“Convienient to US EMBASSY”

Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Sligo, Ireland
“Convienient to US EMBASSY”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed for a one night stopover for visiting the US embassy. The reason i am giving 5 star is because they set aside a limited amount of smoking rooms and i got one which is not guaranteed to get. But one was availableband I'm was delighted with that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JamesCreasey, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such great feedback. However I must be honest and inform you that under our current refurbishment programme we are phasing out our smoking rooms. I'm afraid that you are in a minority and there just isn't enough demand for us to keep them. Whilst we may not be able to give you a smoking room on your next visit I do hope this won't put you off and you'll return for another great stay.
Many thanks,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Holywood, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

First impressions were good. The building is lovely and the staff at check in were friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and well appointed. Unfortunately it was downhill from there on. We thought that our rate had included breakfast but were informed very rudely by the staff at breakfast that it did not. They didn't offer that we could purchase breakfast or inform us of the breakfast options that were available. Had to wait for ages on the elevators because they were being used by housekeeping staff. The staff were slouched up against the wall at the entrance to the lift so you had to squeeze past them and one stood with her back to the door pressing the close door button so that guests couldn't even get in. Went to the brasserie for a pizza and the area was dirty although at least the staff here was pleasant. Our room was cleaned reasonably well but the staff left dirty glasses and didn't change the toilet roll. On the whole the staff made us feel that we were an inconvenience that they had to tolerate. Worst treatment I have ever experienced from staff in a hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Samantha C
Dear Reviewer,
I do apologise that you found some of the staff rude and your stay disappointing. I am not sure how you booked but we do offer both room only and Bed & Breakfast rates as some people wish to keep the cost down and are not able to avail of our breakfast. I will certainly pass on your comments to the Restaurant Manager and Accommodation Manager and hope this would not put you off returning to us. I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Ramelton, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stay here frequently as it is very convenient for me. It is going through refurbishment at the moment and can be a bit noisy at times. Although I am not a smoker, it is one of the few places that I am aware of that has smoking rooms. Make sure that you don't get one by mistake! Most of the staff are friendly though there are a few grumpy ones.

Room Tip: Rooms on floor 4 and upwards seem better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
I am so pleased to hear that you keep returning and enjoy your time with us. I do apologise if the refurbishment work has caused you any inconvenience, it is a painful process but is necessary to improve our product and re-vamp all of our bedrooms. In terms of the smoking rooms these are being phased out during the upgrade which is due to be finished early in the new year. I hope you will continue to visit us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed in Bewleys Ballsbridge, horse show week. Rooms doubled in price, no breakfast included considering you are paying €169 per night. The room we stayed in had no storage area, no draws for clothing which had to be stored on the floor, wardrobe only big enough to hang 5 items of clothing. All hotel information booklets that include contact/ emergency numbers,fire evacuation etc, were all missing from rooms. No facecloths, shower caps supplied. A lot of disturbance at night, very difficult to get a goods night sleep. All the above was pointed out to the GM.. But nothing was done about it. When leaving room on checkout day I passed chamber maids trolley, filled with everything that was missing from rooms... I think it's an utter disgrace the way we were treated. And to top it of, €10 per night parking after staying their for 6 nights, GM didn't even waiver that.. Rip off.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Reviewer,
I would be more than happy to discuss this with you again and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I did go through these issues with you as I do not agree with all of them, and as a gesture of goodwill did accommodate you for a €300 dinner in the restaurant. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to talk through your issues any further.
Ireland
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Read some good reviews on this hotel and was really disappointed with my stay. From check in to check out, everything was below par. The public areas are dated and grubby, so I was hoping for better in my room. However, having thrown my bag down, i discovered 2-3 hairs on the bed - went to the bathroom to find one more on the toilet. Safe was not working, no room serive menu available, dirty spoons etc etc etc. have stayed at bewleys dublin airport and cannot fault it! Ballsbridge have alot to think about considering how long it is open.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank eurotrav09
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. We would be very proud of our housekeeping standards and receive very few negative comments in this regard. I would be more than happy to discuss the issues with you in more detail and hope I can persuade you to stay with us again.
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Decent price for a one-night stay in Dublin - it's in a nice area of the city and we got a decent-sized room which was comfortable/clean. Although NB - residents pay for car parking.

We decided to eat in the hotel and the food was very good with friendly service.

Now the down side...

The waiter asked for my room number after the meal and we then retired for the night. I was awoken by the restaurant later asking me to come down and settle the bill! Even though I was asked for my room number at the end of the meal and so assumed we could just settle when we checked out the next day, I was told I was required to come down and pay for the food there and then. So, despite liking the hotel and the service, our city-break was somewhat spoilt by the interrupted sleep! I still don't understand why I couldn't have just paid for the meal against the room at checkout (which, after all, is what has happened at every other hotel I've ever stayed at!). I'd have given five but for this irritating incident.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
I am glad to hear that overall you did enjoy your hotel experience and found the food and service good and friendly. I am not sure exactly where the confusion lay in settling the bill, as we do request payment if a credit card has not been left at reception, but this should be done in the restaurant without disturbing you in your room. I will pass this onto the Food & Beverage Manager and apologise for any inconvenience caused. I do hope this won't put you off returning and you will stay with us again in the near future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

After staying at this venue previously we were disappointed with our recent visit. An unhelpful receptionist, a tired bedroom with a bed that is not designed for an adult to utilise and a dirty bathroom resulted in a disappointing stay. Normally this venue is a pleasure to stay at but on this occasion there was little to be pleased with. Management should have a thorough look at what they offer in contrast to what they charge and invest in staff training along with a redecoration programme. I'm not impressed!

Room Tip: If you want a good room...don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy B
Dear Reviewer,
It is such a shame to read that you were disappointed with your time with us. I can see that you have stayed before and enjoyed the experience so hope you would see this as far from the norm and accept my apologies. In terms of your comments regarding redecoration this is currently in progress with a complete refurbishment of all hotel bedrooms. I hope that you will visit us again and enjoy your stay as you have done previously.