interesting and would highly recommend it I would also like to see a different type of tour offered which highlights some of the other people who are buried there. Perhaps an alternative could be offered which discusses some of the stories related to social history? There are enough people buried there to chose from so I'm sure it could be done. I would definitely go back again if there was a different tour on offer.

We took at taxi from the centre of Dublin (14 euros) but it is on the bus route. Allow 3-4 hours as there is a lot to see inside as well

Lastly, the cafe: We only had drinks and cake but they were lovely

1  Thank PAULENEHighPeakUk
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had to visit the cemetery for research purposes, but even after I found the information I needed, I spent hours wandering through the cemetery. It is full of history, and our tour guide was excellent. Some of the greatest known Irish people are buried here, not to mention an amazing burial place for Daniel O Connell.

Will definitely return.