“Would not recommend”

Ranked #72 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Galway, Ireland
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel having booked and paid through Travigo we were informed that the hotel had not recived payment so we would have to leave credit card details and effectively pay again. The receptionst said she did not know why the company we booked through which tranpires was a company called Navelor had not paid but suggested they may have gone out of business. As we were rushing to a wedding I did not have time to argure but left my credit card details and was given a room. When I went to check out I asked if I could get a letter to send to Visa outlining what happened and the receptionist said she would give me one. When I went to pay I noticed that she was charging me more than I originall paid although it was a small amout (just over 6 euro) I was annoyed as I was already paying twice for the same room and now she was also charging me what must have been the agent (who had appraently gone bust) commission. I had to ask for a manager to resolve the issue and they agreed to charge me what I originally paid. She also said she was unsure why they were not paid however a quick google search when I got home informed me they had gone bust. I believe the hotel staff could have dealt with this issue in a much better way. Apart from that there was a terrible smell in the corrider where we stayed with industrial humidifiers going constantle., would never go back or recommend

2 Thank Rossie100
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
It is a shame, and I am sure very frustrating, that you suffered from the liquidation of a travel agent. With the current age of the internet there are hundreds of websites and subsidiary sites from where most hotels can be booked. We can only go on the information sent through to us from the relevant travel operator regarding the rate and payment and cannot accept any responsibility for any problems on their side. On the other hand any maintenance work is certainly within our control and I do apologise for any work being carried out on the corridors whilst you were here. We are in the process of a complete upgrade at present and I hope this did not cause any inconvenience.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 kids. We had requested, prior to arrival, a room in one of the upper floors of the hotel. When we arrived we had been allocated a small room in the basement of the hotel. When we went to request a move we were told that all of the family rooms for 2 adults and 2 kids are located in this basement area. The only window looked out onto the air Vents to the underground parking and a wall of stone hoarding. The room got very stuffy at nighttime , however we were afraid to open the windows as we were afraid of mice coming in... The room was very shabby and bare. Breakfast is very average and certainly not worth paying extra for. Will definitely book an alternative hotel in ballsbridge for our next trip. The location is very good

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Canosinim
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and apologise for any inconvenience. Unfortunately, due to the ergonomics of the building many of our family rooms are situated on the lower ground level as they are larger. I do appreciate your comments regarding the room as with the age of the hotel some rooms are a little dated. We have undertaken to address this with an investment to completely refurbish all of our bedrooms. All family rooms will be completed by the end of the year and I hope that you might give us another try in the future so that you can see the difference.
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed August 30, 2013

booked here for one night, the 17th of august as it was the only place i could find to stay at a good price after seeing eminem in slane..rang prior to check in to ask about late check in, lady was very polite and told us its 24 hour check in and its no hassle to arrive late...and that we did, we arrived around 2A.M after the hustle and bustle getting back from the gig...the fella on reception was a gent..(unfortunately they didn't have the room we wanted) instead as a compromise he offered us either a free breakfast but instead we opted for a late check out of 2PM..on top of that he even gave us parking for free which was a bonus...never got the dudes name but i tip my hat to you good sir.. didn't get a chance to try any grub as we had to hit the road when we checked out but overall, room was spotless, nice t.v and the best part was we got a balcony so we could have a fag without stinking out the room...one tip though is throw in a few more towels- three lads after a sweaty gig, the shower was made use of...will stay again!

Room Tip: ask for room with balcony- makes you feel like a king even if it is just for a day!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
It is always nice to hear from somebody who enjoyed their experience and will stay with us again. I am glad that our Night Manager was able to resolve any issues and requests and always great to see somebody praising the service. I hope on your next visit you will be able to spend a little more time relaxing with us and enjoy some of our other facilities.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2013

A majestic old building houses this excellent hotel
Surrounded by lovely grounds , it is a few minutes taxi from the centre of Dublin
We were glad we stayed just away from the centre as it can be constantly noisy right through the night
Bewleys is a haven from this
Great service, top breakfasts & topped off 1 night by an impromptu harp performance near the restaurant
Rooms were quiet & comfortable
Staff were very helpful & good to deal with
Plenty of taxis with a rank across the road
Good local restaurants if you want to walk a few blocks
The bar was nothing special but when in Dublin you are in a smorgasbord of great watering holes so don't waste time at the hotel pub

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Reviewer,
It's great to read that you had so many positive comments and enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that you liked the location as we find it a real advantage to be not too far from the center, but slightly away from the hustle and bustle in the quieter embassy district. Please do visit us again next time you are planning a trip to Dublin.
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you want to feel like you are experiencing Dublin, the Bewley is a great place to stay. The property is excellent and the entire look and feel really add to a visit to Dublin. IT is only a ten minute (with normal traffic) cab ride to city center. Just do not expect quick service, the staff is good and friendly, but nothing is done in a rush.

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive feedback. I am sorry if you felt that any service was slow whilst you were here, I don't know if it was a busy period but am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I hope you will return to us again in the near future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for the first time as the usual hotel we stay in was fully booked. It is a very impressive building, formerly a Masonic school for Orphan girls, dating from the 1880's. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The room was very clean and comfortable. We had room only so didn't actually have the breakfast which was priced a little high I believe. We did have an evening meal in the restaurant and that was particulary good value. We also ate several meals in the bar and they also were good value for money. The hotel is situated quite a way out of the city, if you walked it would probably take just about an hour and although situated on the main road into Dublin was not noisy. However, there is a bus stop directly outside of the hotel and the buses come very regularly. Otherwise, there is a DART station just a couple of minutes across the road, this is a train service direct into the city and unlike the buses you are able to get a return ticket.

Room Tip: Our room looked down at the quadrangle on the front of the hotel and although we could see the main...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
It's a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially pleased to hear that you enjoyed all your dining experiences and found them to be of good value. I hope you will return to us next time you are visiting Dublin and look forward to welcoming you back.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had to go to this hotel because all the others were booked. The hotel itself was completely booked so all they had left for us was a small single bed room for a family of 3. We were given our room key and went up to our room. To our utter surprise, we were given the room key of SOMEONE ELSE'S ROOM. Luckily, no one was in the room at the time. After going back down to the reception, we were given the correct room key. They had no extra beds so one of us was forced to sleep on the floor. They did not have extra blankets either. It was not very enjoyable, and I will not go back to Bewley's given the chance.

2 Thank MLGM2
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to the hotel. I presume from your comments that the city was very busy on the night in question with many hotels fully booked and no family rooms available with ourselves when you enquired. Unfortunately we do not stock extra movable beds as we already have fixed sofa beds in our family rooms that have the space to accommodate them. In terms of being given the incorrect room number this is certainly not common place or an acceptable standard. We are not always perfect and do make mistakes from time to time and this would have been human error on the part of the receptionist. I do sincerely apologise for this and hope it did not cause you too much inconvenience.