“I must have stayed at a different place”
Review of Ariel House

Ariel House
Ranked #4 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 29, 2013

If you like old, creaky, funky, accommodations, this one is for you. After staying at several of Irelands best B&B's, this place was a real disappointment. Thank goodness Dublin is full of fun and we only needed the room to lay our weary heads.

First, the staff, while not rude, were not as friendly as we expected. More like indifferent American service as opposed to the warm and friendly Irish we became accustomed to. Second, the facility was very, very aged. The furniture in the sitting room was very worn out and needed to be replaced. Not very inviting to the point of us not really wanting to sit down. Our room was filled with old, worn out furniture, creaky floor boards and the bed was uncomfortable and small. A double bed for two adults. The bathroom was cramped and I have never seen a shower set up like this one. Finally, don't stay here if you can't walk up numerous steps carrying baggage. The staff helped us with our bags, which was appreciated, but it was still a chore to lug our bags up 10-15 steps to get to the lobby then another set to get to the second floor.

This place was barely acceptable and didn't really dampen our spirits, but it is not a good value.

2  Thank Panchito7777
Write a ReviewReviews (1,652)

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Quaint, tree lined neighborhood.

Charming rooms, clean, quiet, great service, convenient to metro, good internet, free parking.

Wonderfully delicious breakfast options.

Only negative our room seemed a little small.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We recently traveled to Ireland and booked this B&B based on the excellent Tripadvisor reviews and weren't disappointed. On the day prior to our arrival my wife injured her leg and ended up with a leg cast and crutches. We contacted Ariel House late in the evening and explained we would only be able to stay one night instead of three because of a change in plans to come home early. I was advised that there was no problem cancelling the additional 2 nights and that they would make special arrangements for a ground floor room. Upon arrival they opened a special service door on the ground floor to let my wife avoid stairs and helped us into our room. Then they brought us a complementary tray with two pots of hot tea, cream & sugar, fresh scones, and cookies. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom featured a sink faucet with a single spout for hot & cold water (the first we saw in Ireland) rather than separate hot & cold water faucets. Upon request they made reservations for us to attend an Irish music & dance dinner show that evening and made the taxi arrangements as well. The following morning before departure to the airport they brought 3 trays of food for our breakfast to our room. We would definitely stay here again!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

There were many things I liked about Ariel House, but if I returned to Dublin I would try another place for one reason – the beds were very uncomfortable. We stayed two nights but after only one night both my husband and I were complaining about aching backs. We stayed in 3 B&B’s, a guesthouse and a hotel prior to Ariel House with no problem with the beds. Also they use heavy bedspreads rather than easily washable duvets with covers like most of the other places we stayed. The duvets just seem more hygienic to me.

Beds aside, the room was spacious and comfortable with a decent view of the neighborhood. The furniture was attractive and the ceilings were high. The bath was clean and a good size. We needed to call the front desk to figure out how to work the shower but it worked well once that was sorted.

The breakfast was terrific and I was sorry to only be able to indulge one day. And their crispy bacon really is crispy. Wish I’d know that. I’d started passing on bacon since it is usually not cooked as crisply as I like. Good service, a varied and high quality buffet in addition to the entrée menu was accompanied by delicious coffee. The breakfast room is sunny and nicely appointed. There is also a lounge near the entryway. In the afternoons a selection of pastries and coffee is set out. Tea can be ordered.

The front desk was efficient and called a (punctual) cab to take us to the airport. My booking and confirmation emails were promptly answered. The Wifi worked but was slow. Finally, there is a train station very close that will get you into the city center in a few stops, so the location away from the tourist attractions is not an issue.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a great little B&B a block away from the metro station and close to the city center. Built in the 1850's and has a classic Euro feel. I spent a night with my daughter while she was on a fall college break and we were traveling Europe for two weeks, we wish we stayed a couple of more days. Great service, super clean, really nice traditional breakfast, very quiet. Small rooms by US standards but found that to be very typical while traveling in in all of Europe

Room Tip: This place would be great for adult couples or traveling with grown children especially since the le...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the reviews I had read by other guests at the hotel and I wasn't let down. This is a great hotel. Reception were very friendly and made us feel welcome immediately. We arrived quite early and they allowed us to put our bags in a secure room and we headed into the centre.
The room we had was lovely and very clean. It seemed like a King sized bed, had a shower, tv, a couple of chairs and free wi-fi. You can walk into the centre, it is roughly 25 mins, or there is a train station just to the left of the hotel which is very handy, although we didnt notice until the last day. It's only around 2 euros each and takes 5 mins or so.
The breakfast is very nice, with a wide selection and the staff there were also very friendly and helpful. There are many bars that do an Irish Breakfast if you choose to wander, such as Searsons, which you can find if you just walk up Lansdowne Road towards the centre. There are many, many restaurants and bars, so if you want to go for a drink and food, you won't have to look far. If you like a lot of atmosphere and live music, then you have to visit Temple bar.
We also enjoyed the Guinness Storehouse and the Viking Splash tour.
All in all, the stay was fantastic, I will be returning to Dublin and would certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the 1st floor looking out onto the road - large room with no noise
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was our first stop on our 11 day trip across Ireland. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was wonderful, and the breakfast was amazing. I still dream about the pears infused with orange and their banana bread! What a great first impression!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends