“worst hotel i ever stayed in and im just a ordinary easily pleased man.”
Review of Barry's Hotel

Barry's Hotel
Ranked #135 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 11, 2014

arrived at barrys hotel on 7th march and got checked into room.mate was to get a shower before we were goin out.no warm water and no pressure in shower either.got another room then after some arguments with guy on reception.this time the base of the shower was overflowing all over the bathroom floor.spoke to reception again and handy man came and started to plunge the plughole.got another room then and the shower was awful as well with hardly and pressure.u would of got wet more in the rain outside.we gave up at this stage and went out to get dinner and drinks in town.then saturday morning went for breakfast and told by receptoin ther wasnt any as repairs on floor was taken place.after more arguments we got a refund for breakfasts and offer to move to another hotel.the hotel was of a bad smell to and damp.i am not 1 for complaning but never been in a worse standard of hotel and wouldnt give it 1 star rating.my mate and i stayed on the saturday nite as we were just in dublin for rugby match and it was just somewere to sleep that saturday nite in a very basic room.fellow travellers to this hotel YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WARNED AS ITS A HOTEL FROM HELL AND STAFF ARE NO USE TO MAN NOR BEAST AS TOTALLY UNHELPFUL.I WAS GLAD TO OF GOT OUT OF THE PLACE ON SUNDAY 8TH MARCH 2014.

Room Tip: never book this hotel as its a dundering in place.out dated .decor terrible.small bathrooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stephen B

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The good news was that the nightclub, lap-dancing club and casino were all closed down for refurbishment, as was the bar. So sleeping was only made difficult by the sound of the water pipes resonating every time someone turned off a tap. Also, the bedlinen was very clean and the rooms had recently been decorated.

The bad news was that the wi-fi did not work in the rooms, the television did not work, the bedside lamps may have worked but lacked bulbs and there was no kettle. The shower cubicle was of a size better suited to a small boat or mini- camper van.

A friendly receptionist lent me 'the kettle' to make herb tea one evening, but the following evening another receptionist refused, saying that tea and coffee facilities were not included in the room price. I pointed out that business would improve with such simple things included, but he disagreed.

Then, as my colleague and I went to go upstairs to our separate rooms, the receptionist called up to say that my colleague had only paid for one person in his room and could not take me up. The fact that Barry's may see itself as a venue for prostitution, and wish to maximise its take on the trade, does not justify insulting guests. I was extremely offended, and, while all other staff were very nice, this particular incident has shaped my view of the place.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Fi O
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed a few nights. The hotel is cheap and in city center, that's was very ideal. The beds were comfy enough. The hotel and especially the bathroom were a bit smelly.. Not very nice. And the other thing is that the wifi doesn't work... :( And the fact that you have to carry your suitcases on many steps is a bit of hard work.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the second floor, many steps and doors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I booked a few nights in Barry’s as it was the cheapest place in town and I was pleasantly surprised by it all. Yes it’s a little bit run down and the stairs between the first and second floor a bit of maze and health hazard, especially if you’re knees aren’t in the best of shape. But the rooms themselves are big, with plenty of space to move about in. To be honest, the first room I was in was badly finished off. As in the painters didn’t even bother painting the walls behind the bed board and the mains leading to the power point were exposed for about a foot and a half.
But the other rooms I slept in were a lot nicer than that.
I always slept well here and there was none of the noise you can get in hostels. Although sometimes passing yobs just had to shout their mouths off from the streets below, but you can hardly blame Barry’s for that. It was the weekend and that is to be expected.
The first morning I was here, I went into the old bar which is now being converted into a dining room to get some breakfast. On my way, I had to pass reception and when I first saw the owner. She seemed a bit out of it while talking to an Eastern European worker and her face was plastered with make up. I asked myself if I had stayed in a hotel or a brothel. Anyway, I went inside and got my buffet breakfast which had a surprising amount of choice. They even serve porridge here. I have to say it was great value, 5€ got me the afore mentioned porridge, coffee, yoghurts, toast and spreads and some fruit from the bowl and some orange juice. There were all kinds of cereals too as well as sunflower seeds and various other seeds and nuts. Quite a spread for €5 I think you’ll agree.
It’s not the salubrious hotel in Dublin. Not by a long shot. But for €40 a night, you’d be hard pressed to find better value. In fact, unless you’re prepared to spend the night in the Russell Court Hotel with its thumping nightclub bass pounding the walls, you won’t a better deal in Dublin. The staff are nice and friendly and a lot nice than other high market hotels.
I think I’d go so far as to say Barry’s is one of Dublin’s best kept secrets.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Bed as comfy. Facility as clean. The front desk employee was rude. I told him that the lock on my door was not working. He told me "that was just the way it was." So at anytime someone could have entered my room and stolen all of my belongings. That seems safe...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank OwenRockford
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Excellent situation, a stone’s throw from the Garden of Remembrance, Writer’s Museum and the Hugh Lane Gallery.

My room was very narrow, but had a very tall ceiling. There was hardly room to squeeze yourself past the foot of the bed, so I had to get over the bed to get to the TV or window. The view out the window was bizarre, looking across a roof top of vents to the balconies of flats beyond.

The bed was VERY comfortable; I slept like a log.

The TV’s power socket seemed to be dud, but the guide book in a drawer explained that the switches on the bed head had to be used to activate it first. With no warning visible someone travelling with me, and another reviewer previously, concluded that their TVs didn’t work.

The mechanism to push the room’s door shut had rammed a hole in the wall. The wood where the bathroom door closes was gouged. There was dust gathered in a cleft between the wall and some paneling. The control knob on the radiator was gone (a friend in another room did have one). The temperature was OK, regardless. There were lots of tea bags and those UHT milk portions. One of the bed’s two wall lamps didn’t work. The water in the shower was uncomfortably cold, but never got hotter for me. NOT good. At 9.25am on the day I left the power cut out to everything except the main ceiling light. This happened in a different room my friend was in, also.

A “casino” sign outside had us worried, but that was shut, along with the bar. They were closed for renovations. At times you could here a low tap, tap, tap of a hammer in another part of the building. Note: when the work is done the place will be very different. There are handsome stained-glass paneled doors inside, and fancy moldings on the staircase – it might look grand when the work is done.

40 Euro for a night was a great price for this location. Maps call the road "Denmark Street", but on a sign its name changes just where Barry's is, peculiarly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Steveodo
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I had trouble finding a mid-range hotel in Dublin at short notice, so was pleased that Barry's Hotel was available.

After reading some reviews on Tripadvisor, I approached the hotel with trepidation! However, I was quite happy with my stay there. The price was reasonable and the hotel is well located, close to buses, trams and the hop on/hop off sightseeing buses. The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel has seen much better days but I was told that the hotel is in the process of renovation (hence why the bar was closed).

My room, 10, was on the 2nd floor, an incredible 62 steps up (although they are shallow). The room was quiet - not the best view but quiet is important to me. However, although outside was quiet, the sound of elephants walking up the stairs and the banging of doors, especially in the morning, was disturbing.

The bed had crisp, clean sheets. The mattress was old but I slept well. The bathroom had the smallest shower cubicle ever! I am 5ft 9 and a UK size 16... and I could just about move around. Worth checking if you are large. Towels were clean, plenty of tea/coffee and a teeny, tiny TV showing a few channels, without a remote control.

Breakfast was fine for a budget hotel and it was a nice touch to extend breakfast from 10am to 11am at weekends.

There may be better hotels to stay in for the price but I was happy with Barry's.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, make sure you check on what floor you're on. Check if you have...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo