“Not what we had in mind....”
Review of Hotel St. George

Hotel St. George
Ranked #70 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Well starting out parking is poor, so if you will have a car let them know ahead of time. The house itself has a great deal of character and charm...at least downstairs. Our room seemed like it was in the attic...the bathroom was soooooo tiny, we had to turn sideways to just get in. I felt like we were the poor girls in The Little Princess, being punished by living in the cold attic while the rich girls were warm and in pretty rooms. The heat was out too, if you didn't get that by the last comment. Then someone was smoking somewhere near us....it was overtaking the hall and our room. The staff when we arrived was not very sweet or happy. The one who came later helped us plan a dinner so she was fine. Despite the online promotion of live music in the parlor area every week....there was no music. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it. The breakfast area was cute and the wait staff were the redeeming factors of this place. Breakfast was good, but I won't stay here on our next trip.

Room Tip: If I were to book a room here again, I would ask for a room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sunsroufe
262AnthonyK, Director of Sales at Hotel St. George, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hi there, thank you for your review. We are sorry that you seem to have had a poor experience with us, as we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction with our product. As we are located in a magnificent period Georgian property, each one of our rooms differs to the next and that is part of the charm of staying in a period property. We are very disappointed to hear that you were overwhelmed by the smell of smoke and I can confirm that we are reviewing our rooms designated for smoking and their locations in the building. We do unfortunately have a very small car-park, however, many city centre properties have no parking facilities at all. We are delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and that our waiting staff were pleasant. We are very surprised to hear that you have seen an advert for our property regarding live entertainment and I am equally as stunned as our staff regarding this. We do not advertise live entertainment as we don not have it,. I would be very much obliged if you could contact us directly at info@hotel-st-george.ie to let us know where exactly this was advertised and perhaps send a picture or image of the alleged ad. Thanks again for your constructive comments and perhaps you will reconsider visiting us again.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

hmm mixed reviews of this hotel, very dated as you enter with a distinct smell of mustiness, the pictures shown by the hotel are very glammed up and certainly not like that in real life, however the staff couldn't do enough for you, but the hotel room itself was very sparse, we asked for a twin room but the two beds were pushed together with no room to separate them, which could be awkward if you were travelling with a friend of the opposite sex, luckily I was with my mother, breakfast was good and hotel was central and beds were clean, my main complaint is the curtains were falling off the rail and the shower was filthy, would I stay again ............no

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank flo043
karldelaney, Manager at Hotel St. George, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I apologize that you did not enjoy your time with us as much as we would have liked. I noted your positive comments regarding our staff , our central and beautiful location on Parnell Square and our Fine Irish breakfast and thank you for these. I have also noted your constructive comments and we have rectified the issues you pointed out. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard in Hotel St George. Indeed we take pride in our cleanliness. I can only apologize and hope that if you are in Dublin again you allow us a chance to redeem ourselves. If you wish to discuss this further with me please do contact me at karl@hotel-st-george.ie

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my sisters and niece. The bed was very comfortable, rooms were spacious and clean. The breakfast was lovely, and plenty of it. Staff were very friendly and helpful when we asked where the best places to go for shopping etc. Within walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants, Temple Bar and train station. I would definately recommend this hotel and stay again if I was returning to Dublin. It is on a main road, but if you want a quiet room, just ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are much quieter...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank karenwales01
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Okay The St George is not the Ritz but I don't think we could have done any better for the price ANYWHERE in Dublin. Staff was friendly and accomodating, booked our day trips, called taxis and gave us bus directions (stops right in front of the hotel) when needed. We had good luck with our rooms, a single and a double, they were clean, the bathrooms were nice, plenty of towels and soaps. Breakfast was great and so was the service. Comfortable lobby to relax in and go over our travel plans. Location very good for us, we could either take the ten minute walk down to the O'Connell St Bridge and Temple Bar or if we didn't feel like walking just hop a bus.

The only minor negative was a shortage of hot water early in the morning although this was posted beforehand and did not affect me, I took showers at night anyway.

Room Tip: My first stay the room was back from the street and there was very little noise. Second stay the ro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We arrived earlier then the allocated check in time and they allowed us to go into the room. I asked for a room away from the road, specfically. The room was not only on the road side but above the front door. It was too cold then way too hot, they have radiators not aircon. We actually slept with the window open. The spare blanket had another persons hair all over it.

Overall, good value for money, pretty central and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a weekend break here in Dublin and found the hotel to be pretty good. The location is perfect, literally a stone's throw from the main street and easy walking distance to most places, but the Green or Big Red Hop on/off, and normal bus service stops are very close too and you can get a ticket from Reception. We had asked for a quiet room so were a bit dismayed to find ourselves in a room with a view over the main road and single glazing, but either the Guinness, luck, or the comfortable beds meant we did not have a disturbed night!
The room was comfortable with plentiful tea and coffee facilities, twin beds and used but serviceable furniture. The bathroom was clean and the shower hot. My only complaint was that the hall and stairs area was very overheated, but I imagine this was to keep the reception staff warm as they were placed close to the front door!
Breakfast was excellent, very filling full 'English' and very quickly served. All in all a grand little hotel and well recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kittygangar
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stopped over at this hotel en route to Rosslare Ferry. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very comfortable and clean. TV, hairdryer and toiletries all provided. Hotel situated just a 5 min walk into the centre of Dublin, where there are numerous bars, restaurants and great shopping.
Breakfast really good with friendly, helpful staff. We would definitely stay again should we be back in Dublin.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple