Dergvale Hotel
Castle Hotel(Dublin)
  • Bar/Lounge
Gate Hotel(Dublin)
  • Restaurant
All reviewso'connell streetfamily run hotelno lifttop floorcity centrean older buildingrecommend this hotelminute walksingle roomquiet streetbudget hoteltemple barhotel is locatedexplore dublinwould stay againroom ratewalking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in Dergvale Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel was very clean and breakfast was good. We had plenty of food. The staff were very friendly.
Location is very good. Pity about the rain.
I would recommend this hotel for a weekend in Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Me and my fiancee recently returned from a four-night stay at the Dergvale Hotel, and overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

The hosts were friendly and helpful, the breakfasts were decent (two rashers of bacon, an egg and two sausages) and the room, while small, was comfortable and clean.

On our first night, we had a problem with our shower and reported it to reception just before we left for the evening - we woke the following morning to find it had been fixed. On another occasion they even offered to dry some of my fiancee's clothes as they were damp from the heavy rain, which was really nice of them.

But I must mention its wafer-thin walls; you really can hear the people in the room next to you - and they don't even have to be talking that loud. We stayed Monday to Friday and slept well every night as the worst we experienced was some guests who occasionally talked a little too loud! I would imagine some guests can be a bit noisier!

All in all though it's the only real downside of the Dergvale, which is pleasant, clean, reasonably priced and just a stone's throw away from the city centre.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Sadly, I would not stay at this hotel again...
My mother, grandma and I state for three nights. Upon arrival, it appeared to be fairly nice inside, but the room was dirty. The floors weren't vacuumed and is extremely outdated. Our room had three single beds, with a tiny, old tv in the corner. The owners work there and have had the place for 70 yrs... The lady wasn't very welcoming when we checked in. The breakfast room seemed nice... But turned out to be the biggest disappointment of our stay... Orange juice was placed on tables, and I someone from another table didn't drink it, they took it and put it I. A different table for someone else to drink- it was not freshly poured, and sadly, it was warm. The toast was cold, which we figure that if someone didn't eat they toast, they would take it back and give it I someone else. The coffee is instant coffee... We asked for a pot, and saw the lady take amply from another table, and she poured it into ours to fill it up, we couldn't believe it.

The server was very unfriendly, and acted as if we ruined her day because we were asking for some butter. When we said thank you, she said nothing and walked away. The bacon was not cooked and cold. Several times my table ordered something, and it came the opposite of what we ordered.
The only two good things was that the mattress felt comfortable, and that it was in walking distance to main attractions within the city centre.

Overall, we sadly did not enjoy the hotel. If it was a cheap price, then i would have expected it to be a poor stay, but it was pricey and not worth the money. The breakfast was bad, the service was not friendly, and the importance of treating the guest with kindness and high standards were not reflected. As of right now,  I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank travellingqqq
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Terrific 2Star hotel. Lovely ambience - great cooked breakfast. Just 5 mins walk to O'Connell Street. Room very comfortable. Bus 16A from Dublin Airport to City centre.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tommy49London
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This is a great little budget hotel. Its a little out of the way, but its not a far walk to O'Connor Street, where you can catch a bus to anywhere in town. The staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included. You have a choice of a few items that are served to your table. The rooms are decent and ours had its own bathroom, but some rooms have a shared bathroom. The TVs are old and only get a few channels, but we were out most of the time so it didn't really matter. I would recommend this to people looking for a decent place to stay on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family