“A little bit of a walk from the Temple Bar area but nice and quiet.”
Review of Waterloo Lodge

Waterloo Lodge
Ranked #21 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great and friendly staff let us check in early. The room was small but clean my only complaint would be that the shower was tiny but not a deal breaker. The B&B was a bit of a walk from the heart of the city but my wife and I like to walk so it didn't bother us. Great place to stay if you are trying to save money. Would have no hesitation to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very friendly bed and breakfast, close to shops, within walking distance of the city centre and on the route of the airport coach. The breakfast was excellent and so were the staff, very friendly and accommodating. The room was not the biggest I have stayed in but extremely comfortable and big enough, the television was, in contrast to other places I have stayed big enough to be able to watch.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The dining room of this B&B was great, as was the food offered. I had a full Irish breakfast each day and enjoyed it and the pleasant surroundings in the dining room. I had the smallest and least expensive room in the B&B, with only enough room to turn around. The bathroom was as small as one on a boat, with a tiny shower with a door that wouldn't close or stay open when I gave up trying to close it. My problem was with the front desk person who got all upset when I brought my cousins in to show them my room. She went on and on about how that was what I got for booking the least expensive room when they were sold out and couldn't offer anything else, even opening a door of an occupied room to show how big the other rooms are. Since I couldn't have one of those, there was no point and my cousins thought she was over the top!

Room Tip: Get any room other than the single on the first floor (really up some stairs).
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Barbara V
waterloo_lodge, General Manager at Waterloo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed out breakfast. Unfortunately because you reserved the economy-single room and because we were fully booked, we could not change your room. We reflect the size of our one small single room in the price we charge. Had we not been booked out, we would have been delighted to move you to a larger room to make your stay in Dublin a more comfortable experience. I do apologies for the inconvenience.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. We had pre-arranged parking which worked well. The reception staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. The building is an old Georgian building, and so, no lift. But there were a lot of renovations to try and make the building work as a B & B. I felt the room was small, but we were not paying a fortune here. It was easy to find, and was 15 minutes form the ferry port. There was a lot of outside noise as expected with it's location. The beds etc were clean and fresh, but the floor of the bathroom could have benefited from a more thorough cleaning. Each room had coffee/tea making facilities. Breakfast was very good. And again, the staff were just terrific.

Room Tip: Probably would be quieter at the back of the house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
waterloo_lodge, Manager at Waterloo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear John R,

Thank you for taking the time to write you comments. We are delighted to read that you were happy with our location, parking and bedrooms. Your comments are not alone good feedback, but of great assistance to future visitors.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in Waterloo Lodge, everything was just perfect. The staff was friendly, the room clean and nice, the breakfast lovely. We really appreciated the off street car park, you can leave your car and take the bus for the city centre (5 mins, the stop right in front of the lodge) or enjoy a 20 mins walk to Grafton street. Thanks again!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Paddy787878,

We are thrilled to read your positive comment and delighted that our hard work is appreciated. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Waterloo Lodge in the future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here in quad room (1 x double + 2 x singles) in June 2013 for one night (concert in the Aviva). Was a bit disappointed they weren't able to give me directions from the DART station on how to get there (I would have thought directions on how to get there from the nearest bus and train station should have been std information available from the Receptionist). Anyway, the Receptionist was very friendly and helpful when we checked in, room was spotless and the bed linen lovely and crisp and white. Room was a bit warm during the night. The breakfast in the morning was beautiful (we got the full irish) and it was every bit as good as you would cook yourself at home - the continental brekkie options looked excellent also. For budget accomodation I would def recommend this place if you just need a nice clean bed with a good brekkie - especially if you are attending an event in the Aviva as it's easy walking distance - max 10 mins walk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kerry-A67,

Thank you for recommending us. It's great to read that you found the room good value and that you were happy with our traditional Irish breakfast, it's a big part of the Waterloo Lodge experience and we are including a new selection of breads soon. I am glad you liked the family room and that you found it comfortable for 4 adults. I want to apologies about the DART information, this is very unusual, it's a question we are asked often, my only explanation is that is was a misunderstanding and for this I apologise.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It is an renovated century-old house, with authentic furniture and very friendly staff, situated a bit aside from main tourist attractions, but in pleasant wlaking distance to it.
Problems which I experienced there were with pulling the luggage on the fourth floor over steep stairway, shower cabin being too small for me to fit inside ;), and the room being quite small in size with no spare space for anything.
Breakfast is nice, but the kitchen is small and staff is limited, so sometimes it takes time to get it.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on lower floors (it was rumored that there was an elevator somethere, but it cannot...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business