“Confirm your booking before you get there!”
Review of Grafton Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Grafton Guesthouse
Ranked #56 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Four of us went to Dublin from England over bank hol weekend. We arrived on Friday night and went to the sister hotel 'Kelly's' to check in. Were told that The Grafton was overbooked! So we were put up in the penthouse suite at Kellys hotel for our stay. The penthouse was great full of expensive gadgets and very trendy apartment style room. Went out on Saturday and on our return to our horror the staff had moved our things out of the penthouse suite and told us our room at the grafton was now ready and that someone else was staying in the penthouse! We went to the Grafton which was tired and run down, in need of some TLC but beds were clean at least. We were refunded for one night for our troubles. Kellys is much nicer and trendier than Grafton. However Kellys is very noisy until early hours due to being above a pub! Oh by the way, I had even telephoned the night before our stay to confirm our booking!

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Good: The location is very convenient--walking distance to everything you might want to see or do in Central Dublin. The building is beautiful from the outside--a true Georgian gem.

The Bad: There is no one on premise--no reception, no housekeeping nothing. The property is managed by the folks in the Kelly Hotel across the street and, if earlier reviews are to be believed, they have ignored the upkeep in this property. If you have a concern (our safe key was missing) they are not interested in resolving it.

The Ugly: Although I requested a quiet room, ours faced Great George's Street which was very busy until 3 AM on Friday night. Loud traffic, emergency sirens, car alarms and many, many loud drunks.

Room Tip: Get one elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Grafton Guesthouse has no front desk. When we arrived there was no one to greet us and I looked at my confirmation and was reminded we had to go to another guesthouse down the street to check in. Didn't think that was a big deal when we made the reservation, but it really does matter. There's literally NO one on the premises that works there. No service provided other than a room and a breakfast (again down the street).

Room felt like something out of Austin Powers. large yellow and orange 60s style motif with cheap furnishings.... locks on doors are difficult to open so when we weren't struggling to unlock our own door, we had to listen to other guests struggling to open their door. The walls are super thin!!! You hear everything your neighbor is doing... everything, even watching TV at 4 AM. Plus, if you are not on the top floor, you get to listen to the squeaking and creaking floors of guests above you tromping around in the wee hours. (Remember this is Ireland, and guests are in pubs until late.... so plan to stay out later than other guests unless you want to be kept awake by their comings and goings). Negative side to being on top floor, though, is no lift. So pack light!

Although we chose Grafton Guesthouse because we were splurging in other cities during our Ireland vacation and we wanted a more affordable place in the heart of Dublin for site seeing, I'm positive that we could have met those goals and made a MUCH better choice with more research.

The only positive is the great location.

Room Tip: Even rooms in back are noisy!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My email confirmation stated a quiet room on the second floor with wifi. Upon arrival I was placed on the third floor facing the main street with no wifi. Shower was cold, hair dryer worked off and on in 30 second intervals, shower door broken. Was placed in another room the next night at the Kelly Hotel. Can we say stark, but there was wifi. My last nights were in another room back at the Grafton on first floor facing the back of the building. Room was so small. Could not walk around the bed, door to the bathroom could not be opened all the way as it hit the sink and you could hear everything. People walking up the stairs, doors opening, slamming shut, being locked, voices. No elevator so remember in Europe their first floor is our (USA) second floor so....my room on the third floor was really like our fourth floor. Think about that when you are carrying up your luggage after a long flight. A tour company left a message for me at the front desk regarding a tour cancellation for the next day. I never received the message from the front desk until 11 pm that night, waking me up. If I'd gotten the message earlier, I could have made alternate plans. I will say the ONLY positive about this place is its' location. Period.....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Cozy, cheerful room, nice roomy shower, nice decor. Also great breakfast with yummy fruit salad (among other things). Helpful reception too once I managed to figure out how to call them from the hotel. Also great location, loads of stuff to walk to. My room's window faced the air shaft, which may not be scenic but was extremely quiet, so I got the best sleep of my trip here. Also free wireless!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2010

After an exhausting plane ride, my mother and i arrived at the grafton guesthouse by walking and getting slightly lost and irritated. The small sign and having to go to the hotel next door probably only irked us due to sleep deprevation. The room we were situated in had lovely wallpaper and a great bed. The shower and bathroom was spotless, and the location was perfect: just off of the main areas as not to feel insecure. While not getting a good nights' sleep due to the time change and the fact that it was Friday night, the breakfast in the morning made up for all of that. Included with your stay is cold breakfast at "le Guelton". do not miss it! You can order hot breakfast for a price, and it is well worth your while. The option of a half-irish is welcome for us females, and was prepared beautifully. The proprietor of the restaurant was very helpful, and drew a walking tour right onto our map that allowed us to take in sights and see parts of dublin you don't see through the bus tours.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed at Grafton guesthouse for one night, last friday. The room was very nice, especially the bathroom which was new, with a big shower!
There is no elevator, but i was located on the first floor, so it wasn't a big issue.
The reception is located at Kelly's hotel, which is about 20 mt from grafton.
The breakfast is great! It's server in a restaurant nearby.
The staff is really nice.
The only problem, they say it when you book, is the noise, because it's located on a big street, and just around the corner there is a pub, which, by the way, is really nice. I didn't hear a kit of noise but at the check out other guests erre complaining.
The price is right, 84€ per room in the weekend, if you consider the location, just 10 miniera from temple bar.
If I will come back to dublin I would book here again.