“Great location, some major issues”
Review of Drury Court Hotel

Drury Court Hotel
Ranked #22 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We are a couple in our 30s who spent 2 nights here at the start of our 7-day Ireland driving trip. Their computers were down when we arrived, and we weren't able to check in for HOURS. We were exhausted and grumpy, so we (admittedly) didn't get off to the best start with this hotel. Front desk was slightly apologetic, but seemed more concerned with fixing their issue than accommodating us. Our room could have made up for it...except it didn't. It was dark and a little shabby, with an unappealing view of another building's window. Pros of this hotel: its convenient location. Cons: almost everything else! This hotel was a good deal, but there must be better options out there.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BennyBuddy
David C, General Manager at Drury Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent experience with here in the heart of the city. I am sorry that we couldn’t accommodate your request for a room immediately, however, as advised upon booking – check-in time is 3pm. We do, where possible, accommodate guests’ requests for an early check-in, however, this may not be possible given the room type. I’m not aware of any recent issues with our computer system but will investigate further. You are indeed right that it would be Front Desk’s immediate priority because they cannot check you in until that particular problem is solved. Your comments in relation to being grumpy and exhausted are not necessary as we are here to serve, I only hope that it did not skew your overall experience of us.
I was pleased to learn that you felt it was a good deal and conveniently located. Unfortunately being located in the heart of Dublin’s cultural quarter, and like other centrally located hotels, we do overlook other buildings as this is beyond our control.
Thank you again for taking the time to make us aware your experience and please rest assured that I have passed your comments to our team.
David Cahill.
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I have just spent 3 nights in this centrally located hotel. We had a quiet and comfortable room at the back of the hotel, which was more than adequate for our needs. It was very clean and had a tea/coffee maker which, for us, is essential. The breakfast served in the adjacent bar was very good and substantial. The scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was almost a meal in itself. The staff throughout the hotel and bar areas were always smiling and eager to help and please. Nothing was too much trouble for them. So, overall, a very pleasant experience, and a hotel we would use again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are much quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewHT
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, one starting our journey, the other 7 days later. We had no problems with noise (did request quiet room though). Breakfast was included in the price and was more than passable. The staff are very helpful and friendly especially with driving directions to get out of Dublin. Rooms are clean and comfortable but no mini bar. Hotel is close to Marble Bar and lovely restaurants and shops.
Tip -There is a superb wine bar for a nightcap or meal, a few streets down, called www.olesyaswinebar.com, with a large selection of wines.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room at back .
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank L B
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights in late September 2012 with several family members, totaling 3 different rooms. This hotel is in a FANTASTIC location - just a few minutes' walk from the Cathedrals in one direction and Grafton Street in the other. It really couldn't be more conveniently located. Front desk staff are friendly and helpful; they were more than helpful when booking a taxi for a larger group to the airport. Our room was very clean and tidy, and surprisingly spacious compared to other European city hotels I have stayed in. We booked a double room and were surprised to find it actually had a double AND a twin bed, which could be helpful for families staying together. Beds were very comfortable and linens were clean.. Spent an hour or 2 at the hotel bar on a Saturday night as well. I'm used to dim, scarcely-populated hotel bars. BiaBar was very busy and lively on a Saturday night, which was a pleasant surprise... until we tried to go to sleep.

This is where the flaws come in. Our room was NOISY! Even with the windows closed and on the 3rd floor! I think our room was right over the outside door to the bar, which was open since the weather was unseasonably warm. We heard bass thumping until the wee hours, and then people yelling outside. Other people we traveled with didn't have as much trouble with the noise since our rooms were scattered throughout the hotel. Sunday night was less noisy than Saturday, granted, but it would be worth asking for a room in the back of the hotel when booking if you're a light sleeper. One other complaint would be that our shower was awful; it felt like standing in a sprinkler. Not a deal-breaker by any means, but something to think about.

Overall, the location of this hotel makes up for any inconveniences. I'd stay here again if I make it back to Dublin.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms toward the back of the hotel to avoid bar noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NurseJamie
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I had read many previous reviews of the Drury Court Hotel that focused on noise issues, so I contacted them in advance via email to request a room in the back of the hotel, on a higher floor. They honored my request, we were in room 407 which was very quiet and secluded from street noise. Except for one night when there was an extremely loud party going on until 3 AM (!!) which I suspect was due to the All-Irish Hurling Championship held in Dublin earlier that day. Some rowdy Kilkenny fans celebrating :-)

We arrived very early on a Saturday morning from our trans-Atlantic flight and while we had also requested an early check-in, they were unable to help us out due to the hotel being completely booked the night before. However, they let us use a bathroom to clean up a bit and stored our luggage. Once our room was ready, check-in was efficient and fast. We found the front desk staff to be knowledgable and friendly throughout our 5-night stay. For example, they made arrangements for a cab to take us to the airport and negotiated the fee (25 euros) in advance.

We loved the location of the Drury Court, you can literally walk to everything Dublin has to offer from there. Sight-seeing, shopping, pub crawling are all on your doorstep! We booked the hotel via United Airlines (which ended up going through Expedia) and our rate was ~ 100 euros per night (it was more on Saturday and Sunday, less during the week.) The rate included free WiFi which we used every day with no issues.

I knew in advance that the hotel only stocked liquid soap (in shower and over sink), no shampoo, no bar soap, etc. That is common in Germany, for example but I was surprised to see this in Ireland. The hotel told me that this was a relatively new policy due to prevention of allergic reactions. Hmmm, not sure what to think about that response. In any case, I was well-prepared with my own shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion, and bar soap from home (in 3 oz containers, of course so I didn't have to check luggage on my flight!)

