“Very Educational, Amazing Irish History”

Glasnevin Cemetery Museum
City Sightseeing Dublin Hop-on Hop-off Tour
Ranked #3 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum are both the guardians and storytellers for over 1.5 million people. From the ordinary to the truly extraordinary, these people helped shape the Ireland of today. We want to share their stories and times with you through tours of the cemetery, a visit to the museum or through a genealogy search for your family history. We are a not-for-profit organisation and all proceeds are used to sustain and improve our cemeteries to ensure they are places of beauty, interest and intrigue.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 28, 2012

As an American student, I was a little embarrassed to admit that I had no background on Irish history. But, my tour guide was wonderful. She explained everything, and made the cemetery come alive (no pun intended). It's a bit pricy, but worth it - such an interesting tour, and one of the most impressive cemeteries I have ever been to.

2  Thank Anna K

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our tour guide (Bridget) knew her stuff as she was able to answer questions and divert from the set wording. We all stayed under umbrellas despite the pouring rain to hear the stories. Best to quickly do the museum first before the tour if possible

5  Thank Paros81
Reviewed December 19, 2012

As far as cemetaries go, this is a good one.
It is big, it is not too far away, and there are some really cool graves/memorials. You can go on a tour which I have heard is fantastic, but didn't go on myself. It may help if you know a few famous irish people beforehand, or at least have an interest in hearing about them.
There is a cute little cafe, that is slightly expensive as expected.

1  Thank TMul127
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Group of us went on the tour - it was really interesting and enjoyable. Highly recommend it. The museum is a bit of a let down and very dark but as it was part of the package worthwhile spending a bit of time there too. Staff very helpful with any queries.

2  Thank gubnait
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband, daughter & I did a tour of Glasnevin Cemetery yesterday. We were part of a large group and the Guide, Niall was a brilliant source of information who gave us a fascinating insight into the real lives of some great people who shaped Ireland and brought their stories to life.

There is so much to take in, I would do this tour again. I would have love to meet someone like Niall as a teacher when I was in school as this is the kind of person who makes you want to know more! The staff at the visitor centre were extremely helpful, the wealth of information available and the museum is amazing, and the coffee shop is great too! The Coffee Shop even had a
collection basket to support my favourite charity at the moment - Cara's Wish to Walk! I can't believe I live in Dublin and didn't visit this before! Amazing!!!

3  Thank LindaCWhite