Portobello Hotel
  • Room Service
  • Pool
The Dean(Dublin)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsbar downstairsroom was cleanharcourt streetspent nightscity centreearly hoursdecent hoteltea coffeetemple barwould stay againgood nights sleepbars and restaurantsbooked this hotelreception staffpubnoiserathmines
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was only in Dublin for one night and I chose this location to be within walking distance of the car rental place...as I did not want to drive through "downtown" Dublin...especially with my first experience driving on the left side. It's kind of a hike to get up to Trinity Bar and the like, if that is your focus, but still manageable on foot if you want to get a real look at the city. Busses are conveniently close and available if you prefer.

The hotel was very clean and with an attached restaurant it made for a quick and convenient choice for dinner. Breakfast was also delicious. The owner was there when I checked in and he was very friendly and helpful. And as it turned out, I accidentally left my travel journal behind. When I contacted them, he quickly replied to inform me that they had found it. And when I told him that I was not passing back through Dublin to retrieve it, I asked if I could pay to have him mail it back to me in the States, which he was more than gracious to do.

The only negative experience had nothing to do with the hotel, but there was construction on the street and they worked well into the late hours. The windows are old and not the best for sound dampering, but I pulled out some ear plugs and all was right with the world!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel itself is nice and room was clean, maybe a bit noisy at times but we could bear that.
The front desk staff - very unprofessional, kept us 10min at the desk sharing jokes, stories and asking about personal stuff which I disliked, he was so into his storytelling that he did not care to notice we were tired and in bad moods and our stay was not for pleasure reasons. Having been a receptionist in a hotel for few years myself I would never choose to act this way. I understand chatting about weather ect but not asking about personal stuff! Just felt this had to be mentioned...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank laoise H
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Hi Guys
If your looking for a hotel that is ideally located in a beautiful part of Dublin with a view of the canal,
Great pub's, amazing restaurants and walking distance to the city centre , oh and of course the all important Valve for money then stay here.
This hotel is small and is attached to the famous Portobello pub, so a great atmosphere is guaranteed,
The rooms are spotless and more than adequate, they have everything including WiFi.
You can have breakfast in the pub and a good old Irish fry up is on the menu.

I have stayed here on numerous occasion's and each time this little hotel fits the bill.

Clientele is European and there is a great buzz in the pub throughout the day and into the night.
Noise from the hotel is not a problem

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

this is the second time we've stayed here in 3 years (2009 watched bruce also)
top-class food, good beer, a little noisy with being situated on a main road but
it's liveable.
very friendly staff & clean and easy walk into main centre or aviva stadium or rds.
will go again.

Room Tip: ask for the side facing the canal - great view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is basic small hotel and you get what you pay for. We stayed one night and found the receptionist friendly and welcoming. The room, on the third floor, was spotlessly clean and looked over the canal. Breakfast was freshly cooked and plenty of whatever we fancied. I've read the review by a visitor in May and cannot understand why they wrote such a scathing report. I have to disagree totally with their findings and can assure anyone thinking of visiting Dublin on a budget The Portabello will be very hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple