Portobello Hotel
Ranked #107 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Great little hotel with a few issues. OK! The staff were 5 stars and helped us with any questions or problems. We have to say Valentino is great, this guy was a walking encyclopedia on Dublin.
The food package of a meal and a drink for €10 was great though sometimes disappointing because they had sold out. Good location to get into the city center, you could walk it 7n 20mins or
cross the road and get the bus.

So, downsides: The place has seen plenty of guests and so is in need of a bit of tlc. Our room had been recarpeted, but you couldnt open the door properly...the bathroom was nice, but a little attention to detail with grouting would add a star.

Be warned, the weekend is party time until 3am.....earplugs are a basic need.

On the whole, clean bed, hearty food and great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room...away from the road and the disco
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher S

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I arrived at hotel prior to check-in. The staff was accommodating and give me room choices.
Room is average but worked for me and my travel plans, I needed a place mainly to sleep because my intentions were to see as much of Ireland as I can.
Hotel can use an upgrade in amenities.
I was disappointed in the various rates which varied from Euro 69-219 per night for my stay, weekend prices were too high just for an average room. I know I could have gotten more at another hotel, for the same price, oh well, I hope I have better luck next visit.
Hotel is 25mins walk to city center , dollar for dollar you maybe better off booking hotel in city. I do not mind the walk but accommodations maybe better elsewhere for a few extra dollars.

Room Tip: There is a club directly below hotel. The second floor(rm 211) facing streets but once window is clo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank vsa1
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked Landsdowne hotel months ago As attending Michael Buble concert.Upon arrival to check in at 4 pm we were informed that no rooms were available and we were being relocated to another hotel.had already paid for parking - not refunded. Relocated to the Portobello Townhouse.We were informed at the Landsdowne that this hotel was much better than theirs. Well if that is the case The Landsdowne must be a complete shambles altogether . We arrived back to the hotel after the concert to be greeted to music blaring. This music continued until 3 in the morning! I rang reception to complain and the receptionist informed me that this information was on the website. I informed him we had not booked to stay here and nobody else should book to stay here either!

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Cblb1
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I will never stay here again! I would never recommend anyone to stay here!!
Loudest room ever, blaring music until after 3am!!!!
We had book another hotel (Landsdown Hotel) but due to their overbooking or as they said a plumbing issue we got placed here.
Don't stay here!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Aloofasc
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We booked a room at the last minute and paid 48€ for the night. Not a 5 star but we didn't expect that. Room was clean, reception courteous and we could sleep a good night for a reasonnable price. All we hoped for.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We (me & my husband) stayed here for a weekend break in Dublin, having struggled to find accommodation that was reasonably priced and available we found this gem. Although a little further out than we would have perhaps liked (it was about a 20-30minute walk to Grafton St/Temple Bar) the hotel was great, the staff were really friendly and helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. Our room was clean and had a good shower, we overlooked the road and although a little noisy because we were above the outside drinking area this did not cause us a problem. Great breakfast and a nice bar - we'd recommend it. Although not cheap, it was reasonable by Dublin standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel has seen better days. The room we had looked out over the roof, garbage and a air conditioning unit even though there was no AC. It is located in a part of town where Lebanese and Indian food stores outnumber Irish food. The Hotel manager was nice, sitting area furniture like the rest of the place was in need of replacement. Elevator was kind of scary. For the price $79 Euros it was bearly OK for a night. Dinner food wasn't being served in the bar because of the bank holiday. Ate down the street at the Barge. That was when we noticed the Hilton next door. Checked the price and rooms were $128 Euros. Bed was bad and the pillows are as thin as cardboard. Carpeting in the halls and the rooms needed to be replaced. Pick somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family