“Home from home...”

Ranked #51 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Andover, United Kingdom
“Home from home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

...for me as I stay reasonably frequently on business. The best things about the hotel are the staff. I requested a DVD player which duly arrived the next day and was all set up with TV for me to use. Staff very friendly and obliging. Only one small problem - one of the young male waiters at breakfast had clearly not washed his shirt for some time and the smell of BO was overpowering especially by the 3rd morning of my stay. (Needs a bit of 'personal hygiene' training.) Apart from breakfast, which is excellent, I don't usually eat at the hotel as there are many better places in Dublin to eat. But the pillows are the best in the world the rooms are spacious and comfortable (not all Hiltons are roomy) and generally the hotel is mainly quiet (I can't comment on weekend noise as I only stay mid-week). However, if you want complete peace and quiet, don't take a room over the bar area where tables/chairs are moved during the night on a hard floor which resounds upwards to the bedroom! Not good at 3.00 am.

Room Tip: Not over any public area eg bar/function room if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Guest_Relations_HD, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Lauran1902

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Dublin.

I was delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, it was wonderful to read. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff.

I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed our full buffet breakfast, at your own leisure. I have noted your comments regarding the breakfast team and I have forwarded your comments onto the relevant department manager.

I am thrilled that you find the rooms comfortable and spacious and find our pillows particularly comfortable. We are very greatful for your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the near future.

Louise Coyne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Offaly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here, got deal on nights stay. Hotel is a great location to get in and out of. Check in always friendly and very helpful, staff are great.

Rooms are really modern and well stocked. Always enjoy stay, bar is good size and well run. Only complaint is restaurant is not great, and lets hotel down. Breakfast is poor for a Hilton and lunch is only average. Bar food is not bad, so if the food improved it would help.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very nice place to stay. Clean, comfortable, staff was very helpful. Within walking distance to the Templebar area, Grafton Street. Comfortable bed, quiet room. Would stay there again next time I am in Dublin.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank geohohl
Guest_Relations_HD, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear geopony

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor, your kind words are very much appreciated.

I am most pleased you found the location of the Hilton Dublin ideal for your trip, thank you for mentioning it.

I have passed on your comments to the senior management team.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back sometime in the not too distant future.

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed in this hotel a few nights ago. The hotel reception was well staffed and all were smartly dressed, polite and efficient. Very formal with an air of friendliness as you would expect.
The room was well decorated, clean and approriately furnished. It has all the amenities necessary to support a one night stay or longer.
The air conditioning worked perfectly and the windows that opened allowed some fresh air in as well.
The view from my room overlooked the canal and convenient tram station, 30 seconds walk from the front door that can easily transport you to Connolly Station.
The bathroom was brght and airy and well stocked with lovely products and clean white towels.
The bar area and reception had lots of space to meet with colleagues (10 of us stayed) and enjoy a discussion or a well earned drink at the end of the evening.
Breakfast was as good as other Hilton's and of course the breakfast team were efficient, polite and not in your face (not a morning person).
Check out was painless.
Frequently around the hotel each staff member I encountered greated me, that was a really great touch.

1 Thank Briu1970
Dear Briu1970

We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the near future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I needed to work from the centre of Dublin and this was the closest hotel to the offices. Its been a while since I have stayed in a Hilton.

I arrived late (due to a delayed flight) at about 1:30am. Check in was fast and my room had been preselected and the key ready, so in my room within 5 minutes - excellent.

The room is fairly small (considering the price), but warm and the facilities all worked.

On the first evening, I left my room and noticed the acrid smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor. Obviously others had as well and complained because there was a note under my door (and I assume others in the corridor), saying that smoke had been smelt and that there were smoking rooms if people required it - it is a well written letter that could not raise offence - a nice touch on a touchy subject and I have not seen this before.

I went to the bar and had to wait over 10 minutes to be served. There seemed to be a lack of staff and those there seemed fairly slow. Annoying. This speed of service continued when ordering food - you really have to call out when you see a member of staff passing, although they are friendly and professional when you catch them - it is the catching that causes the issue!

I ordered a newspaper but this did not arrive on day one (I assumed because of my late arrival). It did not arrive on day 2 so I went to reception and was told I had to order papers - given that I had, I found this a bit insulting. There was no apology for non-delivery, but they did find a copy from the lounge (pre-read) for me. I don't mind the mess up - but the lack of an apology.

Breakfast is an average affair for a hotel of this quality - I did think the buffet eggs were old and rubbery - always a problem with buffet eggs. However everything I want was there, but certainly not worth the 14 euro price.

This is a fine hotel, but service seems to be slow and there does not feel to be that general welcome.

Over all, would I stay here again - well if I have meetings in the office next door yes - if I have meetings elsewhere in Dublin, I think I would stay elsewhere.

1 Thank Hawkwind1966
Bucks County, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last week while traveling on business. We love to stay in center city Dublin, and this hotel is on the Green LUAS line. It is a 10 or 15 minutes walk to Stephens Greene and Grafton St. The rooms were very nice and sparkling clean. The buffet breakfast included a cooked Irish breakfast and many other options. The restaurant was very lightly used at dinner, but there were walkable options outside the restaurant. Biggest downsides were the lack of drawers for clothing in the rooms and the terrible internet service. It was necessary to re-enter the password for the internet everytime you woke your phone up. Also, I could not use the wifi phone apps on my I-phone because the phone calls kept dropping to the intermittent internet service. Also, had to enter the password even when connecting a laptop with the ethernet cable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank D-townNigel
Dear D-townNigel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Dublin.

Thank you for mentioning our location, I was pleased to see you found it convenient.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to the wifi connection. I have forwarded all of your feedback to the front office manager for further review.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Dublin at some stage in the near future.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is an average, run of the mill Hilton hotel for UK&Ireland. Nothing great, nothing that bad. Certainly wouldn't put it as a 4*, but it's a solid 3* property. The breakfast is still pretty darn bland and boring. Watered down scrambled eggs, deepfried dry sausages, etc. The pastries are nice though. But certainly not the fabulous hilton breakfast you see at other European capital city hotels.

The gym is excellent. The rooms for some reason they gave me a handicapped double room as a Diamond member - they promised in their welcome letter a range of things which included flapjacks and granola bars - what came were two tiny sugar coated muffins. I would have liked what they had said they'd bring. Checkin was far understaffed and had to wait 15 minutes. Checked in at 1130am and the room wasn't ready - even though the hotel was pretty much empty. Wifi was very very VERY slow and sketchy at best - not worth the bother even if it was free as a Diamond.

Service not very personable, but because it's a hilton I come back, really wish they'd clean up their act a bit.

The room was pretty rough around the edges the a/c and heat is confusing to use, the bathroom had seen better days (room 401) and the shower was a trickle. Definitely not worth the crazy prices they charge. But yeh... i will be coming back again, just wish I had a better choice in that price point vs the Conrad Dublin.

I did like the firm mattress.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.... don't expect much with this property.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business