“No Complaints”

Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ayrshire
“No Complaints”
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Despite reading the mixed reviews about this hotel, we could not fault it at all. It is a typical Hilton Hotel - modern and very clean. It is in an ideal position - just 2 tram stops away from St Stephen's Green. Our room was on first floor and was roomy and clean. The breakfasts were amazing and certainly set us up for the day. The staff could have been friendlier, but all-in-all, would certainly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate rebooking.
(1) Tips for Dublin - takes lots of cash 14 Euros for 2 bacardis and 1 can coke! Total rip off.
(2) Book the Viking Splash tour - fun city tour on land and water
(3) Visit Kilmainham Jail in Dublin - really interesting and informative tour.

• Liked — Proximity to tram to reach city centre & high standard of accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Claire B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Nottingham
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I travel to Dublin frequently to visit my daughter. So thought, why not, ill try the Hilton and treat my wife as it was her birthday. I have to say the exterior and interior where not what I expected for a Hilton. But it is my understanding the interior is undergoing a refurbishment and will be up to scratch in a few months. I hope so as the room was dark and in need of some attention. The clenliness was very high, I could not fault that.
The staff within the Hilton Dublin is what makes this hotel truly shine. My wife and I were greeted and checked in by a lovely receptionist called Debbie, she was ever so nice and it seemed all the girls were very pleasant. She seemed genuinely interested in our trip and how our day was. It is rare to find someone who actually cares and takes the time to care.
That evening we met our daughter in the bar area which was fairly empty and there was a severe lack of atmosphere. For a city centre hotel I expected maybe some live entertainment or even some decent background music. We had a fun time anyway so that was no big deal, however I felt the manager in the bar was very intrussive and annoying. Unfortunatly his name escapes me but he was the only asian man in a suit and repeatedly interupted our party. I find it very welcoming when a staff member is attentive but he was just ridiculous. At least every five minutes he interupted us. After an hour we got up and left and went to the pub on the corner. Now I can see why the bar was empty.
Breakfast the next morning was fantastic with such a variety of food. The breakfast was lovely and hot and the staff were very friendly, especially Lisa the greeter at the door. She really does brighten up an early morning.
After breakfast we went to see the concierge. We were interested in the bus tours. Keith was very friendly, efficient and honest about all our queries. He truly pointed us in the right direction and we had a fantastic day out with our grandchildren. He is a true asset to the hotel. He certainly knows his stuff.
Overall the food, decor and general facilities are ok but it is the team that make this hotel superb. I will certainly return here on my next visit. Perhaps the building will be redecorated by then and I will have an even more enjoyble experience. Thank you again to all the Hilton staff members who made this such a special weekend for my wife and I.

• Liked — The clenliness, the team
  • Disliked — The bar manager, the decor,
3 Thank charlesh61
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We stayed at both the Hilton Dublin and Hilton Kilmainham over a long weekend through the honors program.

The hotel is a short (10-15min walk from Grafton Street) and has a tram stop right next to it which is very useful getting back and forth from the city centre.

Getting to the hotel from the airport is easy enough. Use the Airport 747 (6 Euros) to take you to O' Connell Street, walk down Grafton Street (go straight down the road) to St Stephens Green and then get the tram the rest of the way.

We found the hotel and room very average. Its clean and tidy but does should a little wear and tear. The staff are helpful but the hotel was very, very noisy. We had doors slaming all night and the walls seem to be paper thin. We heard the couple next door just talking and the guy to the other side coughing.

If I was pushed to decide between the Hilton Dublin and Hilton Kilmainham I would probably go for the Kilmainham and pay the extra for taxis. The Kilmainham is in much better condition, quieter with better rooms. It also has a fabulous gym and facilities. The only slight difficulty is its location which the Dublin Hilton wins on.

• Liked — Location next to the tram
  • Disliked — Very Noisy
2 Thank thesteils
Cardiff
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Stayed at this hotel with my wife for 2 nights, and picked it because of its location and good reviews here - some of them unjustifiably good in my opinion. I suppose though, like anywhere, it depends on the room you're allocated.

On the whole, the hotel is ok. There is nothing badly wrong with it but equally nothing to make it stand out. On the plus side, it has a great location next to the tram stop, looks modern and bright, nice restaurants etc. The staff were all quite friendly, and the concierge really knowledgeable and helpful with everything from places to go to booking us a taxi to the airport.

However, I did have a few issues. The first was arriving weary from the airport at around midday and being told that check-in was not until 3pm. I know this is fairly standard but you can usually check in before this and this is the first time I've actually ever been turned away! Actually, they probably did us a favour because we dumped the bags with concierge and went into town on the tram.

When we did get back, the room was ok on the whole but looked a bit tired and in need of refurbishment. There was no minibar, a ripped settee, no robes, no wardrobe (just a rail in an alcove) and, worst of all, the traveller's nightmare - the adjoining door. Next to us was an elderly American couple (coach party) who seemed to enjoy the TV at incredibly loud volumes. Another popular trick of theirs was banging things around and slamming doors - not really a problem until they got up at 5am and started! Then the tv went on. Then I started feeling murderous! One feature of this hotel seemed to be noisy corridors as well as quite an intrusive sound from the traffic outside...and we were 5 floors up. To be honest, as soon as we arrived I wasn't that impressed and asked to change rooms, but the hotel was full so no joy. Luckily they checked out the next day, but have some respect people! Some of us actually would like a decent night's kip.

The other thing which was a mixed bag was the food. The menu in the restaurant was nice and we ate there although I had to send something back for being cold. Room service menu promised much but delivered little. Both my wife and I ordered things which, when they arrived, were different to what was described on the menu, a bit bland and tasteless.

Overall then, a mixed bag. Would I stay here again? Probably not - I think I'd be tempted to try one of the other hotels and perhaps something with that little extra.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The lack of those 'little touches' which make a hotel stand out
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Stayed here for two nights during a Globus tour of Ireland. The hotel was clean, the rooms good sized and the breakfast quite tasty.

The location was right on the canal - which was rather dirty - and right next to the shuttle stop. Since we had to have the windows open, we did hear some noise from the shuttle stop throughout the night. Folks staying on a lower floor said the noise was quite bothersome.

It takes about 20 minutes to walk into Dublin center - by Trinity College - if you don't opt for the shuttle and though it seemed safe enough I don't think I would walk it at night. The route passes by a lot of office buildings so I think it would be a little too quiet at night.

There is a pub right across the street that folks seemed to enjoy.

• Stayed August 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2007

As a Diamond member (using points) I expected a little something extra - but it was not to be. . . no bathrobe, no complementary breakfast, no safe in the room, no minibar, 3 extremely drunk men perched on the front steps spewing profane remarks. . . I complained to the manager on duty who thanked me for being a loyal Hilton member but told me there was NOTHING she could do about any of my issues! I called the Hilton Diamond Desk back in the states who promptly moved us the following morning to the Dublin Conrad. The manager did nothing to keep us at the hotel except thank us for our stay. . . never again!

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank nldickey
somerset
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Staying with Hilton is always a pleasure but in this case it exceeded all our expectations.
A great peaceful location away from the noise of the city yet only minutes away. Also near to the hotel is the Barge Irish pub that makes a fab Irish breafast and great surroundings
From when we arrived to our sad departure the service we received was of an excellent standard.
We were greeted by a very lovely young Irish girl called Tonya, on reception who with a huge smile checked us in to our rooms.......latterly she was the one that recommended a meal in Dublin on a Saturday night to have a " Boxty", an Irish potato pancake with filling...the restaurant recommended, in the middle of Temple Bar was superb with its food and ambiance. Please pass on all our thanks to her.
The luas tram is only minutes away and two stops and you are at St Stephens green- ready to shop till you drop!
On the first evening we had dinner in the restaurant at 6pm prior to going to see .Riverdance. at the Gaiety Theatre...Please give special thanks to all the staff involved in particular to Karen Lang for her excellent attention to detail and lovely welcome....my steak was 'as good as it gets'- a great meal and service was had by all.
Throughout the evening in the bar we always had our share of nuts etc and a welcoming smile and humour from William behind the bar.
lets not forget the great buffet breakfast and your lovely Irish Colleen Lisa- A true ' jewel in the service industry, with her smile and humour and genuine willingness to help................
What more can we say ,all the staff concerned thank you for helping to make our weekend one that we will not forget-it was truly fantastic
what a magic combination the HILTON and DUBLIN
Malcolm and Maureen Marks

• Liked — the first class service
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends