“Beware of Garden Rooms”
Review of Ariel House

Ariel House
Ranked #4 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrived in the early morning after a full house the night before. Our rooms were not ready but
2 "garden level" rooms had been vacated early and were offered to us once cleaned. We were told the rooms would be ready for us to look at in 15-20 minutes but it was more like an hour. After navigating a maze of stairs,corridors and doors we found the two rooms. One had a lovely
oriel window overlooking the garden-but had no window covering other than the heavy drapes so there was little privacy without totally blocking out the light. The other was a dark corner room with sheer window coverings and overdrapes! Travelling as two tired jet-lagged couples we opted for these rooms rather than wait until after 2pm for better quarters to become available. My husband and I took the corner room and were told it was totally private and only the gardener had access to the adjacent walkway and that was only on Friday. Imagine my surprise when I lay down for a short nap and looked up to see a utility workman directly outside our window.

The room bore little resemblance to the pictures on the website with the exception of the fabrics used for bedspreads and draperies. The wood furnishings were scratched and nicked and the upholstered furniture had stains and burns. The carpeting, as well, had seen better days.

However, the service was quite attentive and the breakfast offered many ala carte offerings which were were prepared. The wait staff was fairly uncoordinated so requests were slow or non existent in being fulfilled. Frankly, I think the property is shortstaffed as the same person who handled reception also served in the breakfast room, answered the phones, etc. Too much for one person and the gaps in continuity were apparent.

The location is in a residential neighborhood but is close to the Lansdowne DART station which takes you to the City Center in 2 stops.

Caution regarding Garden level rooms as they can be noisy, dark and hidden in a rat maze of
corridors..

Room Tip: Do not accept a Garden level room. They bear no relation to the quality of the professional photos...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fififlies
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My stay at the Ariel House was absolutely delightful. The service was friendly and warm and the receptionist did not blink and eye whilst helping me cart my over 28 kg bag up 2 flights of stairs which I was immensely grateful for so don't let the stairs put you off. The room was charming and cozy with 2 huge windows and an ensuite bathroom with bathtub and a modern shower attached. We had large single beds with a lovely view of Lansdowne Rd. But the best part of Ariel House is the food. Their afternoon tea was of the highest quality as we were served smoked salmon sandwiches, cakes as well as freshly baked scones, clotted cream and jam. Our breakfast which came with the price of the room was amazing. The first time I had heard of a two course breakfast!!!! On top of that, you had a buffet of cereal and fruit together with cakes and danishes. I had the traditional Irish breakfast which was great. My friend who is vegetarian enjoyed her selection immensely. Suffice to say I was so stuffed from breakfast that I skipped lunch. It was definitely the perfect end to my Irish experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank PingJLee
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We chose the Ariel House due to the proximity to Aviva Stadium, but also due to the reviews on Trip Advisor. I never book a hotel till I read Trip Advisor.
First, let me talk about the hotel- it is a charming group of houses convertered to a hotel. Since there are only 30 rooms, the staff and the guests have a lot of interaction. We spent most evenings in the parlor with either a cup of tea or a glass of wine getting to know our other travelers.

The food at Ariel House is outstanding. The breakfast is prepared by all fresh and local ingredients. Breads from a local baker, cheeses from a local cheese makers. You taste the quality. The baked goods are made on site by the staff. I'd have loved to have a lesson on baking scones! Maybe next time. The brown bread is not to be missed! I got the recipe!

Now onto the staff. They are the real reason to come to the Ariel House. Diedra leads a staff of hard working, very friendly staff. Jessica, Jana, Eoin, and others went out of their way to fix you a cup of tea, give you directions, and make sure you were comfortable. I was impressed that some of the other guests have been coming to Ariel House for years.

I'm not sure when we will get the opportunity to return to Ireland, but when we do, we will return to Ariel House.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Cathy C
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I'm actually attempting to not be too effusive about this place, but it's difficult.
We actually stayed on two separate nights at Ariel House during our holiday in Ireland.
I initially chose this B & B because of its impressive TA reviews.
They have the best people here, starting with Deidre who is the hospitality maven.

I was so impressed with Egle, she helped me install the Vodaphone Sim card for Ireland.
BTW, if you want to check in with the US by phone this is an inexpensive option at only 20 euros It worked flawlessly. Egle is a charming and very helpful person, but so is Jana, who was so willing to share, and has an amazing smile.
Owen was stellar also, he left his post at the front desk to bring my heavy golf bag up the front stairs.

The breakfast room employees are also very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed speaking with Ewa, and several others on the wait staff.
The breakfast is impressive.
There's fruits and all sorts of cereals, and juices to start.
Then they give you an extensive menu to select from. My son ordered several entrees and enjoyed them all. My nephews, who were not staying at this property were offered breakfast. The staff even prepaired a to go bag with coffee and breads.
The cook at the Ariel House is supurb. She made some of the best scrambled eggs I've ever had.
You can linger over breakfast if you wish, they provide copies of the local newspaper.
Ariel House has a great Tea Time from about four PM on. There are many different types of tea,
along with a selection of baked cakes and cookies.
To work off some of the extra pounds you might acquire, Ariel House provides access to a nearby fitness club.
My first room was very large with a queen size fourposter bed. All the furniture is antique from a period half a century ago. This ambiance transports you to that bygone era.
They provide at least 8 bath towels, and face towels, along with enough shampoo and shower gel to last several weeks.
Ariel house has a prime location in the most desireable suburb of Ballsbridge. The DART train is a short walk away as are several bus lines, and taxis are all around this area. Aviva Stadium is in their back yard literaly, if you're in for a match.
This is in Dublin 4 a very quiet yet very close location.
My only concern was the Internet service. It seemed to knock off every hour and had to be restarted.
But, we were so busy traveling in and around Dublin, this was a minor issue.
Deirdre runs a very impressive property and I will call her upon our return to Dublin. Hopefully not everyone will check out Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: I had read on TA that some rooms were dark and uncomfortable. I stayed in two very bright rooms. I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank bobemac
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We got a last minute booking at Ariel House after securing tickets to the sold out Navy/Notre Dame Emerald Isle Classic last weekend. The city hotels were fully booked and we didn't even know how perfect this lovely B&B would actually be. The staff was fantastic. By Friday night the place was full of Americans, supporters of both teams and the atmosphere couldn't have been more friendly. The staff even arranged to help "tailgate" something not done at all in Ireland, but, they got into the spirit. Breakfast both mornings was fantastic. It was less than a block from the stadium & the dart. You could catch a bus on the corner & walk to everything from great pubs to a Cuban or Italian resturant. Ballsbridge is a lovely area to just walk & see the fine victorian homes, If you are driving, their secure carpark is a must. No doubt that on our next trip to Dublin Ariel House is where we will once again stay :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MckennafromKerry
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at Ariel House for 2 nights, and I wished we could have stayed longer because this place is truly wonderful. The best thing about it is the breakfast...everything is perfectly prepared,...the pancakes with bacon and maple syrup are particularly good! The rooms are nicely decorated and we had enough space for us and a cot for our baby. Deirdre was very helpful...we had a problem with our sat nav., I asked for her help and a phonecall later we were able to go to someone who could help us sort out the problem. If we had to be in Dublin again, we would not waste time looking for a place to stay, we would definitely return to Ariel House!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine V
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I recently stayed in Ariel House on a weekend away to Dublin. The b&b is very welcoming and in a great location next to the Dart Station (2 stops to Pearce Street). We were greeted by a lovely lady at reception (manager/owner?), who informed us that our room was not yet ready as they were fully booked the night before, but let us wait in the tea room with some scrumptious fresh scones. The hotel is very nice and in a convenient location that is also away from the rabble and very quiet at night. We stayed in a "superior twin". It was a lovely, extremely clean room with comfty beds and a lovely high ceiling. The only downside would be that the room gets awfully hot at night and that there is no iron. I read the rave reviews about the breakfast before, but it wasn't that great for an Irish breakfast. However, the staff were very friendly and helpful. If I were to go to Dublin again, I would definitely stay at the Ariel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends