“very impressive church”

Ranked #29 of 530 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Christ Church Cathedral is one of Dublin's oldest buildings, a leading visitor attraction and a place of pilgrimage for almost 1,000 years. Famous for its breathtaking beauty, magnificent architectural features and wonderful floor tiles, Christ Church is also popular as a venue and is host to many high profile concerts throughout the year. It is home to the tomb of Strongbow, leader of the Normans, who captured Dublin in 1170. The Medieval Crypt, one of the largest in Britain and Ireland, extends under the entire Cathedral and contains The Mummified cat and rat, trapped in the organ in the 1860s. Guided tours, including the belfry, available up to five times a day Monday to Saturday.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“very impressive church”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Christ Church looks lovely from the outside. I went in for the tour which is down in the crypt. It was very interesting. There was a film of the history of the building.

Visited June 2012

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting.”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I'm not really into churches and the like however the underground crypt kept my attention. There is also a cute little cafe underground as well.

Visited November 2012
Adelaide, Australia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“candlelight service”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to a sung church service. It was quite different to the ones I have been to back home but this may be a denominational thing. I was a bit lost about where to sit etc but a kindly older gentleman helped me out.

It was dark by the time I got there, so didn't get to do much of the touristy stuff eg explore the grounds. Apparently there are also tours, and crypts etc. If I had been able to do these may have got an even better score.

I did get to see the inside, and read the monuments erected but the rich and famous of Dublin's past

Visited December 2012
Lesley-Anne C, Education Officer at Christ Church Cathedral, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hi there,
Judging by the date of your review I'm assuming you came along to one of our annual carol services - I hope you enjoyed it, it's a very special time in the church calendar and our excellent choir are always worth hearing at that time of the year (or any time of the year, come to think of it!)
Alexandria, Virginia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Heart of the City - Cool Crypts!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I especially enjoyed this one. It is awesomely creepy in the crypt, and has a spooky museum quality about it. There are some neat displays that really capture your attention. It is expensive, yes, but we had the Dublin pass, so this is a not-to-miss. You can even eat in the crypt at the little cafe. The costumes from the Tudors show were there then too!

Visited November 2012
Lesley-Anne C, Education Officer at Christ Church Cathedral, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi there,
I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to the cathedral. The Dublin Pass is a great investment to make when visiting the city and its attractions - come back and see us again soon!
New York
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Waste of 6 euros”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Way too expensive. It's small, albeit pretty inside. Not much to marvel at. It was much nicer looking at from the outside. The staff are NOT pleasant, which was a noted difference from everywhere else in Dublin I went. Not worth a visit inside.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank stevinazo
Hi there,
Thanks for your review. Sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to the cathedral. We think the small admission fee compares very favourably with the rates charged by other comparable attractions in the area, but I suppose people find different things to marvel at and I'm sorry you didn't find it in Christ Church - did you remember to visit the crypt and treasury exhibition? I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with the level of customer service in the cathedral. If you have a specific complaint I would advise you to contact us via our website to see if we can come to some sort of solution.