The room and bathroom were spotless throughout our stay. We had plenty of storage space and the bed/pillows were quite comfortable. During the day,we would leave our window open for fresh air, which was a nice option you don't get in the US very often. On our last day, the hotel was in the process of replacing the older TVs with new flat screen TVs. The new picture was great, although you still don't have access to many channels. But since we were rarely in our room anyway, that was not an issue for us. One thing that bothered us, there was no clock in the room.

The hotel does have a restaurant called the Bia Bar. We ate breakfast there on our first day and did stop there a few times to bring a drink up to our room while we were dressing for dinner, etc. But with so many great places nearby, it's good to explore other options.

Some tips, if you go left out of the hotel, at the next intersection, there is a great little deli/coffee shop called Snax in the City on Aungier St. For 5.90 euros each day, we'd get a large coffee, a diet coke, and a nice big bacon and tomato sandwich on brown bread (which we would split.) The young couple in there were so friendly and nice.

Right next to that is an upscale restaurant called Darwin's. We had an excellent meal there, with both of us getting the pre-theater fixed price menu. Yes, it was a bit pricey, but we thought it was excellent value given the quality of the food and service.

To the right of the hotel and around the corner, try Sheehan's for a good pub meal. We liked the atmosphere in there, and apparently so do a lot of locals. We also stopped by the Hairy Lemon (directly across from the hotel) a few times for a quick drink on our way back and forth to the hotel. Their cafe seemed to be doing a brisk business, although we did not happen to eat there.

All in all, given the price paid and the great location, we found the Drury Court to meet our expectations. It is a solid 3 star hotel and exactly as advertised. I would certainly stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jtwiz
David C, General Manager at Drury Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent stay with us here, in the heart of Dublin’s Cultural Quarter. I was delighted to learn that your request for a quiet room was honoured and that your check-in experience was “efficient, friendly and knowledgeable”. You are indeed correct in stating that the location is second to none: with all of Dublin’s best offerings a short walk from our front door eg. Trinity College, Dublin Castle and Grafton St – to name but a few.
In relation to booking with a 3rd party if you book directly next time (by phone or email) and mention “Tripadvisor” we can guarantee a 10% discount off prevailing rates with complimentary on-site parking. As previously stated I am currently in the process of upgrading the toiletries to the more traditional offering. I was glad that you enjoyed the new flat screen LED TV which we have installed into all 42 bedrooms – these should match the new compliment trays and guest directories in all of the bedrooms.
I hope that you had an opportunity to try our continental breakfast offering @ €5.95 which includes an array of Italian hams, continental cheese and fresh fruits and cereals while cheekily checking out the competition. All in all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to communicate your feelings in relation to your expectations being met. I will personally endeavour to pass on your positive feedback to all of our team.
Slan Leat,
David Cahill.
General Manager.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent three nights here and would give it a much better rating but the bottm line is that you go to hotel for sleep and our experience was that it was too noisey to get much.

The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to be helpful and as others have said, the location is terrific. The room and beds were fine but there is no air conditioning so we had to leave the window open a bit as it was warm. Unfortunatly the noise outside was really loud from the bar patrons next door smoking outside and we were not there on a weekend. One of the 3 nights was not too bad, but we left feeling exhausted from touring all day and not getting much sleep at night.

So, as I have said, if you are a partier and are up late, a very heavy sleeper or can be guaranteed a room away from the street I would recommemd this hotel.

Room Tip: A room away from the street
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
David C, General Manager at Drury Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent stay, here in the heart of Dublin’s Cultural Quarter. I was particularly pleased to learn of your appreciation of our “friendly staff who go out of their way” which, as you mentioned, is a consistent theme with guest feedback. Also your mention of our “terrific location” is something that guests continually comment on.
Being a city centre hotel we do occasionally experience on-street noise, upon your return I would gladly accommodate a request for a quieter room in the new wing , all of which have individual air-conditioning and temperature control.
Please make sure to mention Tripadvisor to avail of a 10% discount when rebooking directly, either by phone or email. Thank you again.
David Cahill

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were supposed to stay for 4 nights but had to leave after 2 nights of stay. Check in was efficient and flawless. Front staff were helpful and friendly.The only other plus for this hotel is its location from Grafton st and Temple Bar. Other than that it's all downhill.

Our room had new paint and was quite large. The bathroom was very large as compared to other hotels. Room and bathroom were acceptable for cleanliness. However our room didn't have aircond so had to open the windows. As a result we could hear noise from the street, people drinking until the wee hours (Bia bar is underneath the hotel), delivery trucks unloading in the early mornings, cars driving by in the mornings. In short we couldn't get any sleep because we had to open the windows.

Also there was no shampoo but only liquid soap. And there were 2 separate fawcets for hot and cold water - you either use the hot or the cold so either you scald your hand or freeze it to death. Luckily we didn't stay during winter or summer.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel and will definitely not stay there again

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent stay, here in the heart of Dublin’s Cultural Quarter. I was particularly pleased to learn of your appreciation of your efficient and flawless check-in, helpful and friendly staff, newly painted, clean large room and very central location. It’s just a shame that you didn’t mention the noise issue during the duration of your stay as I could have personally accommodated a room move to the rear of the hotel for both a quieter room with individual air-conditioning and temperature control. Being a city centre hotel we do occasionally experience on-street noise, upon your return I would gladly accommodate a request for a quieter room.
In relation to the array of soaps in the bathroom I am in the process of changing these over to the traditional offering and welcome your feedback on this matter.
I was disappointed that your conclusion was not to stay here in the future, especially given the number of compliments you mentioned earlier but, would relish the opportunity to personally oversee your return visit.
David Cahill