“Only 2 bus stops away from shopping, pubs and attractions”
Review of Hampton Hotel

Hampton Hotel
Ranked #24 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
New York City, New York
“Only 2 bus stops away from shopping, pubs and attractions”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The aircoach left us right across the street from the hotel which was key for us. The bus stop is also near hotel and in two stops you can get to Grafton, Trinity college, temple bar and lots of restaurants. We only stayed one night from Sunday to Monday so I can't comment on the noise of the club downstairs however there was live Jazz Music upon our arrival which was nice. The bar/restaurant is a bit pricey so we didn't eat there but having the option was good. Both people we communicated with at the front desk were friendly and informative upon checking in and checking out and they held our luggage for us so we could venture out before our evening flight. The hotel room itself (Hampton Select) was nice, though we found the hallways a bit dark. They also had all you needed in bathroom lotion, shampoo, etc which I didn't find allot throughout my Europe tour. Bed was comfy. Overall I would recommend it again especially for the price which I booked directly through their website. It is walking distance from an excellent Asian Takeout restaurant too. Dublin is a wonderful city.

Room Tip: We chose one level up from their basic room (only about 10 euro more) and it was worth it. Bed was h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Selina10022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
Germersheim, Germany
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights from Friday to Sunday. We got off the airport coach at the bus stop which is conveniently located very near the hotel and were shocked to see that the entire car park was being used for a “summer festival” which included large inflatable games, food stalls and extremely loud music. The entire place including the hotel reception and bar areas were full of people drinking. I must say however that the security staff was very polite and helpful.
When we checked in which took several minutes in the loud reception area which had a constant stream of people with drinks in their hands passing through I advised the receptionist that the party was not mentioned to me despite the fact I had previously emailed with concerns about noise from outside and asked for a quiet room and she informed me that it was a privately booked party and beyond the hotels control. I very much doubt that the hotel had no say in what happened in their own bar and parking area.
When we went up to the room we were impressed. Although the styling is a little garish it was modern, clean and included a nice deep bath tub, huge tv screen, air conditioning, a big LED fireplace and all the amenities you would expect. Unfortunately you could still hear some noise from outside but this issue did stop at around 11pm and we did not have any further problems for the rest of our stay. As we were unable to use the hotels bar area due to the private party which excluded guests we left the hotel for the evening and had a pleasant drink at the Burlington hotel located around a ten minute walk down the road.
On each morning of our stay we ate the full breakfast at the hotel which was very good and reasonably priced.
With the exception of the first night we were very impressed by the hotel and found Margaret on the reception desk to be extremely useful when planning transport and needing directions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Woo360Woo
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed August 25, 2012

First impressions of this hotel were good. Nice rooms and friendly staff. However,while checking in yesterday, we noticed them setting up tables and chairs for a party right outside the hotel. We didn't think anything of it until returning to the hotel around midnight after a long day of seeing the city. The party was right outside the hotel and might as well have been a nightclub, it was so loud. Complaining to the hotel staff accomplished nothing. They just told us it would be over at 3AM. 3AM!!! I am not sure what they were thinking or why they thought having a nightclub set up outside the hotel until 3AM was a good idea. People are paying a lot of money to stay here and sleep at night. The staff we complained to were completely indifferent and offered to do nothing. A fan in the room to buffer the noise would have been something, at least.

I do not recommend this hotel. Obviously, whoever paid them to allow this all night party paid them well, and was more of a priority to the hotel than their paying guests. It is too far away from everything in the city to pull crap like this. Avoid the Hampton Hotel.

Room Tip: Jury's Inn in Galway was a good hotel and solid value. I wish we had stayed at the Jury's I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jcb6263
hamptonhotel, General Manager at Hampton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Please note that while there was an event on in the hotel on the night you stayed with us, any party activities on our patio concluded at 10.30pm, at which point the patio was only used as an outdoor smoking area in accordance with Irish non-smoking legistlation. Furthermore, information that hampton hotel features a nightclub and does not guarantee quiet rooms on nights Vanilla operates was clearly stated on the website you made your reservation through.

We are constantly working on improving our practices and your comments have been passed on to our nightclub security team to review their standards of operation in dealing with our nightclub patrons using our smoking area to minimize noise disturbances for our hotel guests.

Should you return to the hotel in the future, please contact me directly and I will ensure that you are looked after. We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind Regards,
Christiane Foller
Acting General Manager
Bray, Ireland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed one night here recently on a thursday night.The room was "contemporary" in style,small but adequate.
They've a decent room service menu and a large bar downstairs.
There were no noise issues from the street outside despite the room facing it.
I liked the fireplace feature and the 42' flat screen tv has all the channels you need and movies.
Taxis and buses are just outside the door and are plentifull.
A 5 minute walk brings you into Donnybrook vilage,whilst 25 mins in the other direction would have you in st stephens green,
Good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Earthman83
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice. 1st time with 2 young children, 2nd time while attending the Bruce Springsteen concert. On both occasions our allocated rooms were perfect. We ate in the hotel both times and the food was lovely. Service was quick and staff very polite. Lovely outdoor area to sit and have a meal or drink. Great proximity to RDS for concerts. About a 15 min walk will take you to St. Stephen's Green. Has free parking too which is an added bonus when looking for a hotel in Dublin.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CJLV
Scotland
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The room was prety clean (very clean by Dublin, reasonably so by other standards) and spacious. The staff were very helpful and were able to provide all the information I needed regarding buses etc.

I didn't have breakfast, as this wasn't included in the price, instead heading into town to meet friends. However, I did note that there were a number of coffee shops within a minute or so of the hotel.

I had a few fairly minor quibbles with the hotel, but these were very minor. For example, the excellent hairdryer (much better than usual hotel standard) was secured through a drawer (to stop theft). However, this meant that the flex was effectively shortened. I was able to use only when sitting on the floor - not ideal.

There seemed to be a bit of an issue with water pressure on the first night of my stay. I suspect that the hotel was fairly full that night, so suspect that this may have been the reason, as the issue was resolved the following night (without me mentioning it)

I was surprised that there was no minibar in the room and there didn't seem to be an ice machine available to guests.

I had a quick bite to eat, on the day of my arrival. I had soup and a sandwich. The soup was very tasty, but the sandwich was made of cold, cheapest possible, white bread - not great. The menu wasn't great, wouldn't bother eating here again, as there are much better choices nearby.

As seems to be pretty standard, my double bed was two single beds pushed together. I was staying alone, so not an issue, but not ideal for a romantic break.

The hotel is within walking distance from the city centre, but only if you've got sensible shoes! Otherwise, there is a very good bus service. Bus fare, at time of writing, is €1.90. Note that buses accept coins only (and do not give change, but do give credit notes, though I believe the process of reclaiming money is a bit of a hassle).

I would certainly stay in the hotel again, especially if I was able to get as good a deal! Obviously, my comments take into account the bargain price I paid (£54 per night). Perhaps my minor quibbles would have been a bigger deal, if I had paid more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kat537
Houston
Reviewed August 6, 2012

A little out of the way , about a 20 minute walk into main Dublin.
Bus access right outside the hotel.

Wireless Internet was very fast.

Room was clean and comfortable

Staff was helpful.
I would stay again for business in that area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business