“My booking was messed up. Again!!”
Review of Charleville Lodge

Charleville Lodge
Ranked #110 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is the second time I am reviewing this hotel as i felt I had to, as this is the second time they have made this mistake. I had booked a double room for single occupancy over the weekend, I was given a twin room instead. When I went back to reception I was told it was nothing that they can do, as the hotel was fully booked.I had explicitly booked a double room with a doubly bed. She said she could push the bed together and give me a double duvet, this was far from ideal but so late in the day I felt there was no alternative. The room itself was ok, no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, you had to pay for your tea or coffee out at reception which was a bit of a rip off. There was no shower gel just a bar of soap for washing. The breakfast finished very early n the morning, especially for the weekend, 9:30, usually breakfast goes onto 11am at minimum in most hotels at the weekend. The girl at reception was nice and friendly

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank thesphinx23

Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is one charming small hotel. A bit farther from the main attractions than one might expect, but easily accessible by local bus or by walking about 20 minutes. The hotel is a lovely brick structure with iron fence. The rooms are nice and well appointed. There is a common lounge area for guests with fireplaces and comfortable chairs. The dining facility in downstairs with a lovely black and white tile floor. Breakfast at the hotel comes in several versions to suit your tastes or budget. The food was excellent, particularly the full Irish Breakfast. The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to assist you in your travel plans. There are not lifts in the building, so if you have a travel companion that has mobility issues, this might pose a slight problem. There is a lovely large church across the way, which gives the area a nice character to it. SPAR stores and the chemist are nearby as well. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nathan C
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed one night while visiting family in the area and highly recommend it. Very large , well furnished room with both double and single bed although we only paid for double room. Spotlessly clean, well decorated, good quality bed linen & comfortable bed. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great choice for breakfast - fruit, yogurt, cereal, cold meats, cheese & full Irish - all fresh and well presented. Surprisingly convenient for city centre, bus stop nearby but could easily walk to O'Connell street in 10 to 15 mins. It was also very quiet and peaceful. They didn't serve dinner but as its so near city centre this was not a problem.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor at the back of the building and it really was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnGalway_Ireland
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Had a great feeling the moment I walked up the steps of this Victorian Hotel. Lovely friendly staff and an excellent twin room for me and my business colleague. At €20 each for a night it was serious value. Will stay here on my return visit! Says it all really! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nigel S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We only stayed one night. I was travelling alone with my 8 yr old daughter. Location is fab - u can drive to Phoenix Park in minutes. The reception staff are fantastic and so friendly. I rang at 11pm to get wifi password and even at that time they were so helpful. The hotel was noisy - a row was going on in room above us n a baby screamed most of the night.Our room was a bit grubby but yhe beds were spotless although uncomfortable. But despite all this I would return as its good value for money and I felt safe there. Breakfast was good. My daughter cant wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Tricia40
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Had booked with a groupon voucher as a birthday present for a nice romantic getaway for my boyfriend and myself. When I reserved booking had double checked availability for 15th Feb (night after valentines). Voucher included wine, full irish and late check out. Gave voucher as present, following day received call that voucher not valid for date. Explained to staff that present already given. They confirmed that ok as booking been taken we would be accommodated. I did worry that we would get a bad room as a result of this and needless to say we did. Room 20 is directly opposite 24 hour reception, there are no fire doors to reduce noise when people are returning from nite or early morning when people are leaving for flights etc. Therefore was woken at all hrs throughout night. Noise throughout with phone in reception, weird beep that kept going off.Feel very upset as a result had travelled from Galway did not avail of late check out as could not wait to get out and come home. Room 20 should not be rented out unless earplugs are provided. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank reillyoha1
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Charleville Lodge for one night, in a double room with full breakfast that morning. I must say that we were both very pleased with the hospitality and the comfort of the Lodge. The room was perfect, just what we needed. It was quiet also, which allowed us a good nights sleep. We went to the recommended pub/restaurant down the street from the Lodge, and although at first glance, the place seemed only ok, the meal and hospitality were of high standard, we both enjoyed it very much. The breakfast in the morning in the Lodge was more than adequate which filled us up until late that day. I would certainly return to the Lodge again and would recommend any friend to check the place out too. We were more than satisfied with the whole experience and with such competitive prices also- you really could not go wrong.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple