“Ageing, but very Irish”

The Bonnington Dublin
Ranked #117 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed in the Regency because of the vicinty to Dublin University. The Hotel served the purpose well for a couple of days. However, for a longer stay we would probably chose another place. The Regency is ageing, the wifi does not work very well inside the guest rooms, breakfast is very standardized (but ok) in a rather dark Dining hall. Elevators work - sometimes. Bathrooms are very basic, indeed. But taken all this together, it is a very Irish experience and therefore ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on providing a warm Irish Welcome and are currently upgrading all Hotel Bedrooms. I hope you will consider The Regency Hotel for a future stay
Carol

Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Where to start?Before we even got to the room we were told to go somewhere else for food off a staff member as the place next door was apparently much nicer and cheaper. It was the budget room, bathroom was clean..that was all. Beer bottles thrown behind bed, phone ripped from wall, walls were filthy, hole in carpet, wallpaper torn off wall. The blanket had tiny holes in it as well. Smell of weed was so strong. After complaining we were moved to a different room which was fine until we sat on the bed and realised the sheets were wet and smelt of beer. We ended up asking for a refund and thankfully managed to get a room somewhere else. My first weekend off since November and it didn't get off to a great start. Will never stay there again they were substandard rooms even if they were just budget, still expect a clean beer free weed smelling room without holes in wallpaper and carpet and would definitely not recommend it.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Wendy,
Firstly I would like to apologise for your experience at The Regency Hotel, this is completely unaccepatable and I can assure you a full investigation will be undertaken to discover how this happened. Wendy I have checked with all Duty Managers and our Reception Team and can find no record of your complaint, I would appreciate it if you could contact me direcly (carol@regencyhotels.com) with your full name and the date of your visit so that I may look into this further. I look forward to hearing from you.
Carol McKenna

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I would not recommend this hotel, firstly the lift doesn't go all the way to the top floor you have to get on the 4th floor and walk to the next floor, then after a great night after a family function we were told there is no residents bar open as there is no staff we couldn't believe it we were then told to go to a conference room were there was a poker tournament on then we told to go back to the reception to to get a drink to be told no again that there is no staff to serve drink, the next morning going into the breakfast room I was told by a member of staff that breakfast was finished as there was no food left it was only 10:10 I explained I paid for a room & breakfast then was made feel very uncomfotable as I was told we would have to ask the chef could make more food.. I was made to feel very uncomfotable the staff in breakfast room. the manager then offered us free parking for inconveniece I couldnt believe it we were actually going to be charged 8 euro to park in your hotel.. absoulate shambolic experience

Room Tip: please employ friendly staff who want to work in a hotel we all have our bad days but I was never ma...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark B
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Mark
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had a dissapointing stay with us, please email me directly on carol@regencyhotels.com and I will ensure that we respond to your complaint.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our stay was very disappointing. We were aware we booked a budget room and therefore that it would not be up to the same standard of the deluxe rooms featured on the hotel website, however even the most basic attention was not paid to the room we were given. Our 'non-smoking' room stank of stale smoke, the bath and sink area were unclean, the paper thin walls were cracked and stained, and the bed sheets were very dated and well worn. This was further insult to us having to wait for our room to be ready, despite arriving an hour and a half after check-in time.

Room Tip: The budget rooms are not in any way like the pictures provided and do not fit the price bracket at a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Annie

I am sorry to hear that you had such a dissapointing stay at the Regency Hotel. We are quite honest in our descriptions of our Budget rooms with pictures included, these rooms are unrenovated rooms in an older section of the Hotel and as such are sold at a discounted rate. The Regency Hotel has been a non smoking Hotel since January 2010 so the issue you raised with a stale smell of smoke should not have happened. I will forward a copy of your review to our Accommodation Manager to have corrective action taken to prevent a repeat.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was there in 2012 - 2013, and i have to say that the quality is very good, and the staff, very nice. The room was Amazing, with an incredible view all over the North part of the city, and very clean. I spent such a good Holiday there. The price was so cheap, and it was wonderful for a room like that.
The only problem was that in the middle of the Holiday a water infiltration under the floor of my room came, so i had some problems with that, but it can happen.
Very good hotel and very good prices. I probably will book there again if I'll be in Dublin again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Gabriellino86
Carol M, Reservations Manager at The Bonnington Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your kind comments, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in 2012 and 2013 and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Five of us went out for dinner last Saturday night for my mother’s birth date day .we arrive and the bar was very busy but got some seats just as we were about to leave . We order our food at 18:30 and then got some drinks at the bar . After about 15 minutes there was no sign of are food but we did notice a lot of other people who had been there before us looking around for their food too. There was only two waitress on, they were rushed off their feet, I we could hear them saying to people ‘your food will be out in two minutes’ . But they were left there waiting along with everyone else .

Finally after 45 minutes we got our food. Which was not very nice, but at this stage we were all staring , there was still people who had ordered there food before us waiting for their food and they were going to the show that was on at eight and this was now 7:45 . Eventually someone called the manager when they were sick of the waitress telling them the food will be there in 2 minutes .
The manager came out but was absolute useless. This is the last time I will ever eat here. I only came here because it was near to my house . Next time I will go in to town ..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest
I am so sorry to her about your bad experience when visiting the Hotel for your Mother's Birthday Dinner. All of our food is freshly cooked to order and unfortunately on the evening you visitied we were exceptionally busy due to the sold out Brendan Grace Show taking place at the Hotel. I have passed your comments regarding Service and quality of your meal to our Operations Manager and Head Chef to ensure corrective action is taken to prevent a repeat.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

On arrival to see the show, there was No seating in place for people who arrived with tickets for
the show only. The people who had paid for a meal had occupied all the tables which left people looking around for a seat, with No help from the staff, wherever they were. A really disappointing night, also the toilets were really dreadful. Just wont be recommending this Hotel to anyone. I even left early, as the show lacked entertainment.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunaya

Dear Guest
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our recent Brendan Grace Show. We advertise our Shows as Free Seating however, it is true that we offer priority seating to guests who have booked our Dinner/Show package. We must do this as they have paid a higher price on their tickets to include Dinner and they also have first admission to the room as they are arriving approx 1.5 hours before the Show begins for Dinner Service.