“Stay away .......” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Stay away .......”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

This hotel has the worst customer care I have ever come across. The staff , from the moment you arrive want your credit card to cover incidentals, if however you dont have a cc they want a hundred Euro upfront. They will make you sit in reception until your partner goes to an ATM. No tea or coffee making facilities in room. Rooms really dated and mouldy, leaking shower. A charge of 15 Euro for internet access. Terrible service in lobby area, from trying to get your order taken to getting your bill to waiting for your change, as another tripadvisor contributer said they wont let you charge it to your room ,evev though they have your hundred euro for 'incidentals'. And here is the icing on the cake 10 Euro per night to park your car in the hotel car park. They know you have no choice but to do that as it is metered parking everywhere in the Ballsbridge area. Never ever again will I darken the doorstep of this hotel. I wrote an email of complaint to the appropriate member of staff as I had requested her name on checkout, this was promptly ignored, no surprise there then.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank janbIreland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Finnish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

I travel to Dublin regularly, often with colleagues or clients - and we really enjoyed the Herbert Park. The best things I can say are the service and location are great - beautiful, well presented, professional and very efficient staff give the right impression right from the start, but the best thing about this hotel is the Park right outside - it is a gem in the center of Dublin 4. The lobby is bright and airy and OK for business meetings - but its minimalist decor is not 'user-friendly' enough. It could be a great locating if they invested in upgrading the lobby area into something more befitting the beautiful surrounding - more style and comfort would really bring this hotel to the next level. cannot say enough for the member of staff at reception, who was just excellent throughout. Great location, great staff, could be great with upgraded lobby. Needs more atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Antrim, N.Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for two nights during the St Patricks festival in an executive room which we had won as part of a competition. Check in upon arrival was ok and on first impression the hotel looks pretty impressive. However when you get to your "executive room" that impression quickly changes! The first word that springs to my mind is "refurbishment" which is what their executive rooms seem to need. We have stayed in many hotel rooms which weren't even executives and which beat this room hands down. The furniture was dated and wearing, the tv pretty similar, the bath was leaking slightly and there seemed to be a balcony but no way of getting out to it. Secondly we were astonished to realise that they had no tea or coffee making facilities and we didn't even ask as we had read the other reviews. Very disappointing for a hotel in Ireland! There were some nice touches such as complimentary bottled water, newspapers and an umbrella (only in executives and suites). Generally the room was a good size with a king size bed but very hard pillows. We had to ask for other ones. Maid service was good and the maid was helpful but breakfast service was very poor on our first morning. The waitressses seemed very unhappy to see us as we arrived at quarter to ten and when a man came down at 10.03 am he was refused breakfast as he was 3 mins late even though it is a buffet breakfast and there were still plenty of items available. The service was better on the second morning.
Finally what annoyed me the most was that as we were just finished getting ready to depart and about to leave our room at 12.20 pm (only 20 mins after checkout time) we got a phonecall from reception to tell us to get out! I understand that checkout is at 12 but as I said before we have stayed in many hotels and have never been told to leave. They didn't give us a chance!! As grateful as I am to have won this competition I was very disappointed in their level of customer care and even more disappointed at the lack of luxury in the room I was expecting to get. On checkout we weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I will say one thing which is that if you want to go to this hotel just go for dinner. The service and food that we got at dinner time in the lobby area was excellent. Try the steak and pepper sauce! Unfortunately I have to agree with the other reviews that the hotel needs to listen to their customers and meet their needs through providing tea and coffee facilities in all bedrooms and training all of their staff (apart from the bar and cleaning staff) on how to treat their customers so that the customers want to come back again and recommend it to their family and friends as I'm not sure I would be able to.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ElaineP24
Dublin 2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

I'd like to recommend this hotel to anyone going to Dublin on business. Close to everywhere.... Lovely staff..... pity the bar closed so early but I suppose thats not a complaint but more of an inconvenience but we were allowed to sit in the spacious reception area as long as we liked and we did get a cuppan tae......

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

Lovely hotel, next to the RDS where I was working, scandalous check in policy!!!
A credit card or a 100 euro deposit?! is required for check in. my collegue and I tried to check in, my collegue doesn't have a credit card and mine is maxxed out, they would not check us in unless they recieved a 100 euro deposit each or a credit card. Even though the rooms were pre-paid by my work and I assured them I would not be charging to my room, they were adamant about their 'policy' of getting a deposit for extras. I was furious, it was 1030pm on a friday night, I asked if I had no deposit would I be thrown out on the street, which was met with blank looks!! I gave them my maxxed cc eventually which somehow swiped ok.... I think the customer service is zero, the 2 men on the desk were very unhelpful. On hindsight I should have demanded the 198 euro which was paid for the 2 nights to be given to me in cash and then went to Bewleys down the road.
I will be writing to the hotel personally to complain about their poor policy and staff on reception in the hope that they change their policy, as with only a few days before my pay day I certainly wouldn't have had the 100 euro in my account. Also one of my collegues gave her debit card for deposit, which they said would 'freeze' 100 euro for THREE days!!! in her account, how dare they.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Philip H
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2010

Stayed for one night. Room was very small and bathroom dated and in need of fresh wallpaper! Shower great though. No tea or coffee making facilities. Bed ok. Could hear all noise in corridor. Lobby lovely but bar overpriced. Breakfast was tasty with good selection of fruits and cooked food. Have stayed in better value hotels in Dublin. Had notified hotel of friends birthday and no special treat etc given to her...disappointing!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

We spent one night at the Herbert Park Hotel at the beginning of our CIE tour of Ireland. The room was large and comfortable. The triple room had a double and twin bed. We ate two meals there. We had lunch in the bar. Breakfast buffet was in the restaurant. Both meals were very good. We had a very nice dinner at an Indian restaurant just down the street. The only downside to this hotel was the distance to downtown Dublin. Also, Internet access was available but at a high fee.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family