“Excellent”

Ranked #21 of 545 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: One of the world's oldest zoos, Dublin Zoo is also modern in design and houses more than 600 animals. It has been redesigned in recent years to be a safe environment for people and the animals with gardens, lakes and natural habitats.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Brought my six year old here yesterday, and the last time I was here was when I was his age so I was as excited as he was.

We had a great day, and was we had bought our tickets online we were able to skip the MASSIVE queue outside, which set the day off to the right start!
We got our maps and hit all areas, took us about 1.5 hours once through the gates but then my son and myself have a short attention span and once we had spotted each animal quickly moved on the the next, that said we a great time and I could see most people gettting a longer time out the day.

It was the anitpathy of the old fashined zoo's we have in our minds with the animals in tiny enclosures, they have tailored areas to live in and the zookeepers themselves are in constant attendance, in the background ableit, the little bits of history of the zoo itself were also quite interesting. All in all - well worth a visit

There are newer reviews for Dublin Zoo

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Drove for just over 2 hours from belfast paid 50 euro for 2 adults 3 children in get in most of the animals could not be seen or I think might have been stuffed because they were that still in there inclosure's .Zebra's',foxes,snakes birds and a lot of other animals were not even in there cages just a total waste of time and money should have waited for belfast zoo to open .Bring your children to library to show them animals in a book because what I seen in dublin zoo they must off been playing a game to see who could keep still the longest of hide and seek.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Took a visit to Dublin Zoo on Good Friday. Thought it would be packed but it wasn't too bad.
There wasn't much of a queue and after we had paid the fee, we were straight into the complex and away.
The zoo is massive and well laid out, and the animals are at good intervals, being kept in appropriate enclosures for their needs. The walk round the zoo was lovely and the weather was bright, if not a little cold.
The zoo has a african Savannah section which i really enjoyed, being able to get close to giraffe's and rhino's.
The zoo has a lot of places to rest and vending machines dotted along the route for a quick drink or snack.
We spent around two hours there, but probably could have dragged the visit out, except I began to get a little bored (not with the zoo, just with the short attention span I tend to have when having to walk for a long time, or take an interest in too many things :-) !). If my wife had had her way we would have spent a lot more time looking at the animals and reading the information attached to them.
Really great place to visit and the animals are well cared for. The zoo is clean and tidy and there are stops for refreshments all along the way.
There were a lot of families there and the kids all seemed to being enjoying their time there, brought back memories of the excitement of visiting Belfast zoo when I was a boy.
Nice relaxing day out - great for a stroll with interesting animals thrown in!

1  Thank Stevie B
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great fresh zoo housing lots of animals, including my fav...the snow leopards. The animal enclosures were some of the best I have seen in a zoo....very large, thoughtful and well maintained. The whole zoo was clean and fresh, with great landscaping.

Only downside was the crowds, but it was Easter bank holiday weekend. Also the idiots who insist on banging on the glass because the animals 'don't do much!' (They should take a look in the mirror) Meerkat cafe could do with more staff to clear tables, but only what you would expect from a zoo cafe really.

Overall - defo recommend to everyone

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to go for a day out or a morning. We went on Saturday 30th march with our daughter son and granddaughter. What a wonderful place. We hadn't been since our chasten we're small and how it has changed. For the better I must add. It's not cages anymore but the animals roam around behind high fences. We spent a very pleasant four hours walking around. Our granddaughter is one year and ten months and she enjoyed it making all the animal sounds. We had lunch there and the soup was lovely. Piping hot and price wise much the same as anywhere else. The zoo and the shops and restaurant and toilets were very clean staff very friendly and helpful. I would recommend a day out in the zoo to all. What a wonderful experience. I look forward to my next visit